The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Accommodation at Loughborough

Hi everyone,
My name is Emily and I am one of the official reps for Loughborough University on TSR.

I have seen a lot of threads popping up regarding accommodation at Loughborough over the past month so decided to create a thread where you can chat amongst yourselves or ask me any questions you have. I will be doing brief introductions to each hall and giving my own personal opinion on the hall as time goes on but just starting this now to answer any and all questions.

Also feel free to PM us about anything too and we will get back to you ASAP! I check TSR 3 times a day Mon - Fri so will answer your questions as best I can when I can :smile:

There are a lot of answers on the University Accommodation webpages too, but feel free to ask here if you can't find what you need. Don’t forget this is just a guide. The most up to date information is on our website, but this will give you a good idea of what to expect.

Best Wishes,
Emily :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

To get the ball rolling I will link a couple of our FAQ pages below and also add in my answers to questions I have received already!

Applying for halls FAQs: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/accommodation/faq/applying/

Catering: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/accommodation/faq/catering/

Specific requirements: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/accommodation/faq/specific-requirements/

'What is the best accommodation at Loughborough? And what are there reputations'
Take a look at various review sites that are around - Student Crowd and Student Hut.
:biggrin:
'What is the likelihood of getting your first accommodation choice at Loughborough?'
If you have firmed Loughborough you will receive a slot to reserve your accommodation on results day. Almost all firm students are able to get their first choice accommodation.
:biggrin:
'In Loughborough's catered residence halls, is it possible for the lecture timings for engineering to clash with meal timings at the hall? If yes, then what would you do?'
Note: I have linked to the thread here as the answer was quite lengthy to copy across.
(edited 4 years ago)
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
My honest review that i would like to post here regarding accommodation.

I really would like to have met someone who studied in Lboro before I arrive to tell me that.

The uni, lectures, sports, facilities are amazing - state of art. But the halls OMG.

There are really good options for people who really dont care to share a place.

Please make 100% sure before sign that virtual offering contract. The uni will make all possible efforts to make you stick to that during the whole year. Even if you are not happy with your accomodation, the uni will show you many clauses saying that you have signed and if you wanna leave you must pay that. Before that you will see many ads saying that you should sign this asap because you may have no other options inside the uni which is not true. There are many empty rooms arround Lboro, even inside and outside campus.

Halls are really good if you are keen on enjoying the atmosphere. But the noise cancellation through the walls are really bad. You can hear everything even during the night. Flatmates snoring, people going to the toilet 2-3-4 times during the night. You will wake up every night. It is good if you dont care, but it can be really bad for mature students like me. Up to you. Im not happy with my flat and i still have 6 months ahead to fulfill my contract.

I really would like to have met someone to tell me that before.
Original post by Anonymous
My honest review that i would like to post here regarding accommodation.

I really would like to have met someone who studied in Lboro before I arrive to tell me that.

The uni, lectures, sports, facilities are amazing - state of art. But the halls OMG.

There are really good options for people who really dont care to share a place.

Please make 100% sure before sign that virtual offering contract. The uni will make all possible efforts to make you stick to that during the whole year. Even if you are not happy with your accomodation, the uni will show you many clauses saying that you have signed and if you wanna leave you must pay that. Before that you will see many ads saying that you should sign this asap because you may have no other options inside the uni which is not true. There are many empty rooms arround Lboro, even inside and outside campus.

Halls are really good if you are keen on enjoying the atmosphere. But the noise cancellation through the walls are really bad. You can hear everything even during the night. Flatmates snoring, people going to the toilet 2-3-4 times during the night. You will wake up every night. It is good if you dont care, but it can be really bad for mature students like me. Up to you. Im not happy with my flat and i still have 6 months ahead to fulfill my contract.

I really would like to have met someone to tell me that before.

Hi Anonymous,

I'm really sorry to hear that you have had such a negative experience in our halls at Loughborough.

Have you contacted accommodation regarding other options available to you than cancelling a contract? There are options available to all students in halls as issues like this can occur. If you would like more information on this and to discuss your options please drop us a PM.

Best Wishes,
(edited 4 years ago)
My gf lives in the new cayley halls which are very nice but whenever I stay I do notice the noise, you can hear all the doors shutting right down the corridor, I'm surprised they didn't make them soft close or something since the block is new.

I was wondering if the bedrooms with ensuites are smaller than the bedrooms where you have shared bathrooms?
My gf lives in the new cayley halls which are very nice but whenever I stay I do notice the noise, you can hear all the doors shutting right down the corridor, I'm surprised they didn't make them soft close or something since the block is new.

I was wondering if the bedrooms with ensuites are smaller than the bedrooms where you have shared bathrooms?

Hi Anonymous,

Noise is a common issue across all university halls, something noted in this article written by TSR. Would highly recommend giving it a read before moving into halls or any university accommodation for that matter.

The bedrooms with shared bathrooms have more storage space and desk space where the ensuite would be. Size wise I would say that they are similar, not too different, but because there is a bathroom in the room you do lose some of the room space if that makes sense.

Best Wishes,
Reply 6
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone knew about or could tell me what their Telford accommodation is like?

Neve :smile:
Original post by nevemh
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone knew about or could tell me what their Telford accommodation is like?

Neve :smile:

Hi @nevemh,

Firstly, check out what past and present students have said about Telford on Student Crowd. According to their rankings, Telford comes out at 5th overall against all student accommodation in Loughborough.

One of the major selling points about Telford is it's central location. With it being in the student village it is in the middle of campus, central to almost everything on campus. The library is just up the hill, engineering buildings aren't too far away and the student's union is about 10 minutes away depending on how fast you walk.

It is a shared bathroom, self-catered hall, with 4-6 students in a flat across five blocks. Facilities can change year on year, but there is currently two common rooms and a launderette that you can get your washing done in. Plus if you are planning on bringing a bike (which I would recommend if you can) there are bike sheds available to lock your bike up in.

Anymore questions feel free to PM us.
Best Wishes,
Hi all,

So at Loughborough we have 16 halls of residence.
Within this we have 7 catered halls and 9 self-catered halls.
3 of our halls are located slightly off campus.

For information on what is in all rooms, check the spoiler below:

Spoiler

If you want to see what past and present students think of each of our halls check out reviews on Student Crowd. Just search which hall you are interested in and take a look. Just a note, Claudia Parsons is our newest hall so there are not any reviews up yet, but this is being addressed.

Keep asking questions on this thread, regarding what you want to know about the accommodation process and our accommodation. We will continue to post content surrounding information for the halls etc in the next few weeks.

Best Wishes,
(edited 4 years ago)
Will anyone apply to Faraday hall? How is it? I’ve heard that unconditional offer holders have preference over conditional and insurance offer holders. Is that true? I got an unconditional offer btw and I just accepted it!
(edited 4 years ago)
How do the quiet rooms work? Are there many?
Original post by arlna
Will anyone apply to Faraday hall? How is it? I’ve heard that unconditional offer holders have preference over conditional and insurance offer holders. Is that true? I got an unconditional offer btw and I just accepted it!

Hi @arlna,

Faraday is another one of our student village accommodation halls, like Telford, but this time it is one of our catered halls.

It offers a variety of rooms ranging from Standard to Ensuite (4ft bed) rooms. These rooms also come in at different prices so familiarise yourself with the prices as well as the rooms as this is as important if not more important.

To get past and current student opinions check out Faraday's reviews on the student crowd.

Personally I am not aware of unconditional offers receiving a preference over conditional offer holders, so this is something you will have to clarify with the accommodation team. The guarantee that Loughborough makes is:
'Our firm choice guarantee...
If you make Loughborough your firm choice and you register for your accommodation before end of July, we will guarantee you a room in University accommodation for your first year of study.
If you are an international fee paying student and you meet the criteria above, we will guarantee you accommodation in the same hall for two years of study provided you apply for your accommodation before the January deadline of the second year.'

Hope this helps and best wishes,
Hi there!

I'm a returner that used to stay in Butler Court, which was an amazing hall. Sadly, I don't seem to have been offered a spot this year. Is it getting popular? If so, I'm not surprised, great prices and huge rooms with en-suites. I loved staying there.

Anyway, onto my question. Currently I'm too anxious to e-mail SAC in case they escalate my queries or assume anything, so I thought I'd message here. I'm wondering if there's any way to get more pictures/knowledge about rooms in Claudia Parsons! Obviously it's a new hall as you mentioned, I applied for it because I was keen at the time but I figured more people would share pictures or reviews. It's like there's nothing out there besides the fish-eye 3D view. Is there even a size (m2) guide for it? Panicking as I only have 8 days and £6,500 for a shot in the dark is enough to make anyone uncomfortable.
Hey everyone,

We have started receiving a number of queries about accommodation for firm choice offer holders (1st spoiler) and also insurance offer holders (2nd spoiler). To address these all in one place please see the spoilers below:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Stand by for more information in the next few weeks.

Best Wishes,
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by csillabu
Hi there!

I'm a returner that used to stay in Butler Court, which was an amazing hall. Sadly, I don't seem to have been offered a spot this year. Is it getting popular? If so, I'm not surprised, great prices and huge rooms with en-suites. I loved staying there.

Anyway, onto my question. Currently I'm too anxious to e-mail SAC in case they escalate my queries or assume anything, so I thought I'd message here. I'm wondering if there's any way to get more pictures/knowledge about rooms in Claudia Parsons! Obviously it's a new hall as you mentioned, I applied for it because I was keen at the time but I figured more people would share pictures or reviews. It's like there's nothing out there besides the fish-eye 3D view. Is there even a size (m2) guide for it? Panicking as I only have 8 days and £6,500 for a shot in the dark is enough to make anyone uncomfortable.

Hi @csillabu,

Firstly it's really great to here that you had such a positive experience in Butler you want to go back. Current students can still apply to go back into halls online here, but if you have not been offered a spot in Butler then I would assume all the spaces allocated to returning students are full.

Claudia Parsons hall have their own website and socials that may help in providing you with more images of what the hall looks like.

Drop us a PM if you are still panicking and we will do our best to help you out.
Best Wishes,
Original post by Itsmepoppy
How do the quiet rooms work? Are there many?

Hi @Itsmepoppy,

A number of flats in some halls have been designated as ‘quiet flats’. An increasing number of students each year request these and anyone living in a quiet flat would be required to cooperate. Noise must be restricted between 23:00 08:00. Please note that there may still be some environmental noise from surrounding flats or external areas.

When applying for accommodation, designated rooms will be identified as ‘quiet’ after their room type description.

Please be assured that the quiet flats will still be part of the hall community, residents will still be very much involved in every aspect of hall life.

I hope this helps and any further questions feel free to PM us.
Best Wishes,
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi everyone,
My name is Emily and I am one of the official reps for Loughborough University on TSR.

I have seen a lot of threads popping up regarding accommodation at Loughborough over the past month so decided to create a thread where you can chat amongst yourselves or ask me any questions you have. I will be doing brief introductions to each hall and giving my own personal opinion on the hall as time goes on but just starting this now to answer any and all questions.

Also feel free to PM us about anything too and we will get back to you ASAP! I check TSR 3 times a day Mon - Fri so will answer your questions as best I can when I can :smile:

There are a lot of answers on the University Accommodation webpages too, but feel free to ask here if you can't find what you need. Don’t forget this is just a guide. The most up to date information is on our website, but this will give you a good idea of what to
Best Wishes,

Hi, I have already got my A level results as I have taken a gap year. I have made Loughborough my firm choice and have been given an unconditional offer which I have accepted. Do I need to wait until results day for my accommodation as well? Or can I apply sooner as I have been accepted? Sorry if this sounds silly I’ve just got the student room and don’t know what I’m doing! Thanks.
Hi, I have already got my A level results as I have taken a gap year. I have made Loughborough my firm choice and have been given an unconditional offer which I have accepted. Do I need to wait until results day for my accommodation as well? Or can I apply sooner as I have been accepted? Sorry if this sounds silly I’ve just got the student room and don’t know what I’m doing! Thanks.

Hi Anonymous,

I have received advice from the accommodation team for information on this as I am not across all the finer details of the accommodation process. Their advice is:
'They are able to register and apply for accommodation in May, as they already have their results they can reserve their accommodation at the same time they register.
Further information on how to apply can be found here.
If students have any further questions regarding accommodation they can email [email protected] or call on 01509 274488'

Any further issues feel free to drop us a PM.
Best Wishes,
Does this mean that the people who opt for quiet rooms don't really go partying and clubbing?

Also are they usually over or under subscribed for? I don't want to put a preference for a quiet room then be less likely to get the accommodation I prefer?

Original post by Loughborough University
Hi @Itsmepoppy,

A number of flats in some halls have been designated as ‘quiet flats’. An increasing number of students each year request these and anyone living in a quiet flat would be required to cooperate. Noise must be restricted between 23:00 08:00. Please note that there may still be some environmental noise from surrounding flats or external areas.

When applying for accommodation, designated rooms will be identified as ‘quiet’ after their room type description.

Please be assured that the quiet flats will still be part of the hall community, residents will still be very much involved in every aspect of hall life.

I hope this helps and any further questions feel free to PM us.
Best Wishes,
Does this mean that the people who opt for quiet rooms don't really go partying and clubbing?

Also are they usually over or under subscribed for? I don't want to put a preference for a quiet room then be less likely to get the accommodation I prefer?

Hi Anonymous,

If you are a prospective student for the new academic year, when you apply for accommodation you will be able to pick the exact hall and room type you want from a live list. You will only be made to put down preferences if you do not register between May and July, or are a insurance / clearing student.

Students in quiet flats may still go on nights out at their own discretion, however they are expected to restrict noise between 23:00 8:00. Any noise occurring between these times can be reported to the duty sub-warden.

I hope this helps, in future feel free to email to [email protected] so that they can answer students directly including any follow up questions.

Best wishes,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending