The Student Room Group

do you still get marks for using A Level methods and formula at GCSE

Scroll to see replies

hello i am hamad hussain from pakistan
Original post by hamad hussain

ok...
Original post by 1st superstar
then why not write down all of your mental calculations (unless the question is only worth a mark)

Where do you stop? Should you have to explain eg why 3x8=24, or is this considered acceptable to omit (given the context of the question)?

There was a period in which certain questions had a star written next to them to indicate that communication was an integral part of the matter. Perhaps this needs to be reinstated to remove the ambiguity of the "may" in the rubric.
Original post by dextrous63
Where do you stop? Should you have to explain eg why 3x8=24, or is this considered acceptable to omit (given the context of the question)?

There was a period in which certain questions had a star written next to them to indicate that communication was an integral part of the matter. Perhaps this needs to be reinstated to remove the ambiguity of the "may" in the rubric.

you do not need to give reasoning only a method
Original post by hamad hussain

Congratulations. Have a house point.
Original post by 1st superstar
you do not need to give reasoning only a method

Really? One would hope that your method would indicate your reasoning.

So, in your view, being able to recite the quadratic formula and shove some numbers in it correctly should be awarded full marks only if you write it down, even though it's entirely possible (and in fact likely) that the candidate has no idea whatsoever why nor how it works? Whereas someone who can mentally complete the square and derive the solutions through a clearly greater understanding of the processes should not be awarded full marks. How is that "fair"?

Edit - we all know how to find the nth term of a quadratic sequence. We can train people to follow the routine. And yet, I doubt that many will understand why it works. Why do we halve the second difference?
(edited 4 years ago)
I have solved this simultaneous equation by using Matrices as shown below and gives the correct solutions would an IGCSE Marker give me the marks for using this method as it is a Further Maths A Level thing would it be applied as this is the easiest method for me to use and shows me as a bright student who wants to get a 9 IMG_5739.JPG

Original post by David Getling
Unless you are told to use a specific method you can use any valid method.

I smile when I contemplate what most A-level markers would do if they came across a really bright student who had used Lagrangian or Hamiltonian mechanics to solve a problem.
Reply 87
Original post by liamlarner
I have solved this simultaneous equation by using Matrices as shown below and gives the correct solutions would an IGCSE Marker give me the marks for using this method as it is a Further Maths A Level thing would it be applied as this is the easiest method for me to use and shows me as a bright student who wants to get a 9 IMG_5739.JPG

Yes this should* get you all the marks. It's not going to impress an examiner though and may just annoy them more than anything because they have to deal with a method that isn't on the mark scheme! This method seems longer to me so it looks like a waste of time when the direct algebra method is so fast.

* there's a small chance that the examiner won't follow correct procedure and you will lose marks for this question. This is why personally I would always stick to on spec methods unless there is a very good reason not to e.g. an off spec method is much faster or you can't see any other way to do the question. Using off spec methods like you have done here just creates added risk which isn't worth it.
Delete
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 89
It might do if you had actually found the correct inverse. https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/matrix-inverse.html

It looks correct to me :confused:
delete
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 91
Incorrect determinant value, hasn't swapped things around. Try to multiply his answer out, I get x = 31/7, not 4.5

I got 4.5. Also this:

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=inverse+%5B%5B1%2C2%5D%2C%5B3%2C-1%5D%5D

What am I missing?
All this thread has taught me is that I feel robbed of a few marks because I used implicit differentiation in a tangent-to-circle equation question in one of my year 10 mocks.

Spoiler

Nothing. Have completely horlicksed it.🙄

I mean using matrices for 2 variable systems is a bit overkill :tongue: ig if you have a calculator that can do matrix inverses/multiplication it might be quicker. but i think most students would just use a fairly basic fx83 at gcse level.
Original post by Sir Cumference
Yes this should* get you all the marks. It's not going to impress an examiner though and may just annoy them more than anything because they have to deal with a method that isn't on the mark scheme! This method seems longer to me so it looks like a waste of time when the direct algebra method is so fast.

* there's a small chance that the examiner won't follow correct procedure and you will lose marks for this question. This is why personally I would always stick to on spec methods unless there is a very good reason not to e.g. an off spec method is much faster or you can't see any other way to do the question. Using off spec methods like you have done here just creates added risk which isn't worth it.

i just want to know would i get the marks because sometimes when i try to make one of the coefficients the same i mess up this is a method where i am less likely to mess up
Reply 96
i just want to know would i get the marks because sometimes when i try to make one of the coefficients the same i mess up this is a method where i am less likely to mess up

I explained this in my last post. You should get the marks but there's the risk that the examiner doesn't follow correct procedure - it's not possible to say how high this risk is.

If you are making mistakes with basic simultaneous equations then you should be focusing on fixing that instead of learning A Level methods. Using an off spec method because you make mistakes with relatively basic on spec methods is not a good reason.
I explained this in my last post. You should get the marks but there's the risk that the examiner doesn't follow correct procedure - it's not possible to say how high this risk is.

If you are making mistakes with basic simultaneous equations then you should be focusing on fixing that instead of learning A Level methods. Using an off spec method because you make mistakes with relatively basic on spec methods is not a good reason.

ok one last question if a normal examiner did not give me the marks but i put it through a remark with a senior examiner or chief examiner marking it would they give the marks
Reply 98
ok one last question if a normal examiner did not give me the marks but i put it through a remark with a senior examiner or chief examiner marking it would they give the marks

Almost definitely yes, as long as your method was fully correct, all your working was shown and your final answer was correct.
Almost definitely yes, as long as your method was fully correct, all your working was shown and your final answer was correct.

Mind you, the op is only likely to bother with a re-mark if he is close to (and presumably on the wrong side of) a grade boundary anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest