The Student Room Group

History Gcse advice

I have just under 3 months till my GCSE’s and I’ve learnt all the content for history. However looking at exam questions I find it very difficult to identify the answer. I have chosen A level history as an option because I genuinely enjoy it but I’m worried my work won’t pay off in the gcse exam despite doing maximum revision for it. How can I ensure to get top marks in history? Thanks 😊

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi!

Just out of interest,what exam board are you doing and what is the specific content? I'm also doing my exams in 3 months so it'll give me more to work with in terms of helping you 😁
Reply 2
Original post by Mills313
Hi!

Just out of interest,what exam board are you doing and what is the specific content? I'm also doing my exams in 3 months so it'll give me more to work with in terms of helping you 😁

Hi I’m doing Aqa history and the 4 topics are Britain health and people, Norman england, Nazi germany and the Cold War. You?
Reply 3
Original post by Alisha2355
Hi I’m doing Aqa history and the 4 topics are Britain health and people, Norman england, Nazi germany and the Cold War. You?

Hey!

I'm doing Edexcel:Weimar Germany,Cold War,Elizabethan England and Crime and punishment.
Hey!

I'm doing Edexcel:Weimar Germany,Cold War,Elizabethan England and Crime and punishment.

I'm doing the same except instead of crime and punishment, I do Medicine.:smile:
Reply 5
Hey!

We both are doing the same modern history topics but completely different medieval topics :/
Essentially I prefer modern history and I understand the concepts a lot better but overall there is a lottt of content to learn from both medieval and modern history. What grade did you get?
Reply 6
We both are doing the same modern history topics but completely different medieval topics :/
Essentially I prefer modern history and I understand the concepts a lot better but overall there is a lottt of content to learn from both medieval and modern history. What grade did you get?

So,in my recent mock exam,i got a grade 8,but we only did the Weimar germany paper
Reply 7
So,in my recent mock exam,i got a grade 8,but we only did the Weimar germany paper

A grade 8 wow! That’s amazing! I got a 5 reaching a 6 :/ I only revised the day before but this time I’ve been revising constantly and ive come to a realisation I really enjoy history. I need to be on top of history so that I could get that 8 aha. Do you have any advice on how to tackle the questions?
Reply 8

However my school increased the grade boundaries by 5%. Overall, I got a low 5 but in reality from the 2019 grade boundaries I would’ve got a high 5. That’s classed as a 5 in the GCSE’s
A grade 8 wow! That’s amazing! I got a 5 reaching a 6 :/ I only revised the day before but this time I’ve been revising constantly and ive come to a realisation I really enjoy history. I need to be on top of history so that I could get that 8 aha. Do you have any advice on how to tackle the questions?

In my mocks, we did a Germany paper which I got a 6, medicine-6 and Elizabeth paper which I got a 5 but it was an evil paper so I'm not that bothered with.
Original post by RoisinTewkesbury
In my mocks, we did a Germany paper which I got a 6, medicine-6 and Elizabeth paper which I got a 5 but it was an evil paper so I'm not that bothered with.

Wow that’s amazing! what a levels are you guys planning on taking?

For sure girl!

Structure is VERY IMPORTANT. You need to make sure that you understand not only the content,but how to structure it in a way that will award you the maximum amount of marks. I'll PM you a detailed account of how to tackle each question (so how to answer the 8 markers or 4 markers or whatever) when i get some time-kinda busy rn,but you should get it by tomorrow. Let me know which paper you'd like me to explain more and i'll do my very best! 😁
For sure girl!

Structure is VERY IMPORTANT. You need to make sure that you understand not only the content,but how to structure it in a way that will award you the maximum amount of marks. I'll PM you a detailed account of how to tackle each question (so how to answer the 8 markers or 4 markers or whatever) when i get some time-kinda busy rn,but you should get it by tomorrow. Let me know which paper you'd like me to explain more and i'll do my very best! 😁

OMG thank you that would help a lot. Do you have any socials for easier access?

I don't like the history course in my school so I have applied to do that somewhere else but other than that I have applied to do Chemistry, Biology and Film Studies (Only my school does it in my area)

I'm planning on doing English literature,History and Philosophy&Ethics
I'm planning on doing English literature,History and Philosophy&Ethics

Those are good combos
I don't like the history course in my school so I have applied to do that somewhere else but other than that I have applied to do Chemistry, Biology and Film Studies (Only my school does it in my area)

Those sound fun! I’m terrible at biology aha
Those sound fun! I’m terrible at biology aha

imma have to be good at it tho bc I want to be a forensic scientist:redface:
imma have to be good at it tho bc I want to be a forensic scientist:redface:

If you put your mind to it and work hard hopefully you will succeed. I believe in you good luck :smile:
If you put your mind to it and work hard hopefully you will succeed. I believe in you good luck :smile:

Thank you so much! I believe in you too, get those grades!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest