The Student Room Group

Applying for work experience and internship advice please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ajj2000
I doubt GCSEs are tough enough to be particularly good practice but yes - you can improve loads. It’s not just practice, it’s understanding the strategies and techniques.

Any idea where you did badly? Not answering enough questions? Answering incorrectly?

That seems to be a recurring problem with me, especially with maths. I think I understand how to get to the answer but I never truly understand the strategies and techniques.

My biggest issue was answering incorrectly, I didn't value accuracy as much as speed (even with speed I was too slow with answering questions).
Original post by Hiro2468
That seems to be a recurring problem with me, especially with maths. I think I understand how to get to the answer but I never truly understand the strategies and techniques.

My biggest issue was answering incorrectly, I didn't value accuracy as much as speed (even with speed I was too slow with answering questions).

Cool - so now you are analysing where you are going wrong. Seems like the first thing to do is to practice a bunch of questions to make sure that when there is not pressure you know how to do the calculations and get them right. Then repeat to make sure you are working accurately. Once you've done this we can discuss speed and strategy.
Reply 22
Original post by ajj2000
Cool - so now you are analysing where you are going wrong. Seems like the first thing to do is to practice a bunch of questions to make sure that when there is not pressure you know how to do the calculations and get them right. Then repeat to make sure you are working accurately. Once you've done this we can discuss speed and strategy.

Thank you! I'll be going to the library today, so I'll look for some verbal/numerical reasoning books 👍 I'll let you know how it goes!
Remember that if the library has nothing on the shelves you can reserve or they can request from the broader library system.
Reply 24
Original post by ajj2000
Remember that if the library has nothing on the shelves you can reserve or they can request from the broader library system.

I didn't know I could do that, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending