The Student Room Group

interview lesson

I've been offered my first interview, and have been asked to teach a 40-minute maths lesson to a class of year 5. I have looked at the national curriculum and the schools midterm planning from their website and it seems shape would be a good topic to go for. Does anyone have any WOW lesson ideas? many thanks
Original post by bethyh1996
I've been offered my first interview, and have been asked to teach a 40-minute maths lesson to a class of year 5. I have looked at the national curriculum and the schools midterm planning from their website and it seems shape would be a good topic to go for. Does anyone have any WOW lesson ideas? many thanks

Year 4 objectives
compare and classify geometric shapes, including quadrilaterals and triangles, based on their properties and sizes
identify acute and obtuse angles and compare and order angles up to two right angles by size
identify lines of symmetry in 2-D shapes presented in different orientations
complete a simple symmetric figure with respect to a specific line of symmetry
Year 5 objectives
identify 3-D shapes, including cubes and other cuboids, from 2-D representations
know angles are measured in degrees: estimate and compare acute, obtuse and reflex angles
draw given angles, and measure them in degrees (o)
identify:
angles at a point and one whole turn (total 360o)
angles at a point on a straight line and ½ a turn (total 180o)
other multiples of 90o
use the properties of rectangles to deduce related facts and find missing lengths and angles
distinguish between regular and irregular polygons based on reasoning about equal sides and angles.

So which part of shape are they looking at?

I'd look here: https://nrich.maths.org/9021

If you know more about which objectives you'll want to look at then I'll give more ideas.
Keep it simple and practical.

You'd be best off doing some problem-solving activities for a one off 40 minute lesson.

Use this for ideas on content:
https://whiterosemaths.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/SoLs/Primary/Summer_Term_SOL/Year-5-2018-19-Summer-Block-2-Properties-of-Shape.pdf
(scroll to the bottom for 3D shape stuff)
Original post by bethyh1996

Hello!

This interview task is looking to gauge the way that you interact with the young people, create a suitable learning environment and communicate what you would like the children to learn. Do start with a little ice beaker activity so you are able to get to know some of the children. This might be as simple as 'tell me your name and your favourite ice-cream flavor', or ask 'what three things do you know about Maths?'. Then set an interesting and engaging task for a few mins then wrap up the lesson with the question - 'what do you now know, that you didn't know before?' to demonstrate the children's learning,.

Best of luck! Let us know what you end up planning and if we can help further. If you haven't got one, a Teacher Training adviser could help you plan this in more detail. Register for support here or call 0800 389 2500 asap!

Jane
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hello!

'tell me your name and your favourite ice-cream flavor', or ask 'what three things do you know about Maths?'.

I don't think this is a good idea! A starter/intro from a Year 4 objective would be better. Acute/obtuse etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending