The Student Room Group

Exeter, Cardiff or Manchester?

I'm finding it really difficult to decide which university to put as my firm. I've applied for Biological Sciences.

Exeter is great because I really liked it when I visited and I like that it's a campus. I know it's also pretty high in the rankings for Biological Sciences. BUT it's only half an hour from where I live now and I kind of want to 'spread my wings' a bit more. Also I want to do a placement year but my predicted grades weren't quite high enough so I had to apply for a regular BSc in the hopes of being able to switch once I'm there. So this kind of makes it a little bit risky if I go there because I have no idea how easy it is to switch once you're there.

I also really like Manchester. The city was really nice from what I remember and I like the course there. It's also well ranked. BUT as it was one of the first open days I did, I don't remember a lot about it which is annoying. It's also REALLY far away from where I live, to the point where it may be awkward for me to get to and from uni.

Cardiff was great. I like the city and the course. It's also a pretty good distance from home. BUT I know the course isn't rated quite as well Exeter and Manchester and I know I shouldn't read into the rankings so much but I can't help worrying that it's not as respected as the other two.

To be honest, I would probably have gone with Cardiff but the one thing that's holding me back is the fact that it's not as well ranked as the others. Does this really matter? Am I reading into the rankings too much? I would really appreciate if anyone had any advice about this because I'm really stuck.
They are all average Russel Group Unis and they have practically identical career prospects for Biomedical sciences, so go for the one you'd enjoy the most.
Your career will be determined by what you choose to do and how you apply yourself, none of the University brand names will get you there alone.
Reply 2
I’d say I’m in a similar position I’m stuck between Bath and Kent and although Bath are much higher I also love Kent and not sure where I will fit best. I’ve decided that I don’t think the rankings matter much (particularly for my subject which is computer science) as the year in industry I’ve applied to do will give me a good step up into getting a job after I graduate. If you think you love Cardiff and would enjoy your time there I think that’s all that matters more than the rankings! This probs isn’t very helpful just nice to know there’s more people in a similar position to us!
Reply 3
Original post by Elmo127
I’d say I’m in a similar position I’m stuck between Bath and Kent and although Bath are much higher I also love Kent and not sure where I will fit best. I’ve decided that I don’t think the rankings matter much (particularly for my subject which is computer science) as the year in industry I’ve applied to do will give me a good step up into getting a job after I graduate. If you think you love Cardiff and would enjoy your time there I think that’s all that matters more than the rankings! This probs isn’t very helpful just nice to know there’s more people in a similar position to us!

It's definitely reassuring to know I'm not the only one. I'm actually planning on putting Kent as my second choice because I really like it there too.
Reply 4
Original post by EmilySherrell
It's definitely reassuring to know I'm not the only one. I'm actually planning on putting Kent as my second choice because I really like it there too.

It’s such a nice uni! It’s about an hour away from me though which I’m trying to decide if it’s a good or bad thing for me. But I’m thinking of making a pros and cons list of each uni to help decide. I will probs end up putting Bath firm and Kent insurance just because of the higher entry requirements though I’m hoping if I change my mind on results day even if I get into Bath I hope they would still let me accept the offer at Kent.
Reply 5
Original post by Elmo127
It’s such a nice uni! It’s about an hour away from me though which I’m trying to decide if it’s a good or bad thing for me. But I’m thinking of making a pros and cons list of each uni to help decide. I will probs end up putting Bath firm and Kent insurance just because of the higher entry requirements though I’m hoping if I change my mind on results day even if I get into Bath I hope they would still let me accept the offer at Kent.

Pros and cons list is a good shout actually. I might try that. Don't know why I didn't think of it before.
Reply 6
Original post by EmShez01
Pros and cons list is a good shout actually. I might try that. Don't know why I didn't think of it before.

My issue is finding time to actually sit down and go through it properly. Got so much else to do atm 😂 hope it helps you to decide though!
Reply 7
Original post by Elmo127
My issue is finding time to actually sit down and go through it properly. Got so much else to do atm 😂 hope it helps you to decide though!

Thanks! Same to you.
Hey! I'm stuck in the exact same situation, what bothers me is that Exeter requires a higher score for a placement year that I would want.

If you are looking to carry on in research lines in the future, a better course and a good background in research is what you should look for, and in my opinion Manchester and Exeter are one of the best for that. Hence that would be my choice. Rankings do consider such factors and I would suggest looking at them but not solely depening on them.

But if a certain criteria like the city and it's social life is important I would recommend Cardiff over Exeter, it all depends on what you want to prioritize. Manchester, no doubt will offer an excellent social life!

Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending