The Student Room Group

7s/8s/9s

7s, 8s and 9s students, when did you start revising and how did you overcome the fear of failure?

Scroll to see replies

February half term is when I started and I had achieved 7A*s 4As 1B :biggrin:. The fact that I prepared and poured my sweat into my subjects made me avoid thinking of failure. I had also done lot’s of past papers so I felt prepared for the exam! Though once the exams were over I kept thinking that I might not do well and all sorts of things but you have to realise that once you finish in May/June, that’s it. You’ve done it and there is nothing else you can do about so just don’t think about it until results day! Enjoy :smile:
Original post by TimotheeLaurie
7s, 8s and 9s students, when did you start revising and how did you overcome the fear of failure?

i got 8 9s 2 8s and a 7; i revised for my mocks in November during the half term before them (october) so thats when i covered all my year 10 stuff; I didn't revise until Easter holidays for the real thing since i remembered alot from my mocks.
Original post by Levi.-
i got 8 9s 2 8s and a 7; i revised for my mocks in November during the half term before them (october) so thats when i covered all my year 10 stuff; I didn't revise until Easter holidays for the real thing since i remembered alot from my mocks.

Mock revision really helps in the long term!!
thank you all for your answers.Do y'all know how i can achieve 8s and 9s in my gcses within less than 3 months?
thank you all for your answers.Do y'all know how i can achieve 8s and 9s in my gcses within less than 3 months?AStar

Start revising asap and be sure to apply your theory into context i.e doing past paper questions. If you do WJEC, then use the wjec question bank. The link below had topic by topic questions which you can use.
Do weekly ‘blurts’ which is when you write down online/on paper was you know of a topic. write down everything you know and at the end look at what you are missing.
Verbal revision is also good i.e by verbally reading out your notes without looking at them.
Try doing full paper mock soon and if possible, ask your teacher to mark them. Use the latest 2019 papers as they are the up to date and most difficult paper currently. Avoid using papers from below 2010 as they are much easier than what you get in your exams. (2019 papers will be out very soon i.e 2-3 weeks)
Good luck with your GCSE’s!!

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com this website contains most subjects. click on your subject of interest and look through he GCSE section and find your questions!!
Original post by AkshatPatel
Start revising asap and be sure to apply your theory into context i.e doing past paper questions. If you do WJEC, then use the wjec question bank. The link below had topic by topic questions which you can use.
Do weekly ‘blurts’ which is when you write down online/on paper was you know of a topic. write down everything you know and at the end look at what you are missing.
Verbal revision is also good i.e by verbally reading out your notes without looking at them.
Try doing full paper mock soon and if possible, ask your teacher to mark them. Use the latest 2019 papers as they are the up to date and most difficult paper currently. Avoid using papers from below 2010 as they are much easier than what you get in your exams. (2019 papers will be out very soon i.e 2-3 weeks)
Good luck with your GCSE’s!!

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com this website contains most subjects. click on your subject of interest and look through he GCSE section and find your questions!!

alright! thanks for the tips :smile:
alright! thanks for the tips :smile:

no problem! Have fun with your GCSE’s!!!!! :biggrin:
honestly, the week before exams is when i started and managed to get all 8s and 9s and im not even the smartest person
Original post by Computerslife
honestly, the week before exams is when i started and managed to get all 8s and 9s and im not even the smartest person

WHAT?! how?! what did you do to get such grades?
i got 5 A*s, 3 A's and a B (we dont have the number system in ni) and i started revising the week before most subjects (:
WHAT?! how?! what did you do to get such grades?

literally just read the revision guide, watched a few mr bruff videos for english, few practise questions from pmt
Like idk how but i didnt do anything really
Started in Easter and got a clean streak of 9s. I WOULD NOT suggest this as it did become somewhat stressful a couple of weeks before the tests and I was revising between 6-10 hours everyday.

I highly suggest you start revising lightly now and get together all revision materials and notes on all your courses. Repeatedly go over your notes every couple of weeks, especially for the stuff you suck at the most. After Easter you need to ask yourself "if I had a test tomorrow, what would I struggle with the most" and go over that while doing loads of past questions. Also learn how to answer the questions --> EXAM TECHNIQUE.

If you really want to get 9s across multiple subjects, focus on understanding the content and why you do certain things to solve a problem or why a formula works as these are the types of things you will need to know for the last questions the tests.

As a side note: with our maths GCSE we had 3 papers. The first 2 were not difficult and found it easy to understand the questions and answer them. The 3rd paper was a lot harder and was defiantly the differentiating factor between the 'very best' and 'good'.

Another note: Your English lit teacher should be able to predict the questions that will come up

Final note: Exam boards are businesses so they will be highly unlikely to make you answer multiple weird questions as it risks schools/colleges switching exam boards = lost business = predictable questions that shouldn't be too outlandish.
Original post by Doctor Z
Started in Easter and got a clean streak of 9s. I WOULD NOT suggest this as it did become somewhat stressful a couple of weeks before the tests and I was revising between 6-10 hours everyday.

I highly suggest you start revising lightly now and get together all revision materials and notes on all your courses. Repeatedly go over your notes every couple of weeks, especially for the stuff you suck at the most. After Easter you need to ask yourself "if I had a test tomorrow, what would I struggle with the most" and go over that while doing loads of past questions. Also learn how to answer the questions --> EXAM TECHNIQUE.

If you really want to get 9s across multiple subjects, focus on understanding the content and why you do certain things to solve a problem or why a formula works as these are the types of things you will need to know for the last questions the tests.

As a side note: with our maths GCSE we had 3 papers. The first 2 were not difficult and found it easy to understand the questions and answer them. The 3rd paper was a lot harder and was defiantly the differentiating factor between the 'very best' and 'good'.

Another note: Your English lit teacher should be able to predict the questions that will come up

Final note: Exam boards are businesses so they will be highly unlikely to make you answer multiple weird questions as it risks schools/colleges switching exam boards = lost business = predictable questions that shouldn't be too outlandish.

thank you so much for the tips! so basically, you got straight 9s?
thank you so much for the tips! so basically, you got straight 9s?

well... i got an 8 in english lang XD
Original post by Doctor Z
well... i got an 8 in english lang XD

aww thats alright.
I only started revising properly a few nights before my exams which was *not* a good idea - I barely slept for weeks (but on the bright side I was too exhausted to be anxious). I still managed to get 12 9s but I don't recommend my method... It only worked out for me because I had a fairly good grasp on material as we were going along, which is the most important thing.

My other friends who got straight 9s started revising in the Easter holidays which was a better time to have enough time to get through everything without too much stress.

GCSEs are always going to be stressful, but if you do a lot of practice beforehand (past papers are your friend) then you'll be much more familiar with the structure and have less stress. Also don't cram just before the exam - it only increases your stress and you probably won't learn anything new anyway.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by awanderingpixel
I only started revising properly a few nights before my exams which was *not* a good idea - I barely slept for weeks (but on the bright side I was too exhausted to be anxious). I still managed to get 12 9s but I don't recommend my method... It only worked out for me because I had a fairly good grasp on material as we were going along, which is the most important thing.

My other friends who got straight 9s started revising in the Easter holidays which was a better time to have enough time to get through everything without too much stress.

GCSEs are always going to be stressful, but if you do a lot of practice beforehand (past papers are your friend) then you'll be much more familiar with the structure and have less stress. Also don't cram just before the exam - it only increases your stress and you probably won't learn anything new anyway.

Good luck! :smile:

thank you for your story! Do you think it is possible get such grades in 2-3 months?

Around March (got three 9s, three 8s, two 7s, two 6s). 6s weren’t really down to revision and more just me messing up the exam and so even if you start now you can still get through everything fine
tbh, im really petrified cos the sixth forms accepted my offer but they said that since i got a 5 in maths, im unable to do a level bio and chem. However, they said i can still do it if i get the required grades in my gcses... do yall think theres a chance? IM SO SCARED

Quick Reply

Latest