Scroll to see replies

Ignore that got an offer ABB for physics :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Good luck to everyone applying to the University of Southampton this year!

If you have any questions, or would just like to just chat with other applicants, please post below.

(I myself am a second-year student at the university, so feel free to ask me any questions you might have!)

For other applicant threads, please check this HUGE list of applicant threads HERE

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
(Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.)

hi!! Ive got an offer to study Psychology this year, so will defo be joining. I got A*BB xx
Original post by hannahnowell
hi!! Ive got an offer to study Psychology this year, so will defo be joining. I got A*BB xxYa

Yay! I am doing Education and Psychology so I will probably see you around :smile:
Are there any en suite accommodation options available under 130 GPB/w
Original post by retrix2102

The uni doesn't have any no, but look at liberty living, they've got cheaper ensuites I think :smile:
Original post by nathan1403
The uni doesn't have any no, but look at liberty living, they've got cheaper ensuites I think :smile:

Do en suites outside the uni come with a shared kitchen?
Do en suites outside the uni come with a shared kitchen?

Yep, although if you're willing to pay extra you could get a studio :smile:

There's a fees list on the website. :smile:

OMG. You're amazing + a lifesaver. Thank you for sharing. Looks like I am applying through here. :smile:
Original post by charlocat
OMG. You're amazing + a lifesaver. Thank you for sharing. Looks like I am applying through here. :smile:

Np! They're better value for money than the uni accom, only downside is it's about 2 miles away from Southampton uni
U

Np! They're better value for money than the uni accom, only downside is it's about 2 miles away from Southampton uni

Ugh! That sucks. Is that who you're with/ going to be with?
Ugh! That sucks. Is that who you're with/ going to be with?

Nope, I'm in second year so renting private :smile: Last year I stayed in a non-ensuite room (Glen Eyre), which is a lot nearer to campus. In hindsight I probably would've stayed with liberty living though, sharing a bathroom really isn't great :tongue:
There's a fees list on the website. :smile:

I've seen that and that is why I am asking for options.
Does anyone know what happens over Christmas in halls? Can we stay? Can we leave stuff? Or do we have to take it all home and bring it all back in Jan?
Does anyone know what happens over Christmas in halls? Can we stay? Can we leave stuff? Or do we have to take it all home and bring it all back in Jan?

All halls are open over Christmas as far as I'm aware, most people go home and leave their stuff at uni. I'm not sure whether catering runs though if you're going for part-catered ones
What all expenses do I need to consider apart from Accommodation, food and laundry? How much does the bus pass cost? Also, are there any part-time job opportunities?
What all expenses do I need to consider apart from Accommodation, food and laundry? How much does the bus pass cost? Also, are there any part-time job opportunities?

Probably worth factoring in money for just going out with mates and stuff like that, printing, books and general stationary, toiletries (including toilet paper if ensuite or living in a shared house), travel home/to see friends. I would imagine you can find part time jobs, there'll be lots on campus and off campus, so I wouldn't worry too much.
Bus passes are £120 for 90 days, or £110 if you're a student. They also have on that lasts the whole of the academic year, which is £285. You need to sign up with your uni email to get the discounts.

I spend about £200 per month on things other than food and rent, although in your very first term you'll be buying lots of study materials and going out lots so make sure you've got some extra money! Lots and lots of job opportunities so dw about that :smile:
I spend about £200 per month on things other than food and rent, although in your very first term you'll be buying lots of study materials and going out lots so make sure you've got some extra money! Lots and lots of job opportunities so dw about that :smile:

Do you have a ballpark figure for the expenses of the first 2 months?
Do you have a ballpark figure for the expenses of the first 2 months?

I spent over £1500, but then again my course requires lots of books, I went out 2-3 times a week at the beginning, and I paid for a full year of sports membership upfront

If you're not much of a drinker, don't want to join expensive societies, and are just a bit more responsible in general I'm sure you'll be fine with a lot less though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending