The Student Room Group

What do universities do with applications they're 'not sure' about?

Do they contact the applicant maybe asking for further info or is the 'not sure' pile most likely to be rejected?

Thanks
Original post by bloomer36
Do they contact the applicant maybe asking for further info or is the 'not sure' pile most likely to be rejected?

Thanks

Varies depending on university and popularity of the course.

are you thinking of any information in particular?

Thanks

Most often?

Score all applications and hold any in a broad 'middle' pile. Decide a cutoff point after the Jan 15th guaranteed consideration deadline. Accept anyone above it, reject anyone below it.
Reply 3
Original post by UCAS_Expert
popularity of the course.

are you thinking of any information in particular?

It's not a popular course judging by what they told me. They said I can make an application to transfer to the second year 'as the course is not full'.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Most often?

Score all applications and hold any in a broad 'middle' pile. Decide a cutoff point after the Jan 15th guaranteed consideration deadline. Accept anyone above it, reject anyone below it.

I applied after the 15th :s-smilie::frown:

But they told me to still apply ASAP 'as the course is not full'.
I applied after the 15th :s-smilie::frown:

But they told me to still apply ASAP 'as the course is not full'.

you've misread this response. they will decide a cutoff point after the 15th January as they have to consider everyone before it. that cutoff point will be based on application contents, not the fact it's after 15 January (although some popular courses will do that). the fact they've told you there's space means they're still considering.
(edited 4 years ago)
If the course is still open, then as above they'll still consider you.

The process will largely be the same, although if they already know where the cutoff is for 'middle' applicants, your application may not be put on hold for a long period as others could have been.

To answer your original question, it's very uncommon to ask for additional work/questions from one applicant and not others. The process is mean to be consistent for all applicants were possible.
It's not a popular course judging by what they told me. They said I can make an application to transfer to the second year 'as the course is not full'.

They are likely to ask you to send a full transcript and might ask for a copy of your module specs/course handbook to make a judgement about whether your modules are compatible.

Because you’re not applying for first year entry your application won’t be compared against the other applicants for first year.

The AVERAGE time for a decision is 7 weeks. Entry into later years usually takes longer.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
They are likely to ask you to send a full transcript and might ask for a copy of your module specs/course handbook to make a judgement about whether your modules are compatible.

Because you’re not applying for first year entry your application won’t be compared against the other applicants for first year.

The AVERAGE time for a decision is 7 weeks. Entry into later years usually takes longer.

When would they ask for a full transcript? Before they decide whether to give me an offer? Because of course I haven't finished the first year yet to have a transcript. They asked me what my modules are and I told them, after which they told me I can apply for consideration. They didn't ask for course specs/handbook, though.

They told me when I asked them that they aim to respond to applications within two weeks. My guess is that it will be longer.

Anyway, thank you
When would they ask for a full transcript? Before they decide whether to give me an offer? Because of course I haven't finished the first year yet to have a transcript. They asked me what my modules are and I told them, after which they told me I can apply for consideration. They didn't ask for course specs/handbook, though.

They told me when I asked them that they aim to respond to applications within two weeks. My guess is that it will be longer.

Anyway, thank you

that's what PQ meant, a list of what you're currently doing. Any offer will be conditional on you passing your first year.
Reply 10
that's what PQ meant, a list of what you're currently doing. Any offer will be conditional on you passing your first year.

I see, thank you.
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
Entry into later years usually takes longer.

Why?
Because they need to check that whatever course content you've completed to date aligns closely with the programme you want to enter into.
Original post by Admit-One
Because they need to check that whatever course content you've completed to date aligns closely with the programme you want to enter into.

And the application has to go to an Academic member of staff unlike most other applications... not that I'm saying that would slow things down...
(edited 4 years ago)
And the application has to go to.an Academic member of staff unlike most other applications... not that I'm saying that would slow things down...

Hehe. Of course not, referring an application to an academic member of staff always results in a prompt and coherent response.

*shifty eyes*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending