The Student Room Group

Loughborough or York

Hi, as the title states I'm looking for advice for York or Loughborough to do maths. I'm looking for a course which have quite a few options to do mechanics/physics of maths. Here are my points for each:

Loughborough (AAA)
. Close to home (20 minutes)
. Great course support
. Impeccable accommodation
. Good for sport
. Top student experience and good SU

York (ABB)
. Russel group
. Really far away (two and a half hours)
. Lower entry requirements
. Not as good for sport
. Accommodation is good but not like Loughborough

However, the course looks more suited to me at York than Loughborough. I've had my heart set on Loughborough for ages now and I prefer everything about it by far, except the most important part of university, the course. It looks like York have a bigger focus on mechanics than Loughborough who seem more into statistics and finance. Does anyone have any opinion on what they would do?

Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Foyston
Hi, as the title states I'm looking for advice for York or Loughborough to do maths. I'm looking for a course which have quite a few options to do mechanics/physics of maths. Here are my points for each:

Loughborough (AAA)
. Close to home (20 minutes)
. Great course support
. Impeccable accommodation
. Good for sport
. Top student experience and good SU

York (ABB)
. Really far away (two and a half hours)
. lower entry requirements
. Not as good for sport
. Accommodation is good but not like Loughborough

However, the course looks more suited to me at York than Loughborough. I've had my heart set on Loughborough for ages now and I prefer everything about it by far, except the most important part of university, the course. It looks like York have a bigger focus on mechanics than Loughborough who seem more into statistics and finance. Does anyone have any opinion on what they would do?

Thanks

I would always pick the course you want to do more because that’s really what your going to university for but if you wouldn’t mind doing the course at Loughborough and it is better in every other way for you then maybe go with that - for me though the fact that you have lower offer and like the course at York more would sway me towards that if it was my decision because your really going to uni for the degree not just a nice apartment and a good sports team so it depends how important that is to you, are you looking more for a uni experience or a course you will really enjoy because this seems to be the descjon your stuck between (I also was but between too different unis) I went with course in the end over accommodation and social scene but that’s just me
Reply 2
Original post by emilybond:)
I would always pick the course you want to do more because that’s really what your going to university for but if you wouldn’t mind doing the course at Loughborough and it is better in every other way for you then maybe go with that - for me though the fact that you have lower offer and like the course at York more would sway me towards that if it was my decision because your really going to uni for the degree not just a nice apartment and a good sports team so it depends how important that is to you, are you looking more for a uni experience or a course you will really enjoy because this seems to be the descjon your stuck between (I also was but between too different unis) I went with course in the end over accommodation and social scene but that’s just me

So how did you find your decision? Are you glad you picked the course over the experience or do you sort of wish you bit the bullet and went for the better experience.
Original post by Foyston
So how did you find your decision? Are you glad you picked the course over the experience or do you sort of wish you bit the bullet and went for the better experience.

I think that the experience isn;t much worse than it would have been anywhere else it just isn;t as cheap as the other uni which is the only real downside, I spend a lot of time in lectures and stuff due to my course so yeh overall I'm happy I picked the course bcz you can have fun and join clubs at every uni but not every uni has the course you want
Reply 4
Original post by emilybond:)
I think that the experience isn;t much worse than it would have been anywhere else it just isn;t as cheap as the other uni which is the only real downside, I spend a lot of time in lectures and stuff due to my course so yeh overall I'm happy I picked the course bcz you can have fun and join clubs at every uni but not every uni has the course you want

Thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Latest