The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

Existing Law Students' Thoughts on Studying Law at Greenwich

Hi Everyone,

My daughter has applied to Greenwich to study on the 3 year LLB Law course and has received an offer. She likes the location of the campus, the course details and knew someone that had studied a different subject there in the past, so applied on that basis. However, excluding various table rankings, there seems to be little other information available on what Greenwich is like for studying Law.

Are there any current or recent LLB students at Greenwich on this forum that could provide us with an insight into studying Law there? What is it like to be a Law student at Greenwich? What is the teaching like? Is there good support? Any connections with law firms? Which accommodation is best? What are the positives and negatives of studying Law at Greenwich? Would you have chosen Greenwich again, if you had the opportunity to study Law elsewhere? Any tips?

Any information is welcomed! Thanks.
Original post by StevoL
Hi Everyone,

My daughter has applied to Greenwich to study on the 3 year LLB Law course and has received an offer. She likes the location of the campus, the course details and knew someone that had studied a different subject there in the past, so applied on that basis. However, excluding various table rankings, there seems to be little other information available on what Greenwich is like for studying Law.

Are there any current or recent LLB students at Greenwich on this forum that could provide us with an insight into studying Law there? What is it like to be a Law student at Greenwich? What is the teaching like? Is there good support? Any connections with law firms? Which accommodation is best? What are the positives and negatives of studying Law at Greenwich? Would you have chosen Greenwich again, if you had the opportunity to study Law elsewhere? Any tips?

Ask here

https://www.greenwichsu.co.uk/societies/lawsociety/

Take the advice with a pinch of salt.

If she intends to qualify, then imo she should get the best grades possible and go to the best tier of uni she can manage.
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Ask here

https://www.greenwichsu.co.uk/societies/lawsociety/

Take the advice with a pinch of salt.

If she intends to qualify, then imo she should get the best grades possible and go to the best tier of uni she can manage.

Thanks for the info.
Original post by StevoL
Hi Everyone,

Hey! Glad to hear that your daughter has been offered a place with us! Unfortunately, I can't speak from a Law student perspective (I study Economics) but I can say that there is a fair amount of support available both from the lecturers themselves and from the Uni's student support team. Also, there is a couple of different options for accommodation that she might want - Cutty Sark is very close to campus and pretty cheap considering it's in London, but it is also pretty basic. Daniel DeFoe is also close to campus and is the more expensive, more well equipped accommodation - larger rooms, bigger kitchens etc. She might also like Avery Hill, it's a bus ride away but it's also pretty cheap and has everything you'd expect from student accommodation as well as a village shop and (by the time your daughter would be here) a brand new library. Of course, it depends on the sort of place you'd rather stay - personally, I stayed in DeFor initially and then moved to Avery because I didn't mind getting the (free) Uni bus to class, but you can compare them all here: https://www.gre.ac.uk/accommodation

Hope this helps! :biggrin: - Callum
Reply 4
Original post by UniofGreenwichStudent
Hey! Glad to hear that your daughter has been offered a place with us! Unfortunately, I can't speak from a Law student perspective (I study Economics) but I can say that there is a fair amount of support available both from the lecturers themselves and from the Uni's student support team. Also, there is a couple of different options for accommodation that she might want - Cutty Sark is very close to campus and pretty cheap considering it's in London, but it is also pretty basic. Daniel DeFoe is also close to campus and is the more expensive, more well equipped accommodation - larger rooms, bigger kitchens etc. She might also like Avery Hill, it's a bus ride away but it's also pretty cheap and has everything you'd expect from student accommodation as well as a village shop and (by the time your daughter would be here) a brand new library. Of course, it depends on the sort of place you'd rather stay - personally, I stayed in DeFor initially and then moved to Avery because I didn't mind getting the (free) Uni bus to class, but you can compare them all here: https://www.gre.ac.uk/accommodation

Hope this helps! :biggrin: - Callum

Thank you Callum. I will pass the information on.
Original post by StevoL
Hi Everyone,

Hi @StevoL

I have asked one of our Law students for feedback. You can find Isabelle's message below:

"The University does have a Law Facebook page in which prospective students are welcomed to ask questions to the current students. We also have the Law Society run by current Law students who will be happy to answer any queries. Regarding the teaching, we do have some amazing lecturers that are very passionate about their subjects.

They all use PowerPoint providing quite a lot of information and during the seminars some may be like a workshop in which you have discussions about the topic or you will be given a case scenario to work on before the seminar and go through it as a group during the hour with the lecturers. Every lecturer has drop-in hours and they give you as much support as possible to help you understand the topics, work through essay questions and answer any possible queries.

The Law department does have some connections such as a barristers Chamber (7 Bedford Row) and we have a Employability officer who sends to all the Law students emails on a weekly basis with all the opportunities available for us to sign up for extra lectures, go to different events (for example, we have a yearly Interview skills day in which students are interviewed in Canary Wharf in the HSBC building by their lawyers and other members).

The Law course is based at the Greenwich campus, reason why some students prefer to live in the accommodations that are closer such as Defoe Building. Some, such as myself, decide to commute as the University is well communicated. Furthermore, I would say that a positive of studying at Greenwich is the support from the employability office, the lecturers that really wish that you do your best, opportunities such as being part of the Innocence Project London (the only one in England connected with the USA working to help people that have been wrongfully convicted and are in prison when they are innocent), and the people you meet.

A negative side may be the lack of chargers within lecture theatres if you are using a laptop to take notes, some lecturers do not record their lectures, and some students may dislike specific teaching methods as a few lecturers may speak in a quieter voice. I do believe I would have chosen Greenwich again as I feel that it does provide you resources and the opportunity to do your best. My tip would be to do as much research as possible, check the modules, check all the choices that you have, go to Open Days and choose the place you can see yourself for the next 3 years. Within your studies you will learn more about solicitors and barristers and which path to take and you will be given the support needed.

It is not an easy choice, but I do wish you the very best of luck and I hope this information has helped."

I hope this helps :smile:

Joao
Reply 6
I am a first year student, and I didn't meet the entry requirements (BBB) for LLB law by a long shot (I got CCD).

Here's my perspective.

The university is great for commuting students (like myself) and offers free motorcycle parking which is great. There's no lack of public transportation either and there are plenty of cycle routes. Parking for cars is expensive, though.

The lecturers range from meh to amazing in my experience. This does also translate to the paper though, so don't allow yourself to fall behind due to a potential "meh" lecturer, as the University does provide a plethora of online materials which (along with your own notes, friends and textbooks) will be more than enough to make up the shortfall.

This subject is great if she has previously been taking subjects that are more subjective than objective, such as Philsophy, English, History, Geography rather than Maths & Science (although these are still great subjects to have) as a lot of the subject is arguing a point, especially when it comes to Contract Law & Problem Solving in the first year.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending