The Student Room Group

Real abortion debate

Poll

Is abortion moral or immoral

This discussion is whether or not abortion is moral or immoral. This discussion will exclude rape, incest or other genetic abnormalities for the reasons:
- 99% of abortions are for convenience
- These are scenarios so extreme one can create a exception for them without being a hypocrite
- ultimately the pro choice side of the debate is arguing for women's right to abort for convenience not in case of extreme circumstance

I would recommend you focus on where human life begins because ultimately I think that's where the contention lies
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think the word "convenience" is not right at all. No one aborts because it's more "convenient". Instead, people have an abortion because they don't have the financial resources, because they are simply not able to offer a child a stable home, and for many other reasons.
I really doubt that there are people who have an abortion just "like that" - for most, it's an emotional struggle and it's not a decision that is easily made.

I think the only "issue" regarding abortion is how long people are to carry a child in some countries before they have an abortion. I think anything over 3 months is insane. I know some countries allow abortions at 6 months, and that is not okay anymore in my opinion. That is the only debate there is for me.

I understand if people don't want to have an abortion, but they can decide that for themselves. I personally don't think it's okay to make laws that tell other people what they have to do with their bodies and their lives.
If you think 99% of women "willy-nilly" have abortion for convenience then you are welcome to delude yourself, this isnt the case. The soaps are not real life, you know?

Your post sounds more like,

title - abortion debate for those who agree with me

Post - please vote immoral reassure my fragile beliefs. I dont want to hear any reality just good old reinforcement of my own view. Thanks x
Reply 3
Original post by Burton Bridge
If you think 99% of women "willy-nilly" have abortion for convenience then you are welcome to delude yourself, this isnt the case. The soaps are not real life, you know?

Post - please vote immoral reassure my fragile beliefs. I dont want to hear any reality just good old reinforcement of my own view. Thanks x

PRSOM
Couldnt have put this better myself.
Your stats are wrong.
Yes, the majority of adult abortions in the uk probably are "lifestyle abortions" or undertaken by women who are convinced that abortion is a form of contraception.
But no way near the 99% figure that you have quoted.
Original post by londonmyst
Your stats are wrong.
Yes, the majority of adult abortions in the uk probably are "lifestyle abortions" or undertaken by women who are convinced that abortion is a form of contraception.

I highly doubt that a majority - probably not even 5% of the women - think of abortion as a form of contraception. Have you ever heard of anyone who just sleeps around, and when they get pregnant, they don't even care and just get an abortion randomly, so they can sleep around again? I haven't. And even if you have, I really really doubt that that is a common mindset.

Abortion is nothing that people handle carelessly. An abortion takes a physical and mental toll on people and it is never an easy decision, let alone a form of contraception.
Original post by londonmyst
Your stats are wrong.

Considering 61% of abortions are performed on women who have never had an abortion this already proves you wrong.

https://www.cbruk.org/abortionstatistics
Original post by heyitsmika
I highly doubt that a majority - probably not even 5% of the women - think of abortion as a form of contraception. Have you ever heard of anyone who just sleeps around, and when they get pregnant, they don't even care and just get an abortion randomly, so they can sleep around again? I haven't. And even if you have, I really really doubt that that is a common mindset.

Abortion is nothing that people handle carelessly. An abortion takes a physical and mental toll on people and it is never an easy decision, let alone a form of contraception.

Yes.
The people who openly conflate abortion with contraception are generally a minority and medical professionals do try to tell them the difference.
Many people casually view repeat std infections as a minor inconvenience and are equally casual about abortion.
I know plenty of millennial students, women over 30 working in uk adult entertainment establishments or the usa adult movie industry who do this as a matter of habit.
Original post by DiddyDec
Considering 61% of abortions are performed on women who have never had an abortion this already proves you wrong.

https://www.cbruk.org/abortionstatistics

I have not cited any statistics or mentioned multiple abortions.
My comments were in relation to "lifestyle abortions" and women who openly conflate abortion with contraception.
The latter point refers to women who make factually inaccurate verbal statements like "abortion is contraception, just like morning after pill" and repeat the same statement after being told the reality more than once by a doctor/nurse/pharmacist/physician's associate.

From experience, many abortion clinics are unwilling to ask women for any details as regards their private life, age, nationality or usual residential address.
The few clinics that do want to know about previous abortions, ask verbally and are often given inaccurate replies by startled women who are too scared to even provide their own first names.
Worth mentioning that even if abortion were immoral, this wouldn't affect it's legality. Plenty of immoral actions are legal.

Personally I don't think abortion is either moral or immoral. Is it moral/immoral to run into a burning building to save a child? Is it moral/immoral to refuse to donate blood or an organ to someone who needs it?
You've heard it here, folks. TSR thinks abortions are MORAL...
I'd post pics of aborted babies, but I'm pretty sure I'll get banned since we gotta protect the safe space.
Reply 11
Original post by SHallowvale
Worth mentioning that even if abortion were immoral, this wouldn't affect it's legality. Plenty of immoral actions are legal.

Personally I don't think abortion is either moral or immoral. Is it moral/immoral to run into a burning building to save a child? Is it moral/immoral to refuse to donate blood or an organ to someone who needs it?

Well put.
Original post by Joel 96
You've heard it here, folks. TSR thinks abortions are MORAL...
I'd post pics of aborted babies, but I'm pretty sure I'll get banned since we gotta protect the safe space.

You really are quite disgusting arent you.
Original post by Burton Bridge

Damn, never thought I'd see you write something like this! xD Spot on.
Original post by Napp
Well put.

You really are quite disgusting arent you.

I'm not the one advocating for mass genocide.
Reply 14
Original post by Joel 96
I'm not the one advocating for mass genocide.

No, you're the one who possess pictures of aborted fetuses.
Also, if you insist on attempting to use such emotive words as 'genocide' at least use them correctly. In no way does the practice of termination in the UK (or much of the world for that matter) even remotely meet the prerequisites for a genocide.
Original post by Napp
No, you're the one who possess pictures of aborted fetuses.
Also, if you insist on attempting to use such emotive words as 'genocide' at least use them correctly. In no way does the practice of termination in the UK (or much of the world for that matter) even remotely meet the prerequisites for a genocide.

Possess? You do realise they're all over google images, right? Funnily enough, looking at the results of abortions isn't something I do in my spare time.

I believe it's genocide, you don't. Genocide is defined by Oxford Dictionary as, "the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group". I'm going to safely assume that you disagree it's genocide because you don't believe that an unborn embryo/fetus/baby is a person, right?
Reply 16
Original post by Joel 96
Possess? You do realise they're all over google images, right? Funnily enough, looking at the results of abortions isn't something I do in my spare time.

I believe it's genocide, you don't. Genocide is defined by Oxford Dictionary as, "the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular nation or ethnic group". I'm going to safely assume that you disagree it's genocide because you don't believe that an unborn embryo/fetus/baby is a person, right?

Not being a deviant i've never gone looking for such images, unlike you it would seem.
You can believe the moon is made of dairy milk that doesnt make it so.
Well that would be one part, the next is because it isnt targeted and thirdly (most importantly) genocide is a legal term abortion isnt illegal ergo...
https://www.un.org/en/genocideprevention/genocide.shtml
Original post by SHallowvale
Damn, never thought I'd see you write something like this! xD Spot on.

Maybe you just come to your senses? :biggrin:

Im a real person with real views, I dont follow the poltical clones who hold someone else's views. I think I'm quite a level headed person, my veiws are not particularly radical at all on anything, maybe when you catch me on a left wing rant, but bar that :wink:
Original post by Napp
Not being a deviant i've never gone looking for such images, unlike you it would seem.
You can believe the moon is made of dairy milk that doesnt make it so.
Well that would be one part, the next is because it isnt targeted and thirdly (most importantly) genocide is a legal term abortion isnt illegal ergo...
https://www.un.org/en/genocideprevention/genocide.shtml

Why exactly are you so adamantly opposed to looking at aborted babies, Napp?
Reply 19
Original post by Joel 96
Why exactly are you so adamantly opposed to looking at aborted babies, Napp?

For the same reason I don't like looking at pictures of any other corpse?
I can only assume you get some kind of perverse kick out of it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending