The Student Room Group

Girlfriend likes everything else?

My girlfriend shows support for everyone else and everything SHE cares about. Except things that are related to me. She likes and supports everything her friends do. The political or artistic causes they are a part of or simply the causes she believes in.
However, theres nothing related to me which is supportive of. Like the organizations I worked at, my identity and community projects. Those are absent in her social media likes as well as say to day life.

Everytime a friend does something, she jumps on straight to the facebook and likes their page. Or a cause her friends are doing and shes automatically on facebook liking their pages. Yesterday her guy friend who plays the guitar with her at her university launched his facebook page and she jumped straight into it and liked it. Her friend made a liberate Kurdish page and once again, straight on facebook and liked it.

I worked at an NGO, which is pretty famous and she didnt like it. I belong to a minority community which receives a lot of abuse and hate due to certain policies it makes. But she never stood up for those nor she likes anything which supports my community or provides protection. Instead, shes against my origins, has publicly joined demonstrations where the flag of my country was stamped and there was heavy outrage against it and has no interest in my community.

We ve been together for 11 months now. And I dont feel theres a lot of actual connection in this. Shes sexy I guess because shes always displaying her body, showing cleavage and is seductive so we have a good sex life though. What would you say? Shes 22. I'm 24.
Reply 1
Sound like she does it to get on your nerves, almost like mind games really and it seems to be working, just dont play up to the mind games. Also it may be a good idea to keep politics and beliefs aside for the relationship to continue.
Reply 2
Original post by Gillzy
Sound like she does it to get on your nerves, almost like mind games really and it seems to be working, just dont play up to the mind games. Also it may be a good idea to keep politics and beliefs aside for the relationship to continue.

But why would she? I doubt she does it because I'm not on facebook. My friend showed my her likes and I saw nothing related to me.
have you thought about actually asking her?
Reply 4
Original post by hamzakhusro
have you thought about actually asking her?

I dont want to force support or likes. It should come from the heart. Not by force dont you think?
Reply 5
I know that you feel bad because your girlfriend doesn’t support you and she doesn’t like the same things as you. But you shouldn’t break up with her for this. Or start an argument about it.

Honestly whether you should break up with her or no or whether you should start an argument about it or no depends on how much you love your girlfriend (i know that you haven't mentioned anything about a break up but you seem unhappy that it’s why I mentioned it. I know many people who don’t have the same poltiical views (for example) and there are still together. I think that the best thing for you is to stop thinking about what she likes or not and stop talking to her about the things that you like (but she dislikes) because you will never like her answer and you will feel that she doesn’t like you. She likes you but she just doesn’t like the things that you like. No one deserves to be judged based on what he likes.

I used to like one boy that liked rock/metal music (metallica etc). I hated it and I still hate it but I continued to like him. He was doing maths, chemistry etc. Subjects that I hated and I still hate but I continued to like him. He used to love playing music with his guitar. I did not own a guitar, I did not know how to play with a guitar and definitely I did not like the music. But I continued to like him. He was good looking, he was my type. Same situation with your girlfriend. She doesn’t like the things that you like but she likes YOU. That is what it should matter to you, if she likes you and not any other guy not if she supports or not your views.
Reply 7
Original post by emily_000
I know that you feel bad because your girlfriend doesn’t support you and she doesn’t like the same things as you. But you shouldn’t break up with her for this. Or start an argument about it.

Honestly whether you should break up with her or no or whether you should start an argument about it or no depends on how much you love your girlfriend (i know that you haven't mentioned anything about a break up but you seem unhappy that it’s why I mentioned it. I know many people who don’t have the same poltiical views (for example) and there are still together. I think that the best thing for you is to stop thinking about what she likes or not and stop talking to her about the things that you like (but she dislikes) because you will never like her answer and you will feel that she doesn’t like you. She likes you but she just doesn’t like the things that you like. No one deserves to be judged based on what he likes.

I used to like one boy that liked rock/metal music (metallica etc). I hated it and I still hate it but I continued to like him. He was doing maths, chemistry etc. Subjects that I hated and I still hate but I continued to like him. He used to love playing music with his guitar. I did not own a guitar, I did not know how to play with a guitar and definitely I did not like the music. But I continued to like him. He was good looking, he was my type. Same situation with your girlfriend. She doesn’t like the things that you like but she likes YOU. That is what it should matter to you, if she likes you and not any other guy not if she supports or not your views.

It's not about liking or sharing views. It's about my ethnicity, the abuse I ve faced and the places I worked at.
what do you mean exactly? That she doesn't like your ethnicity?

I might say that I hat* americans but that doesn't mean that I hat* YOU. I just I don't like their culture. Nothing wrong with it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9

I mentioned it. Like for example I worked at an rescue and save organization at sea which is pretty big. We were literally risking our lives at sea to save people. Though I only worked there for a few months, my mom was the only one who always showed supported either by phone calls or through liking my pics on the page/the page itself.
My gf knew I wanted to work there for a long time and eventually I was able to. They are quite famous and have IG and facebook pages. But as usual, she never liked it. When our friends start bands or exhibitions, she will be the first to go and like their pages. But in this case, she didnt.

Again, my ethnicity is on half white, half middle eastern, hailing from a country which is trashed everyday. I ve faced abusive slurs and people from my community face this a lot.
My gf has never shown any interest or desire in campaigning against hate for my community. Again, her facebook likes include all types of anti racism things but nothing in my communitys defences.

I might say that I hat* americans but that doesn't mean that I hat* YOU. I just I don't like their culture. Nothing wrong with it.

Her friend started a band and made a facebook page. She liked instantly. Another friend made a page for an exhibition shes doing and again liked it. Couple of other friends work in some places, those pages are also liked.
If she visits a museum or concert , she likes their page as well.

So it's very telling I suppose?
Maybe she doesn't like the same activities as you? But she likes the same activities/have the same hobbies as her friends? have a lot in common with her friends? but nothing in common with you?
Maybe she doesn't like the same activities as you? But she likes the same activities/have the same hobbies as her friends? have a lot in common with her friends? but nothing in common with you?

We are together because all are friends are the same. That's the main reason. Our common interests are political activity and same set of friends. The people whose pages she has liked are not even her close friends and she doesnt even hang out with them
as you said your common interests are political activity and same set of friends. Not same hobbies, not same activities, not same taste in music. So, that it's why she doesn't like your posts.
as you said your common interests are political activity and same set of friends. Not same hobbies, not same activities, not same taste in music. So, that it's why she doesn't like your posts.

My job and ethnicity are not activities.
yes but maybe she dislikes your job. Nothing wrong with it. Personally I think that the only job in the entire world that is good is the one that I will do in the future. I think that the rest of them are useless.
yes but maybe she dislikes your job. Nothing wrong with it. Personally I think that the only job in the entire world that is good is the one that I will do in the future. I think that the rest of them are useless.

She doesnt. She and all my friends are supporters of this rescue. I dont understand why are you trying to defend her constantly
Any more ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending