The Student Room Group

Maths A Level bad choice?

I’ve chosen maths for one of my a level subjects and I don’t know if I’ll regret it. I know it’s a very challenging subject. Can anyone tell me about their experiences doing it and if you would recommend it?

Scroll to see replies

I'm in year 13 and predicted A* and imo maths definitely has the reputation as being a challenging subject but it's one of those subjects where the grade you get is very proportional to the time you put in. If you've only done regular maths at GCSE level then nearly everything will be new to you and it will seem super confusing at the start but don't let this discourage you, the more you practice with textbook questions and past papers the easier it becomes

I highly recommend doing it because of how many degrees need maths but it comes down to what you want to study at university and which university you are aiming for
I'm currently a year one college student studying a-level maths and I'm really enjoying it! I got an 8 at GCSE so I haven't found it too hard to pick up surprisingly.
year 13 student doing a level maths; maths doesn't come as quick to me as others so i have to spend more time practising but i've been doing alright. providing you put the work in consistently and you're smart with your revision you should be fine. yeah, it's definitely a difficult subject but i think you get what you put in :yes: the jump between gcse and a level isn't that bad tbh, but don't get too complacent
Reply 4
Original post by UnsocialSciences
I'm in year 13 and predicted A* and imo maths definitely has the reputation as being a challenging subject but it's one of those subjects where the grade you get is very proportional to the time you put in. If you've only done regular maths at GCSE level then nearly everything will be new to you and it will seem super confusing at the start but don't let this discourage you, the more you practice with textbook questions and past papers the easier it becomes

I highly recommend doing it because of how many degrees need maths but it comes down to what you want to study at university and which university you are aiming for

That’s very true lots of universities do look at it. Is it completely different to gcse maths or is it more like additional content?
Reply 5
Original post by stillcrying
I'm currently a year one college student studying a-level maths and I'm really enjoying it! I got an 8 at GCSE so I haven't found it too hard to pick up surprisingly.

I’m targeted an 8 so I’m glad it’s not too difficult to understand :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by entertainmyfaith
year 13 student doing a level maths; maths doesn't come as quick to me as others so i have to spend more time practising but i've been doing alright. providing you put the work in consistently and you're smart with your revision you should be fine. yeah, it's definitely a difficult subject but i think you get what you put in :yes: the jump between gcse and a level isn't that bad tbh, but don't get too complacent

Ive been constantly hearing about the jump from gcse to a levels is huge so it not being bad is always a plus
Original post by Dera101
Ive been constantly hearing about the jump from gcse to a levels is huge so it not being bad is always a plus

yeah, imo it's exaggerated especially as when you start off you'll be recapping some gcse content :yep: imo i found the jump between as and a2 bigger.
Original post by Dera101
That’s very true lots of universities do look at it. Is it completely different to gcse maths or is it more like additional content?

Hmmm I did iGCSE maths and add maths but my friends who took GCSEs found most of first year new and harder like with differentiation, integration, logs and some of the harder trig but it was still manageable, but the jump to A2 is completely different to GCSE and is considerably harder than AS.
Original post by Dera101
I’ve chosen maths for one of my a level subjects and I don’t know if I’ll regret it. I know it’s a very challenging subject. Can anyone tell me about their experiences doing it and if you would recommend it?

One of the most useful life skills is problem solving. Maths is a brilliant subject for helping develop such skills, as well as having many other things to recommend it. It's also one of the most respected subjects. If you say you are taking politics then people will consider you a dunce and a loser, but get a good grade in maths and it's respect.

How well you do will in large part on whether you put in enough hard graft. Sadly, it can also depend on the quality of the teacher (but you could always get a tutor). My nephew had a Cheap (teach) First English graduate teaching him maths, and was also lazy, so he ended up with C grades.

So the bottom line is, if you have a good teacher and are prepared to work hard then go for it!
Original post by Dera101
I’m targeted an 8 so I’m glad it’s not too difficult to understand :smile:

Yeah, the jump really isn’t a lot like people say, if you are predicted a high grade. Physics has been the bigger jump for me so I’m sure you’ll be fine! Good luck for your exams! :smile:
Original post by Dera101

I think it depends on what you’re thinking of doing at uni. If maths is a requirement or a useful skill for you, say you’re thinking of going into a STEM career then you won’t regret it. Make sure to look at career guides and maybe speak to your maths teachers and ask whether they think you will do well if you’re aiming for high grades.
Reply 12
Original post by entertainmyfaith
yeah, imo it's exaggerated especially as when you start off you'll be recapping some gcse content :yep: imo i found the jump between as and a2 bigger.

What is as and a2?
Reply 13
Original post by UnsocialSciences
Hmmm I did iGCSE maths and add maths but my friends who took GCSEs found most of first year new and harder like with differentiation, integration, logs and some of the harder trig but it was still manageable, but the jump to A2 is completely different to GCSE and is considerably harder than AS.

Good to know x
Reply 14
Original post by David Getling
One of the most useful life skills is problem solving. Maths is a brilliant subject for helping develop such skills, as well as having many other things to recommend it. It's also one of the most respected subjects. If you say you are taking politics then people will consider you a dunce and a loser, but get a good grade in maths and it's respect.

How well you do will in large part on whether you put in enough hard graft. Sadly, it can also depend on the quality of the teacher (but you could always get a tutor). My nephew had a Cheap (teach) First English graduate teaching him maths, and was also lazy, so he ended up with C grades.

So the bottom line is, if you have a good teacher and are prepared to work hard then go for it!

😂😂 thank you for that I guess I just got to put the work in
Reply 15
Original post by stillcrying
Yeah, the jump really isn’t a lot like people say, if you are predicted a high grade. Physics has been the bigger jump for me so I’m sure you’ll be fine! Good luck for your exams! :smile:

Does doing maths help you in physics?
Reply 16
Original post by goldenpoop
I think it depends on what you’re thinking of doing at uni. If maths is a requirement or a useful skill for you, say you’re thinking of going into a STEM career then you won’t regret it. Make sure to look at career guides and maybe speak to your maths teachers and ask whether they think you will do well if you’re aiming for high grades.

Okay I’ll definitely ask
honestly if your naturally good at maths , then you will excell. im naturally good at maths im getting a*
Yes it is hard. It's maths.

But at least it has a right/wrong answer.

That makes it easier.

Try a subject with no right/wrong answer. Then you will meet difficulty. Sort of.
Reply 19
Original post by Faustus500
Yes it is hard. It's maths.

But at least it has a right/wrong answer.

That makes it easier.

Try a subject with no right/wrong answer. Then you will meet difficulty. Sort of.

That’s one of things that I like about maths that it has set answer

Quick Reply

Latest