The Student Room Group

Difference between igcse and gcse

Im taking IGCSE but I was studying GCSE what is the difference in the content? I´ve been searching through google but I only could find that IGCSE its for international students. I only need to know what do I have to study or if its fine if I keep studying for Gcse
Reply 1
Original post by anne2030947
Im taking IGCSE but I was studying GCSE what is the difference in the content? I´ve been searching through google but I only could find that IGCSE its for international students. I only need to know what do I have to study or if its fine if I keep studying for Gcse

i have done IGCSE and have seen past papers for both GCSE and IGCSE, i felt gcse exams are easier. Once i accidentally started solving gcse past paper question, after i realized , i switched to igsce and felt a little difference :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by papie
i have done IGCSE and have seen past papers for both GCSE and IGCSE, i felt gcse exams are easier. Once i accidentally started solving gcse past paper question, after i realized , i switched to igsce and felt a little difference :biggrin:

So it is not the same? Can I take AQA as the exam board for my IGCSE?. I´m completely lost because until today I´ve been studying GCSE and I dont know the difference of what do I have to study now (I´m studying at home) I used to guide myself through the specification
Reply 3
The difference in the content varies between subjects.
Where are you taking the exams?
If you're studying GCSE, which exam board are you studying?

If you're intending on taking IGCSE Sciences in England to get round the need to do practicals then you'll be taking Edexcel IGCSE.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
The difference in the content varies between subjects.
Where are you taking the exams?
If you're studying GCSE, which exam board are you studying?

If you're intending on taking IGCSE Sciences in England to get round the need to do practicals then you'll be taking Edexcel IGCSE.

I intended to take the GCSE but the centre where I applied (today) since I didnt do the coursework they told me I would have to do the IGCSE
I´m taking BIology Hgher Tier and Chemistry Higher Tier l. THey asked me about what exam board I would like to take and I said "AQA" as it was what I was studying for the GCSEs but while I was searching I realise that there arent almost anything about past papers for the IGCSE biology or chemistry for AQA
Reply 5
It will be Pearson Edexcel IGCSE. There will be a lot of similarities but it would be worth getting some specification specific resources - just put Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry (or Biology) in Amazon and quite a few come up. Make sure you get ones that say 9-1 or from 2017 so you get the latest spec.
Reply 6
So it is not the same? Can I take AQA as the exam board for my IGCSE?. I´m completely lost because until today I´ve been studying GCSE and I dont know the difference of what do I have to study now (I´m studying at home) I used to guide myself through the specification

if you really want to take a deeper look into the content you can check out the past papers or look for pdf copies of the books online.check the past papers here: https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/past-papers/
and yes you'd be fine if you take AQA as exam board. Also why are you self teaching ?

igcse is for pussy school(private) igcse is also a hell of alot easier
Reply 8
Original post by papie
and yes you'd be fine if you take AQA as exam board.

AQA don't offer IGCSEs so no the OP won't.
Reply 9
Original post by rosegg_015

This is neither true nor constructive.
Original post by rosegg_015

The only difference between igcse and GCSE is that the igcse exams don't require any practical work. The level of difficulty is about the same so...
Reply 11
Original post by BBambiS
The only difference between igcse and GCSE is that the igcse exams don't require any practical work. The level of difficulty is about the same so...

what do you mean by igcse doesnot require practical work? are you talking about the practical exam ?
Original post by papie
what do you mean by igcse doesnot require practical work? are you talking about the practical exam ?

When you're at school you do practicals and the teacher logs it or whatever and it counts towards a certain percentage of your exam I think its 25% but I'm not sure. However if you're homeschooled for example you don't have the facilities to carry out practicals so you have to do igcse as they don't require you to do practicals.
You have to learn about the practicals but don't actually do them when you're doing igcses
Hope that made sense.
Reply 13
Original post by BBambiS
When you're at school you do practicals and the teacher logs it or whatever and it counts towards a certain percentage of your exam I think its 25% but I'm not sure. However if you're homeschooled for example you don't have the facilities to carry out practicals so you have to do igcse as they don't require you to do practicals.
You have to learn about the practicals but don't actually do them when you're doing igcses
Hope that made sense.

thanks
Original post by papie

GCSE Sciences require the school to sign to say that you have undertaken a number of specified practicals. They don't contribute to your final grade but you have to do them. This makes it very difficult for private candidates as centres can't sign this for them. IGCSE has no such requirement so is a better option for private candidates.
Math IGCSE includes topics which are not on GCSE, for instance differentiation and arithmetic progressions.
Reply 16
Original post by Compost
GCSE Sciences require the school to sign to say that you have undertaken a number of specified practicals. They don't contribute to your final grade but you have to do them. This makes it very difficult for private candidates as centres can't sign this for them. IGCSE has no such requirement so is a better option for private candidates.

here in south Asia almost everyone takes IGCSE
Original post by Compost

sorry it was the questions related to the practicals that account for 15%
Original post by papie
here in south Asia almost everyone takes IGCSE

Naturally - GCSEs are for the UK market and have to comply with government requirements for them to be taught in State schools. International GCSEs (IGCSEs) are developed for the international market and have more freedom in how they are structured.

Quick Reply

Latest