The Student Room Group

Is anyone able to help with this GCSE maths question?

Hi,

I am doing a paper as revision and I am stuck on this question. I think it might have something to do with algebra but I am really stuck. When I have seen questions like this is the past there have been at least two measurements. I'd appreciate any guidance, it really panics me when I don't know how to do it and can't find anything similar to help me work it out. I worry that a similar question might turn up in the exam and I'll be stuck. Thanks
Reply 1
From the first figure you can get a simple relationship between the length and width of the strips.
then use that to get their size using the figure on the right.
if you call the short side of a rectangle x, then think about how to write the long side.
Reply 3
Y?
So you know in the first diagram, the strips aligned form a square. Each side is 10cm and can be divided by 4 to find the width of one strip.

Hopefully, that made sense. Does that help?
Reply 5
Original post by 5hyl33n
So you know in the first diagram, the strips aligned form a square. Each side is 10cm and can be divided by 4 to find the width of one strip.

Is that right?
Anyway maybe leave it for the OP to determine the right answer.
Reply 6
Original post by fluffle67

Can you pls delete. Hints not solutions.
Original post by mqb2766
Is that right?
Anyway maybe leave it for the OP to determine the right answer.

Original post by mqb2766
Can you pls delete. Hints not solutions.

oh sorry
Reply 8
I hope this helps;
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by s4rah19
Hi,

I am doing a paper as revision and I am stuck on this question. I think it might have something to do with algebra but I am really stuck. When I have seen questions like this is the past there have been at least two measurements. I'd appreciate any guidance, it really panics me when I don't know how to do it and can't find anything similar to help me work it out. I worry that a similar question might turn up in the exam and I'll be stuck. Thanks

I had this on my gcse maths paper haha
Original post by s4rah19
Y?

Think of the original square as 4a by 4a - what i the length of each strip? What is the width?

Then you know length + width = 10 cm
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by -AN-

He'lp not solutions is better as per the forum rules. Pls delete.
Original post by 5hyl33n

Where does it say the square on the left is 10cm?
Original post by -AN-
I hope this helps;

It's against the rules to post a solution - please remove the attachment
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
It's against the rules to post a solution - please remove the attachment

Sorry, my bad.
Reply 15
So, x = 2?
Original post by DrK.
Think

EDIT your post - you are breaking forum rules in posting a solution.
Reply 17
I didn't know it was a solution, sorry. Is it allowed for someone to tell me what topic heading a question like this would come under so I could find a how to video for the topic? Thanks
Original post by s4rah19
I didn't know it was a solution, sorry. Is it allowed for someone to tell me what topic heading a question like this would come under so I could find a how to video for the topic? Thanks

Ratios, algebra, geometry, problem solving

It has elements of each of these. Tbh, you just need to think about what each figure is telling you and how you combine.
The left figure says 1 length = 4 width
The right one says 1 length + 1 width = 10

What you need to practice (not watch) depends on which bit you find difficult.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest