The Student Room Group

Psychology - social psychology

Explain why it is sometimes necessary to deceive participants in social influence research (2 marks)

Describe one way in why deception has been dealt with in social influence research (2 marks)

I wasn't in for this lesson so I'm slightly baffled on what to write but there only two marks each so this should be a breeze, someone please help :/
I think that deception is needed so that the true behaviour of people can be studied. As they don’t know the true aim of the study, they won’t display demand characteristics and will act naturally. That way, we can see the effect of social interactions and the social environment on their behaviour.

I’m not sure what social studies you look at but deception can be dealt with in social psychology by doing carrying out retrospective consent after the study. For example, getting participants to sign an informed consent form after taking part in the research - so that they act naturally during research but give consent afterwards. For example, bocchiaro revealed the true aim of his study after the participants took part and afterwards they also completed an informed consent form.
Original post by Academicbee123
I think that deception is needed so that the true behaviour of people can be studied. As they don’t know the true aim of the study, they won’t display demand characteristics and will act naturally. That way, we can see the effect of social interactions and the social environment on their behaviour.

I’m not sure what social studies you look at but deception can be dealt with in social psychology by doing carrying out retrospective consent after the study. For example, getting participants to sign an informed consent form after taking part in the research - so that they act naturally during research but give consent afterwards. For example, bocchiaro revealed the true aim of his study after the participants took part and afterwards they also completed an informed consent form.

Thank you so much, this is all starting to make sense now :smile:!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending