The Student Room Group

Warwick or Imperial? - engineering 2020

I have received offers from both Warwick and imperial.
A*AA for engineering at Warwick and A*A*AA for mech engineering at imperial. I have to now decide which one of them I want to put as my firm choice. I visited both unis and talked to a few current students who speak very highly of both courses. I have heard that the imperial course is extremely hard and the ability to diversify your course ie take part in other engineering disciplines or projects, is pretty much non existent. However imperial does have a name for itself internationally and not many people receive offers from imperial compared to Warwick. I was wondering what my job prospects would look like after graduating from imperial and how they would differ from graduating from Warwick. Also would a better grade such as a first from Warwick help me more in terms of jobs compared to a 2:1 from imperial. Currently i am very slightly leaning towards Warwick purely because I preferred the campus and the engineering extracurriculars that you could do such as Warwick Hyperloop but I would reconsider my decision if the job prospects are better at imperial. Thanks for reading this ramble and I would appreciate any help on this matter.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by madhavkholker
A*AA for engineering at Warwick and A*A*AA for mech engineering at imperial. I have to now decide which one of them I want to put as my firm choice. I visited both unis and talked to a few current students who speak very highly of both courses. I have heard that the imperial course is extremely hard and the ability to diversify your course ie take part in other engineering disciplines or projects, is pretty much non existent. However imperial does have a name for itself internationally and not many people receive offers from imperial compared to Warwick. I was wondering what my job prospects would look like after graduating from imperial and how they would differ from graduating from Warwick. Also would a better grade such as a first from Warwick help me more in terms of jobs compared to a 2:1 from imperial. Currently i am very slightly leaning towards Warwick purely because I preferred the campus and the engineering extracurriculars that you could do such as Warwick Hyperloop but I would reconsider my decision if the job prospects are better at imperial. Thanks for reading this ramble and I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Imperial is the better "engineering" uni imo, Warwick is very good but has a better overall rep rather than an engineering powerhouse.

Job prospects: honestly I suspect there is very little in it, as most competitive engineering jobs use more modern application processes such as online testing, assessment days etc. so the better applicant from either uni is more likely to flourish. Imperial has a very slight advantage in non-engineering jobs in finance imo (but this is slight).

They are both excellent engineering unis, you can flourish at either!

If you were wanting to go into research (ie PhD) then defo Imperial for almost every area of engineering (only exception being manufacturing where Warwick has better expertise).
Original post by mnot
Imperial is the better "engineering" uni imo, Warwick is very good but has a better overall rep rather than an engineering powerhouse.

Job prospects: honestly I suspect there is very little in it, as most competitive engineering jobs use more modern application processes such as online testing, assessment days etc. so the better applicant from either uni is more likely to flourish. Imperial has a very slight advantage in non-engineering jobs in finance imo (but this is slight).

They are both excellent engineering unis, you can flourish at either!

If you were wanting to go into research (ie PhD) then defo Imperial for almost every area of engineering (only exception being manufacturing where Warwick has better expertise).

Thanks this was really useful :wink:
Hi, this is really of topic but...
I'm in year 11 and I really want to do engineering at uni(Oxbridge, imperial, Warick, Durham, bristol, etc.). I was wondering what things you did to get an offer from imperial, what subjects and extracurriculars you do. Also if you don't mind, how were your GCSE's?
Thanks
Original post by PizzaMan2989
I'm in year 11 and I really want to do engineering at uni(Oxbridge, imperial, Warick, Durham, bristol, etc.). I was wondering what things you did to get an offer from imperial, what subjects and extracurriculars you do. Also if you don't mind, how were your GCSE's?
Thanks

focus on top academics, lots of top marks great A-levels (math, further math, physics, chem). If you can do work experience then great but its not required, read books...
Thanks

Original post by mnot
focus on top academics, lots of top marks great A-levels (math, further math, physics, chem). If you can do work experience then great but its not required, read books...

^^i would recommend everything that mnot said as well as getting good grades in the UCAS prediction exams or AS levels depending on what your school does. My GCSEs were good, not all 9s or something crazy like that, but 9s in core subjects and the subjects i took for a level(maths physics chemistry further maths). Hope this helped.
Thank you so much for the replies. I will look out to try and do those things mentioned but of course, I must do well in my GCSEs first. Would you say English is an important GCSE to get a 9 in for engineering?? - I am struggling with it btw
Thank you so much for the replies. I will look out to try and do those things mentioned but of course, I must do well in my GCSEs first. Would you say English is an important GCSE to get a 9 in for engineering?? - I am struggling with it btw

Maths, physics, Chemistry are the most important GCSEs, after that its more overall GCSE performance tbh, A-levels are substantially more important than GCSEs
Original post by mnot
Maths, physics, Chemistry are the most important GCSEs, after that its more overall GCSE performance tbh, A-levels are substantially more important than GCSEs

Ok thank you very much

Hi, just wanted to ask and see what you ended up taking? I am in the situation for my masters in biomed eng with either warwick or imperial and cant really decide!! Thanks in advance
Reply 10
Original post by rishannp123
Hi, just wanted to ask and see what you ended up taking? I am in the situation for my masters in biomed eng with either warwick or imperial and cant really decide!! Thanks in advance

I would go with Imperial unless you particularly want to go to Warwick.
Ok thank you very much

heyy which uni are you in now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending