The Student Room Group

Which countries/unions do you think will collapse within the next century?

What countries or collections of countries within unions eg. UK, do you think will break apart or otherwise collapse by 2120...?

I’d like to think the Democratic People’s of Korea (North Korea) will collapse internally, with the Kim dynasty being broken by revolution as more outsider information reaches the general population.

I also think Scotland will leave the U.K., leading to Wales and Northern Ireland leaving also. With a reduced reign of “power” by the British monarchy, I think people will eventually decide to abolish it. Although becoming a republic may take longer than 100 years.

What do you guys think?
(edited 4 years ago)
Like your predictions
Reply 2
Original post by wannabeDr2020
Like your predictions

Do you have any of your own?
Sadly N Korea won't collapse as predicted. The population, although represed don't know any different so don't see it as repressive. The idea of embracing freedom and democracy is likely more scary than the status quo.

My predictions for collapse as in Venezuela or Syria would be other countries in the middle East. Iran is on the brink if it goes to war with the West. Mexico continues to totter amidst drug violence and migration.

Then there are regions where water is very limited and getting worse.

Finally, we are more vulnerable than we think we are but total collapse seems unlikely.
Original post by CTLeafez
What countries or collections of countries within unions eg. UK, do you think will break apart or otherwise collapse by 2120...?

I’d like to think the Democratic People’s of Korea (North Korea) will collapse internally, with the Kim dynasty being broken by revolution as more outsider information reaches the general population.

I also think Scotland will leave the U.K., leading to Wales and Northern Ireland leaving also. With a reduced reign of “power” by the British monarchy, I think people will eventually decide to abolish it. Although becoming a republic may take longer than 100 years.

What do you guys think?

Scotland cant leave the UK I think its spain who said they will veto them joining the EU, and they cant survive by themselves at all. Their entire economy and all their social welfare programs the scotts enjoy are propped up by the English tax payer, so unless you have some information that proves the scotts are willing to give up all this and live as far far far poorer people I doubt scotland will ever leave. On top of that Wales will definitely never leave they will literally have nothing without England.

On your point about the monarchy I doubt we will abolish it any time soon, its 2020 and approval is still at 70%, and all it takes really is another princess dianna or say someone like prince harry gets on the throne a real man of the people type guy, then boom approval right back up. The populace just likes the idea of having royals.

China will definitely take a hit tho the cornoa virus is going to throw thier economy into a recession and there growth was already massively slowing down, on top of that none of the big global players like them since they steal everyones IP. I think this virus has made way for india to take Chinas spot at the global table when it becomes a 1st world nation.
Original post by CTLeafez

What do you guys think?

The EU is also gone, we have made it out and are probably going to do ok which will embolden the other countries that also dont like it to leave since they will have us being ok as athe carrot and having to economically support a UK sized budget gap as a stick, I cant see it lasting more than 15 -20 years tbh.
I like the analysis of Ragman75
Full of valid arguments!!

The first Union to break up is the UK due to Brexit.

I like the comment made by Ragman75 that Scots enjoy their welfare due to the English taxes. So we may as well cut them off ..completely...

Besides, Scots are well known for their drinking habits and for sitting down all day doing nothing other than watching TV and drink themselves to death. The entire nation produces nothing and relies upon English taxes to fund their drinking habits ...
Reply 7
Original post by Ragman75
On your point about the monarchy I doubt we will abolish it any time soon, its 2020 and approval is still at 70%, and all it takes really is another princess dianna or say someone like prince harry gets on the throne a real man of the people type guy, then boom approval right back up. The populace just likes the idea of having royals.

That’s why I’m saying in the next 100 years, so not relatively soon.

look back on the approval rating of the royal family, you’d find there was a slump in approve in the 70s I believe.

With recent events eg. Prince Harry quitting and Prince Andrew - need I say more... In combination with our changing society with a drive towards social equality and mobility, the approval of the royals will fall and a new royal baby/wedding won’t save it in the long term.

By 2100, the royal family will be on their very last legs.
Reply 8
Probably more Middle Eastern nations. Notably Egypt, Iraq, Syria and Turkey are not likely to be sustainable if given full freedom. Probably India too.

The EU is a funny one. The folk expecting complete collapse are idiots who really don't understand the hatred and fear of Russia in eastern Europe so I imagine it will lose some current states but probably become a federal state collecting the Balkan ones too.

The real question is not which unions will break up but rather which ones will form.
1 thing I've learnt in my short life: absolutely anything could happen in the future :bandit: We need to learn psychohistory
Original post by Lucifer323
I like the analysis of Ragman75
Full of valid arguments!!

The first Union to break up is the UK due to Brexit.

I like the comment made by Ragman75 that Scots enjoy their welfare due to the English taxes. So we may as well cut them off ..completely...

Besides, Scots are well known for their drinking habits and for sitting down all day doing nothing other than watching TV and drink themselves to death. The entire nation produces nothing and relies upon English taxes to fund their drinking habits ...

Er....don't forget the shortbread. Millions of grannies are off their heads on it in England. They couldn't do without it. It would mean cold turkey.
Reply 11
Original post by Just my opinion
Er....don't forget the shortbread. Millions of grannies are off their heads on it in England. They couldn't do without it. It would mean cold turkey.

We’ll have an OAP uprising. Nevermind our current bed shortage in the NHS... They’ll take all the beds and cause mile long queues at grocery stores due to long conversations with cashiers 😣

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending