The Student Room Group

Love Island Repugnance

I don't understand reality TV at the best of times but at least a few of them have more interesting things going on in them than Love Island does. I question whether it has anything to do with love when it has far more to do with lust and boredom because boring people with muscles and Barbie-doll looks are at the centre of this show. Love Island at least makes me understand why our society can never improve itself-because the media constantly has a stranglehold on what we "should" be watching and tuning in to. Does anyone feel the same way as me and if you made a reality TV show what would it consist of?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JDINCINERATOR
I don't understand reality TV at the best of times but at least a few of them have more interesting things going on in them than Love Island does. I question whether it has anything to do with love when it has far more to do with lust and boredom because boring people with muscles and Barbie-doll looks are at the centre of this show. Love Island at least makes me understand why our society can never improve itself-because the media constantly has a stranglehold on what we "should" be watching and tuning in to. Does anyone feel the same way as me and if you made a reality TV show what would it consist of?

Nobody forces you to watch it. Why not just watch or do something else?
Plenty of people dont take it seriously and enjoy it for what it is. You are overthinking it.
Original post by 999tigger
Plenty of people dont take it seriously and enjoy it for what it is. You are overthinking it.

Nobody forces me to watch it but I am forced to listen, hear and read about it. But what is Love Island? It's total dreck and maybe insight into how low-grade people's standards are. Ahh well it's humanity in western culture guess it's not surprising or shocking.
Nobody forces me to watch it but I am forced to listen, hear and read about it. But what is Love Island? It's total dreck and maybe insight into how low-grade people's standards are. Ahh well it's humanity in western culture guess it's not surprising or shocking.

No you arent forced to listen or hear about it.
If you dont like western culture and you are unable to control yourself from hearing listening and reading, then go try some other cultures.
Some people see it as a bit of fun, others think its not their thing and find something else to do. Why do you have such a problem finding something else to do? Seems like you go out of your way to complain about it.
I cherish my near total ignorance of Love Island, I'm vaguely aware it's about crushing Z listers dreams on an island and that people get excited about it. I assume it has a theme tune with the word 'Love' in it.
No you arent forced to listen or hear about it.
If you dont like western culture and you are unable to control yourself from hearing listening and reading, then go try some other cultures.
Some people see it as a bit of fun, others think its not their thing and find something else to do. Why do you have such a problem finding something else to do? Seems like you go out of your way to complain about it.

Hey I'm not complaining about it, it's great to have something to laugh at. I guess it's logical for an argument to suggest I should just remove myself from the subject of my commissary, but why do that when it's so boring? If you complained about say the dance moves you saw during a casual viewing of La La Land I'd be grateful about it, I wouldn't advise you move to a foreign land where all dancing is illegal and you have to wake up at the crack of dawn each day and sniff cardamom pods.
Original post by StriderHort
I cherish my near total ignorance of Love Island, I'm vaguely aware it's about crushing Z listers dreams on an island and that people get excited about it. I assume it has a theme tune with the word 'Love' in it.

Occasionally so bad its good. Different audiences see different things in it.
Interesting because it has people watching in it and seeing if someone turns out the way you expected.
Reply 7
i just don't understand what you're saying tbh. 'the media constantly has a stranglehold on what we "should" be watching' - the media gives the general public what they want to watch. if no one watched Love Island, than surely it would be off the air like every other show that's tried and failed?

i've only watched maybe 10 minutes of Love Island on Youtube as i can tell from the thumbnails it wouldn't interest me. to answer your question tho the only reality tv i like are game shows, so would be something like that.

btw moved your thread to TV shows :couchpotato:
Original post by Joleee
i just don't understand what you're saying tbh. 'the media constantly has a stranglehold on what we "should" be watching' - the media gives the general public what they want to watch. if no one watched Love Island, than surely it would be off the air like every other show that's tried and failed?

i've only watched maybe 10 minutes of Love Island on Youtube as i can tell from the thumbnails it wouldn't interest me. to answer your question tho the only reality tv i like are game shows, so would be something like that.

btw moved your thread to TV shows :couchpotato:

Funny thing is Love Island did have a run that was cancelled in 2006 and then of course it came screeching back because everybody standards had been lowered by the time Love Island rebooted in 2015.

Game shows are great usually because they're fun, quirky, they serve a purpose and can be entertaining. I don't know what is entertaining about a bunch of brainless young men and women talking and performing boring tasks.
You’re obsessed.

I would be deeply ashamed to waste my time watching rubbish like Love Island or Big Brother. I have to have a lobotomy before I could appreciate shows like these.
I would never make "reality" TV as it the lowest possible form of entertainment.

The media offers us a huge variety of things to consume, it is up to individuals as to what they want to partake in.
Reply 12

We may not be forced to watch the show, but we are forced to share society with all the shallow, materialist, narcissistic types who's destructive lifestyles are being increasingly encouraged and emboldened by this kind of trash television.
(edited 4 years ago)
Given that it's been involved in 3-4 suicides depending on how you count, and in ruining who knows how many more random viewers' self-esteem, it should be cancelled IMO.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Given that it's been involved in 3-4 suicides depending on how you count, and in ruining who knows how many more random viewers' self-esteem, it should be cancelled IMO.

100% of people who have killed themselves have drank water.

BAN WATER!
Original post by DiddyDec
100% of people who have killed themselves have drank water.

BAN WATER!

I can never tell if you're being facetious and I always find myself hoping you are. C'mon. You know as well as I do that everyone drinks water, but only a select few people end up on Love Island, of that select few, an astonishing rate kill themselves, even compared to other reality TV. Jeremy Kyle was cancelled after just one suicide. Not cancelling Love Island lacks consistency if nothing else!

i dont personally watch it, its entertainment but i think its a mixed bag some people actually do it for love others not so much
I can never tell if you're being facetious and I always find myself hoping you are. C'mon. You know as well as I do that everyone drinks water, but only a select few people end up on Love Island, of that select few, an astonishing rate kill themselves, even compared to other reality TV. Jeremy Kyle was cancelled after just one suicide. Not cancelling Love Island lacks consistency if nothing else!

That is all part of my mystique.

Considering suicide is the biggest killed of men under 50 statistically there are probably many people who featured on Jeremy Kyle who ended up taking their own lives. But only after their episode had been aired and the cameras were no longer interested in their lives. Kyle was stopped because a "guest" killed themselves prior to their episode being airing and a week after filming.

The difference with Love Island is that the media continues to follow the contestants after they have left the show and social media typically tracks them for even longer. Both of the contestants took their own lives 2 years after being on the show. A lot can happen in 2 years that the producers of Love Island cannot be held responsible for.

If someone was to leave the show and 2 weeks later they are found dead then I might agree with you, but 2 years later is not a reasonable time frame in which you can blame a TV show they were once on.
Original post by DiddyDec
The difference with Love Island is that the media continues to follow the contestants after they have left the show and social media typically tracks them for even longer.

Exactly. You go on the show and you're cursed with publicity for life. If you got rejected, you're a reject for life and the world never lets you forget it; if you do well, you get hate mail from people who think you shouldn't have, from the people whose favourite you did better than. I submit that it is exactly that phenomenon you describe, the associated hate messages, that contributes to the suicides, and that it would be better if the whole thing wasn't happening.
Exactly. You go on the show and you're cursed with publicity for life. If you got rejected, you're a reject for life and the world never lets you forget it; if you do well, you get hate mail from people who think you shouldn't have, from the people whose favourite you did better than. I submit that it is exactly that phenomenon you describe, the associated hate messages, that contributes to the suicides, and that it would be better if the whole thing wasn't happening.

The world moves on from major news pretty quick let alone a Z list celeb. You will soon be forgotten.

They know what they are risking when they sign up, that is simply the nature of modern "reality" TV. Take or leave it nobody is forcing you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending