The Student Room Group

Tired..

I’ve got my gcse in less than 3 months and I’m already thinking I’m gonna fail...which I am! I’m tired of living... I don’t want to do anymore. Time to say goodbye to those 8s and 9s I want... ahaha like I can actually achieve such grades when I’m such a stupid person!
Felt that before. It's deffo not fun but remember that these will be used for unis and for a future job u want. And don't underestimate urself cos im sure ur more than capable of achieving such grades. Nothing relies on talent but rather desire and hard-work. Just work hard and make urself proud. Trust me, its worth it. If ur feeling depressed, try to place less strain.
I mean how can I even get a 9 in English Lang when I got a 4 in the mocks?! It’s impossible. I’m such a failure.
Reply 3
Original post by TimotheeLaurie
I’ve got my gcse in less than 3 months and I’m already thinking I’m gonna fail...which I am! I’m tired of living... I don’t want to do anymore. Time to say goodbye to those 8s and 9s I want... ahaha like I can actually achieve such grades when I’m such a stupid person!

i got this to motivate you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-sfG8BV8wU
It is not impossible at all, don't give up on yourself! If you feel your suffering, make your pain worth it :smile: Self-belief is the ultimate weapon in life, you can turn it all around! 3 months is still time ahead of you, at least your exams aren't tomorrow. Make this time count, really get your head down and immerse yourself in your subjects. Anyone and everyone is capable of 8s and 9s, mocks mean nothing they're simply there to give you a taster of the real exam and a boot in the right direction. If you want more specific subject advice, I'd be happy to help :smile:
Original post by aka_amani
It is not impossible at all, don't give up on yourself! If you feel your suffering, make your pain worth it :smile: Self-belief is the ultimate weapon in life, you can turn it all around! 3 months is still time ahead of you, at least your exams aren't tomorrow. Make this time count, really get your head down and immerse yourself in your subjects. Anyone and everyone is capable of 8s and 9s, mocks mean nothing they're simply there to give you a taster of the real exam and a boot in the right direction. If you want more specific subject advice, I'd be happy to help :smile:

thank you for your encouraging words! How can i get 9 in bio,chem and physics plus eng lit and lang? also any tips to get an 8 in history?
thank you for your encouraging words! How can i get 9 in bio,chem and physics plus eng lit and lang? also any tips to get an 8 in history?

No worries! I unfortunately didn't take history but I did get 9s in bio, chem, physics, english lit + lang :smile:

For the sciences:
- The CGP revision guides are a god sent. They contain everything you need to know and make it super easy to understand, study from them and you will most definitely do well!
- Use a whiteboard or blank paper and pretend you're teaching the key concepts to others. This makes memorisation wayy easier and is also a super fun method of revision :smile:
- Make use of youtube, channels like freesciencelessons and crashcourse are really good.
- Print off a copy of the specifications and go through highlighting anything unfamiliar or that you feel weak on, this helps to structure your revision and allows you to see the subject in it's entirety.
- Don't let anyone stress you out about past papers, they're important but not as important as understanding the theory, otherwise all they'll do is ruin your confidence.

For english lit + lang:
- Try to expand your knowledge of literary techniques and expand your vocabulary, then practise lots, practice under timed conditions, get teacher feedback, read the examiner's reports and exemplar responses.
- Also, make sure you know the structure of these papers inside out so you can prepare more specifically for each section.
- Make use of youtube here too, I really liked Stacy Reay at GCSE, I discovered her 2 weeks before exams and I genuinely think she's the reason for my 9!
- Also, I still have a lot of my english GCSE notes so if you're studying Romeo + Juliet, Pride + Prej, An Inspector Calls or the AQA love poetry anthology I'd be happy to send the word documents I made over to you :smile:
- Watch TV and film version of your texts as many times as possible, they're really good to use as breaks from other subjects too! This really helped me with memorising quotes and being super familiar with the story line.

Overall:
- In the actual exam, try to attempt every single question, even if you make an educated guess you might still get the mark!
- Keep an eye on time but also don't be too obsessed with checking it, try and establish a good pace/flow and you'll get through it quicker that you may realise, with plenty of time to check too.
- Your highlighter is your best friend, annotate every question so that they can't catch you out.
- Leading up to the exams or the night before, make a flashcard with a mini-pep talk on to read beforehand, this really helps with having a good minset going into the exam.
- Secret bonus tip: Sometimes you can see the first question through the exam cover page! This really helps to mentally prepare yourself and also give you a lil' confidence boost before you start the exam as it's like you have a mini headstart :smile:
No worries! I unfortunately didn't take history but I did get 9s in bio, chem, physics, english lit + lang :smile:

For the sciences:
- The CGP revision guides are a god sent. They contain everything you need to know and make it super easy to understand, study from them and you will most definitely do well!
- Use a whiteboard or blank paper and pretend you're teaching the key concepts to others. This makes memorisation wayy easier and is also a super fun method of revision :smile:
- Make use of youtube, channels like freesciencelessons and crashcourse are really good.
- Print off a copy of the specifications and go through highlighting anything unfamiliar or that you feel weak on, this helps to structure your revision and allows you to see the subject in it's entirety.
- Don't let anyone stress you out about past papers, they're important but not as important as understanding the theory, otherwise all they'll do is ruin your confidence.

For english lit + lang:
- Try to expand your knowledge of literary techniques and expand your vocabulary, then practise lots, practice under timed conditions, get teacher feedback, read the examiner's reports and exemplar responses.
- Also, make sure you know the structure of these papers inside out so you can prepare more specifically for each section.
- Make use of youtube here too, I really liked Stacy Reay at GCSE, I discovered her 2 weeks before exams and I genuinely think she's the reason for my 9!
- Also, I still have a lot of my english GCSE notes so if you're studying Romeo + Juliet, Pride + Prej, An Inspector Calls or the AQA love poetry anthology I'd be happy to send the word documents I made over to you :smile:
- Watch TV and film version of your texts as many times as possible, they're really good to use as breaks from other subjects too! This really helped me with memorising quotes and being super familiar with the story line.

Overall:
- In the actual exam, try to attempt every single question, even if you make an educated guess you might still get the mark!
- Keep an eye on time but also don't be too obsessed with checking it, try and establish a good pace/flow and you'll get through it quicker that you may realise, with plenty of time to check too.
- Your highlighter is your best friend, annotate every question so that they can't catch you out.
- Leading up to the exams or the night before, make a flashcard with a mini-pep talk on to read beforehand, this really helps with having a good minset going into the exam.
- Secret bonus tip: Sometimes you can see the first question through the exam cover page! This really helps to mentally prepare yourself and also give you a lil' confidence boost before you start the exam as it's like you have a mini headstart :smile:

Thank you so much for the help! Can you perhaps send me all of your notes of an Inspector calls?
Thank you so much for the help! Can you perhaps send me all of your notes of an Inspector calls?

No worries :smile: Of course! I'll PM you them now
No worries :smile: Of course! I'll PM you them now

thank you!
thank you!

For some reason it won't let me attach them on PM so I'll just send them here aha. They're quite brief summary notes but I hope they help in some way. Good luck for your exams :smile:

For the sciences:

For english lit + lang:

Overall:

Thought I was the only one that looked through the paper to read the first question before the exam started! :smile:
This reply is amazing!

Thought I'd just add some stuff I found, too:
For sciences:
- As well as the yt channels listed above (freesciencelessons is the best) primrose kitten is also pretty good.
- As said above, pretending to teach has like the highest retention rate out of pretty much any learning technique, cuz if you want to teach something then you have to understand it thoroughly yourself.
- Topic summaries were also a big help for me, not sure if they'll help you though as everyone learns differently

For English:
- I sent you a guide for English Language that's pretty detailed, so that should help there...
- In English Lit you have to check out LitCharts and Sparknotes - they're absolutely amazing!
- Since you're a little worried about time constraints, if you're going to do any extra reading to help with your writing/literary analysis then I'd try to make it quite focused... Maybe ask your English teacher for some recommendations of books that serve as really good examples of writing. A book I'd really recommend is 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak - it's gotta be one of the best I've ever read and it's also quite simply written so if you can write like he does then you should be good.

Hope this helps...

For the sciences:

For english lit + lang:

Overall:

Hi. I know it's been 8 months lol, but please could you send me your Romeo and Juliet notes. I've got mocks next week but I haven't had the chance to make notes as I have been so busy with revising other subjects. Also, if you have got any resources for biology, chemistry, physics and English language please could you send them too... I have made notes for these subjects.
Thank you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by anrandomguy
Thought I was the only one that looked through the paper to read the first question before the exam started! :smile:
This reply is amazing!

Thought I'd just add some stuff I found, too:
For sciences:
- As well as the yt channels listed above (freesciencelessons is the best) primrose kitten is also pretty good.
- As said above, pretending to teach has like the highest retention rate out of pretty much any learning technique, cuz if you want to teach something then you have to understand it thoroughly yourself.
- Topic summaries were also a big help for me, not sure if they'll help you though as everyone learns differently

For English:
- I sent you a guide for English Language that's pretty detailed, so that should help there...
- In English Lit you have to check out LitCharts and Sparknotes - they're absolutely amazing!
- Since you're a little worried about time constraints, if you're going to do any extra reading to help with your writing/literary analysis then I'd try to make it quite focused... Maybe ask your English teacher for some recommendations of books that serve as really good examples of writing. A book I'd really recommend is 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak - it's gotta be one of the best I've ever read and it's also quite simply written so if you can write like he does then you should be good.

Hope this helps...

Hi. Please could you send me that English Language guide?
Thank you.
Hi I’m doing pride and prejudice and I’m really struggling is there any way you could send me the word documents
Reply 15
Original post by Nancy_xx
Hi I’m doing pride and prejudice and I’m really struggling is there any way you could send me the word documents

use litcharts and sparknotes! also try watching youtube videos on themes + characters - write/plan practice essays and get your teacher to mark them

Quick Reply

Latest