The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes, it's a toxic show and three of it's cast members have died!
Original post by chloenix
Yes, it's a toxic show and three of it's cast members have died!

Should any show where the participants have died at some point be shut down?
Original post by Amy hull 123
I think it should, not because it was the cause of Caroline’s death, I don’t think it was, I just can’t see anyone else permanently presenting it but her.

Not it should not.
Original post by DiddyDec
Should any show where the participants have died at some point be shut down?

No. But the Love Island participants have died directly BECAUSE of the show. They developed mental health issues by being put on blast by millions of people, receiving instant fame and receiving no support from ITV.
No. But the Love Island participants have died directly BECAUSE of the show. They developed mental health issues by being put on blast by millions of people, receiving instant fame and receiving no support from ITV.

Did they get forced to be on the show?

2 years after being on the show. You cannot prove that the show was the reason that 2 years later they had poor mental health.

How long is the show responsible for the contestants after they have left? Their entire lives?
2 years after being on the show. You cannot prove that the show was the reason that 2 years later they had poor mental health.

How long is the show responsible for the contestants after they have left? Their entire lives?

It's not a coincidence that being on Love Island caused a large amount of mental trauma for many of contestants, and I seem to remember that Mike actually cited the show as a reason for catalysing his mental health issues. Being in the spotlight, being blasted by British media and UK viewers, being constantly judged for a few months, and then coming straight out of the fame and everyone forgetting about you, but having no job prospects, is very hard to deal with.
Also, there are other reality TV shows where contestants don't just die? That's because they are helped and supported, and not thrown back into everyday life with no way to cope.
Original post by Wired_1800

No one forces someone to take heroin. So should we un-ban heroin and legalise it for everyone to enjoy? People chose to do heroin, after all.
That's what you sound like.
It's not a coincidence that being on Love Island caused a large amount of mental trauma for many of contestants, and I seem to remember that Mike actually cited the show as a reason for catalysing his mental health issues. Being in the spotlight, being blasted by British media and UK viewers, being constantly judged for a few months, and then coming straight out of the fame and everyone forgetting about you, but having no job prospects, is very hard to deal with.
Also, there are other reality TV shows where contestants don't just die? That's because they are helped and supported, and not thrown back into everyday life with no way to cope.

Can you support your claims?
how many times is the same thread gonna be made

Where is the evidence?
It's not the show, its the media surrounding it which appears to be the problem. Nothing that happened on the show is causing it
No one forces someone to take heroin. So should we un-ban heroin and legalise it for everyone to enjoy? People chose to do heroin, after all.
That's what you sound like.

It is a fair point but choice is a strong argument used to support the legalisation of class As for rec purposes.
Can you support your claims?

I tried to find the article I read in 2017 about Mike talking about how being in the spotlight triggered mental health issues, but couldn't find any.
However, I found an article (https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/love-island-reality-tv-mental-health-suicide-mike-thalassitis-sophie-gradon-itv2-a8936256.html) which gave some really good points. I assume you're not going to read it, so I've copied the most persuasive reasons.

* Media psychologist Sally Baker explains that reality TV contestants may be particularly vulnerable to mental health issues because of the nature of their fame. “The public doesn’t judge them on a skill such as their ability to sing or dance,” she says. “How they are judged is closely linked to their behaviour and their appearance, and therefore has an impact on their own feelings of self-worth. What’s more, Baker adds, “they are the currency they trade for their chance of success.”

* Social media has an “undeniable” part to play in the mental wellbeing of reality TV contestants, says TV psychologist Charlotte Armitage. Unlike established actors, models and musicians, reality TV stars don’t necessarily have the same infrastructure when it comes to protecting themselves from threats and trolls.

*Holland, who had her Miss GB title revoked after having sex with Alex Bowen on season two of Love Island, has accused the show’s producers of telling her how to behave and pressuring her into having sex on screen.

Love island does sometimes make the contestants appear different on the show to what they actually are like personality wise . Even Nas(this year contestant) was warned by his friend about it
I tried to find the article I read in 2017 about Mike talking about how being in the spotlight triggered mental health issues, but couldn't find any.
However, I found an article (https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/love-island-reality-tv-mental-health-suicide-mike-thalassitis-sophie-gradon-itv2-a8936256.html) which gave some really good points. I assume you're not going to read it, so I've copied the most persuasive reasons.

* Media psychologist Sally Baker explains that reality TV contestants may be particularly vulnerable to mental health issues because of the nature of their fame. “The public doesn’t judge them on a skill such as their ability to sing or dance,” she says. “How they are judged is closely linked to their behaviour and their appearance, and therefore has an impact on their own feelings of self-worth. What’s more, Baker adds, “they are the currency they trade for their chance of success.”

* Social media has an “undeniable” part to play in the mental wellbeing of reality TV contestants, says TV psychologist Charlotte Armitage. Unlike established actors, models and musicians, reality TV stars don’t necessarily have the same infrastructure when it comes to protecting themselves from threats and trolls.

*Holland, who had her Miss GB title revoked after having sex with Alex Bowen on season two of Love Island, has accused the show’s producers of telling her how to behave and pressuring her into having sex on screen.

Please don't just pick out the points of the article that support your position, I can read it for myself.

The fact remains that people enjoy watching Love Island and thousands of people apply to be on it. ITV has improved their aftercare to provide up to 14 months of counselling. It isn't going anywhere since it is a big earner and very popular.

These are adults to choosing to take part in reality shows, they are responsible for themselves on and off screen.
Original post by ساره
Love island does sometimes make the contestants appear different on the show to what they actually are like personality wise . Even Nas(this year contestant) was warned by his friend about it

This forcing should be enough to close it down. It's just unethical and not what we should be promoting.

The show isn't responsible for their entire lives, but you don't know if their being on the show impacted their mental health in some way and that then either snowballed into or contributed to larger issues.

Plus, once social media latches onto someone, public opinion can be devastating - not to mention trolls and cyberbullies.

1. Exactly. This is just one big glorified popularity contest.

2. How can someone's title be taken away after they won it fair and square, for doing something that she might have been pressured into for views, drama and money? I'm not completely taking her word but even without that, it's still unreasonable.
Original post by ساره

But nas was portrayed in a nice manner. He was loved by the public.
Original post by SnowMiku
The show isn't responsible for their entire lives, but you don't know if their being on the show impacted their mental health in some way and that then either snowballed into or contributed to larger issues.

Plus, once social media latches onto someone, public opinion can be devastating - not to mention trolls and cyberbullies.

If it is that bad they can just not use social media till it forgets about them in a couple of months.
But nas was portrayed in a nice manner. He was loved by the public.

People were mean after the Demi situation. Murad Merali(his friend) talks about it on his YouTube love island reviews.

Latest