The Student Room Group

Questioning my choice in sixth form, help?

SUMMARY - do I drop out of sixth form after first year and go to college to do an extended diploma in business rather than three individual a levels (two that I'm not interested in)?

Hi,
I am 16 and in my first year of sixth form (year 12). I've been there since the beginning of September and went to the secondary school there as well. I am studying A-level business, A-level english language and Wjec level 3 extended diploma in criminology (equivalent to an a-level).

I stayed on at my school into sixth form because pretty much all of my friends were, as well as my partner, and the sixth form have good pass rates from previous years (also it is a 5min walk from my house).
I'm now questioning whether I should have stayed there. I only really care about my business a-level and only chose English language and criminology because I need to do three a-levels to get into uni (bare in mind I'm not bad at those subjects, they just don't interest me as a career path). I want to study business at uni (looking into Exeter and Loughborough uni). I've begun to realise that the sixth form have good pass rates because they make us do compulsory study sessions for an hour for each of our courses each day, which I hate, because I would rather do my own independent study timetable at home.
I recently found out that a college in my town offer a BTEC level 3 extended diploma in Business which is worth three a-levels and it has got me thinking whether I should drop out of sixth form at the end of this academic year, possibly still getting an AS level in each of my subjects and moving to college to do the diploma. The only things that are holding me back is all of my friends, and girlfriend are at sixth form, and I am really excited to go to university, but if I change to college then I have to wait another year, when if I stay I could be off to uni next year! And also I'm worried that the uni I'll want to go to won't like the fact that I have a BTEC diploma rather than individual a-levels, or that I will be overqualified for uni, having 3 as levels and a BTEC diploma?

Could you give me your opinions?
Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
If you arent interested in your a levels than you might not be able to go to uni if you dont achieve it so you might be able to go off to uni next year if you stayed. If you go and do that level 3 diploma then you will have a more likely chance to get in and you'll have a better time revising and studying in college. You could always plan something with your friends and girlfriend and talk to them on social media so you guys can stay in contact. Unis are neutral about any qualifications as long as its linked to the course (e.g. you cant do law with a btec in health and social) and if you are worried, maybe call up the unis you are interested in if this was the case. However, if it is accepted then it wouldnt hinder your application if you took 3 a levels since they are worth the same - its just the case that if they accept that qualification. You can never be overqualified for uni so dw
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
If you arent interested in your a levels than you might not be able to go to uni if you dont achieve it so you might be able to go off to uni next year if you stayed. If you go and do that level 3 diploma then you will have a more likely chance to get in and you'll have a better time revising and studying in college. You could always plan something with your friends and girlfriend and talk to them on social media so you guys can stay in contact. Unis are neutral about any qualifications as long as its linked to the course (e.g. you cant do law with a btec in health and social) and if you are worried, maybe call up the unis you are interested in if this was the case. However, if it is accepted then it wouldnt hinder your application if you took 3 a levels since they are worth the same - its just the case that if they accept that qualification. You can never be overqualified for uni so dw

ok thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ayrtongreen
SUMMARY - do I drop out of sixth form after first year and go to college to do an extended diploma in business rather than three individual a levels (two that I'm not interested in)?

Hi,
I am 16 and in my first year of sixth form (year 12). I've been there since the beginning of September and went to the secondary school there as well. I am studying A-level business, A-level english language and Wjec level 3 extended diploma in criminology (equivalent to an a-level).

I stayed on at my school into sixth form because pretty much all of my friends were, as well as my partner, and the sixth form have good pass rates from previous years (also it is a 5min walk from my house).
I'm now questioning whether I should have stayed there. I only really care about my business a-level and only chose English language and criminology because I need to do three a-levels to get into uni (bare in mind I'm not bad at those subjects, they just don't interest me as a career path). I want to study business at uni (looking into Exeter and Loughborough uni). I've begun to realise that the sixth form have good pass rates because they make us do compulsory study sessions for an hour for each of our courses each day, which I hate, because I would rather do my own independent study timetable at home.
I recently found out that a college in my town offer a BTEC level 3 extended diploma in Business which is worth three a-levels and it has got me thinking whether I should drop out of sixth form at the end of this academic year, possibly still getting an AS level in each of my subjects and moving to college to do the diploma. The only things that are holding me back is all of my friends, and girlfriend are at sixth form, and I am really excited to go to university, but if I change to college then I have to wait another year, when if I stay I could be off to uni next year! And also I'm worried that the uni I'll want to go to won't like the fact that I have a BTEC diploma rather than individual a-levels, or that I will be overqualified for uni, having 3 as levels and a BTEC diploma?

3 As levels and a BTEC is not overqualified. Doesn't seem worth spending an extra year in school for. At least wait a few months and see how you feel about it.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
3 As levels and a BTEC is not overqualified. Doesn't seem worth spending an extra year in school for. At least wait a few months and see how you feel about it.

that is one of the cons of moving to college but I don't know whether the fact I have very little interest in the other two subjects justify spending an extra year in college when I could be starting uni next year, but will I even get into uni if I don't get the grades because I'm.not motivated by the subjects??
Reply 5
that is one of the cons of moving to college but I don't know whether the fact I have very little interest in the other two subjects justify spending an extra year in college when I could be starting uni next year, but will I even get into uni if I don't get the grades because I'm.not motivated by the subjects??

You dont need to be motivated by the subjects. You need to be motivated by being successful at them.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
You dont need to be motivated by the subjects. You need to be motivated by being successful at them.

I get what your saying, I'm just debating whether focussing solely on business with the diploma is worth another year..
What grades are you expecting to get in your AS levels? If they’re really good, I would stay where you are. Good grades at A level will probably give you more university options than a BTEC, especially when you don’t know what grade you would get in it.
However, if you do badly in your AS levels, the BTEC might be a better option. Like you have mentioned, you will be more interested in it, so probably get better grades.
Reply 8
Original post by Dancer2001
What grades are you expecting to get in your AS levels? If they’re really good, I would stay where you are. Good grades at A level will probably give you more university options than a BTEC, especially when you don’t know what grade you would get in it.
However, if you do badly in your AS levels, the BTEC might be a better option. Like you have mentioned, you will be more interested in it, so probably get better grades.

right now I'm predicted a B in each subject but if worked really hard I guess I could get these up a grade before June. these are full 2 year a levels courses that I'm on, not AS levels, but I can just get a certificate for criminology at the end of this academic year instead of doing the full diploma. I'm not 100% certain whether I can just ask for my sixth form to give me the two as levels for English lang and business.but I think I could

this sounds a bit confusing doesn't it? sorry, hope you get what I'm saying

Hi,

Hi @ayrtongreen,

We are happy to hear that you are interested in our business degrees. Is there one in particular that you are interested in or stands out to you?

All of our business degrees have a grade requirement of AAB at A-Level, which may be reduced if you study more than one of our preferred subject list. With your current a-levels of Business and English Language, these are both on our preferred subject list. However, our BTEC requirements for these degrees may help you in making an informed decision. Look at the information from our online prospectus in the typical offers section, I have linked International Business as an example.

Before you make any decision speak to your teachers to get their advice, or other support staff at your sixth form as well as looking at entry requirements for universities so that you keep your options open and remain well informed.

Best Wishes,
Emily :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi @ayrtongreen,

We are happy to hear that you are interested in our business degrees. Is there one in particular that you are interested in or stands out to you?

All of our business degrees have a grade requirement of AAB at A-Level, which may be reduced if you study more than one of our preferred subject list. With your current a-levels of Business and English Language, these are both on our preferred subject list. However, our BTEC requirements for these degrees may help you in making an informed decision. Look at the information from our online prospectus in the typical offers section, I have linked International Business as an example.

Before you make any decision speak to your teachers to get their advice, or other support staff at your sixth form as well as looking at entry requirements for universities so that you keep your options open and remain well informed.

Best Wishes,

Thank you for the info, I will have a look at that link. I didn't know both business and English language were two of the preferred courses so that is good to know. I will definitely talk to my teachers about it. thanks.
Thank you for the info, I will have a look at that link. I didn't know both business and English language were two of the preferred courses so that is good to know. I will definitely talk to my teachers about it. thanks.

No problem! Happy to help :u:

Feel free to PM us any more specific questions.
Best Wishes,

Quick Reply

Latest