The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Honest opinions on middlesex university?

Unfortunately I am unable to get to any of the open days until June and by then I will have needed to make my decision of first and second choice.

I'm really struggling whether or not to go here or not.
I'm torn between this university and one other(west london).

So for current, former and to-be students of middlesex university, what is your opinion on the university itself, the accommodation, night/social life of the uni and around it and the course you are on.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kasperian
I'm really struggling whether or not to go here or not.
I'm torn between this university and one other(west london).

So for current, former and to-be students of middlesex university, what is your opinion on the university itself, the accommodation, night/social life of the uni and around it and the course you are on.

lots of 'urban' types go there. may be your thing i don't know.
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Reply 2
Original post by A Rolling Stone

What do you mean by 'urban types'?
What do you mean by 'urban types'?

the typical London youth, 90% ethnic minority
Reply 4
the typical London youth, 90% ethnic minority

OK, Fair enough,
Do you know what hendon is like at all? Social/night life, etc?
OK, Fair enough,
Do you know what hendon is like at all? Social/night life, etc?

I live in Hendon. It’s a small town with a nice park, hampstead heath and regent’s park are a bus journey away, a nice highstreet, brent cross closeby. In my opinion it has everything a town needs. It has a lot of churches/ places of worship so if you’re thinking of community events or trips down the pub, then no there’s no nightlife. But i’m sure middx have student events of their own. Also has great transport links to central london, camden etc for nightlife. If you want to go central it’s only 15-20 min tube journey as it’s on the northern line. I love hendon as it’s quiet and suburban but also only a short trip away from the best spots in london.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I live in Hendon. It’s a small town with a nice park, hampstead heath and regent’s park are a bus journey away, a nice highstreet, brent cross closeby. In my opinion it has everything a town needs. It has a lot of churches/ places of worship so if you’re thinking of community events or trips down the pub, then no there’s no nightlife. But i’m sure middx have student events of their own. Also has great transport links to central london, camden etc for nightlife. If you want to go central it’s only 15-20 min tube journey as it’s on the northern line. I love hendon as it’s quiet and suburban but also only a short trip away from the best spots in london.

Thanks for responding! This was really helpful! Do you know much about the University itself? Or heard about it at all?
Thanks for responding! This was really helpful! Do you know much about the University itself? Or heard about it at all?

Well it’s hard not to see/hear about a uni in the town I’ve grown up in for my whole life lmaoo.
I don’t know much about the actual uni, but it looks nice.

Yeah? What do you mean by "urban" types and you go on to say "the typical London youth, 90% ethnic minority"

The way you condescend what you've posted as "maybe your thing" like it's undesirable. Using the term "urban" which could mean 'street' and people usually get branded thuggish from time to time when associated with the term. I think that's a horrible way to explain anyone who goes there.

I think the multiculturalism there is worth being part off, to understand what they're really like, considering that Wembley Stadium is nearby across Hendon into the borough of Brent. Worth taking that out as you progress and graduate from university to think about and it's worth it, because you have a chance to think about this for the rest of your life. You get it easy there and not at a place like a workplace, considering people often get fired from time to time if there's an issue over ethnicity.

For nightlife, it's an easy trip the to Stadium from Hendon if you really want to treat yourself (and really understand how much they really set up events there). Not many people know that. Even better now because all departments are located at Hendon. Over a decade ago, many of the departments were located in Enfield such as Cat Hill and Trent Park and many students never thought about heading to Hendon. I believe they host a lot of clubs at the Hendon campus. I've been to a few. They convert the halls for events from time to time.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by rcmotorboy
Yeah? What do you mean by "urban" types and you go on to say "the typical London youth, 90% ethnic minority"

The way you condescend what you've posted as "maybe your thing" like it's undesirable. Using the term "urban" which could mean 'street' and people usually get branded thuggish from time to time when associated with the term. I think that's a horrible way to explain anyone who goes there.

I think the multiculturalism there is worth being part off, to understand what they're really like, considering that Wembley Stadium is nearby across Hendon into the borough of Brent. Worth taking that out as you progress and graduate from university to think about and it's worth it, because you have a chance to think about this for the rest of your life. You get it easy there and not at a place like a workplace, considering people often get fired from time to time if there's an issue over ethnicity.

For nightlife, it's an easy trip the to Stadium from Hendon if you really want to treat yourself (and really understand how much they really set up events there). Not many people know that. Even better now because all departments are located at Hendon. Over a decade ago, many of the departments were located in Enfield such as Cat Hill and Trent Park and many students never thought about heading to Hendon. I believe they host a lot of clubs at the Hendon campus. I've been to a few. They convert the halls for events from time to time.

you say it's a horrible way to explain who goes there, but all of the alternative ways i thought up to describe the vibe/atmosphere of the place were even more horrible, it still needed to be said, it was in all honesty the nicest way of putting it. i suppose i could've posted a video of guys in hoodies, diamond studs, tiny nike rucksacks and talking in street slang
you say it's a horrible way to explain who goes there, but all of the alternative ways i thought up to describe the vibe/atmosphere of the place were even more horrible, it still needed to be said, it was in all honesty the nicest way of putting it. i suppose i could've posted a video of guys in hoodies, diamond studs, tiny nike rucksacks and talking in street slang

I would agree with you on that one! I see them and they treat lessons and homework like a lounge and they don't want to sweat and work hard. They look on the clock and calendar and wait on their day to feel safe, when they manage (along with some of the teachers) to get others to do the work for them. They shove their work loads into people's faces and make them work for them, slap their names on people's hard work, when they run around and find the nearest party to attend. Almost the very reason why the surrounding location doesn't have nightclubs.

I wouldn't say 90%. More like 40%-50%. The rest are international students. The typical country folks who want to be part of London and they go #to university. When I started my course, there was local students on one side and the international students on the other side. Those student, they do come in and they'll like "Oh no, what I'm getting myself into" and there's loads of time for them to distance themselves away from those folks. I can assure anyone that the university does sort that out to get the work done and students to complete their courses.

With myself, maybe I'm local and "urban" but I studied college outside North London and went back to their to that university and saw that and didn't want to be part of them. Hard for me to get away from them. I would agree.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending