The Student Room Group

Priti Patel's Numbers Aint Looking So Pretty

"UK firms should replace EU workers with 8m out-of-work Brits"

Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, I'm not sorry about the thread name (I'm quite proud of it actually lmao)
Reply 2
Original post by .N.A.
"UK firms should replace EU workers with 8m out-of-work Brits"

Opinions?

Yeah sounds good.

Confused what your point is..... any ideas?
Original post by Quady
Yeah sounds good.

Well, the most immediate problem with Patel's idea is that her numbers include students, the retired and those too ill to work. Her 8m people to be remobilised to cover the government's ill-informed immigration revisions aren't actually available to be remobilised.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Well, the most immediate problem with Patel's idea is that her numbers include students, the retired and those too ill to work. Her 8m people to be remobilised to cover the government's ill-informed immigration revisions aren't actually available to be remobilised.

That was my thought too. I thought unemployment was on or around 1.2 million with about 850,000 job vacancies according to the ONS. And only 250,000 claiming JSA.
Reply 5
Those 8.5m arent unemployed, they’re economically inactive. They’re not able to participate in the labour market and she is wrong for suggesting they should be seen as unemployed.

One minute immigrants come here and do nothing but allegedly claim benefits, then they come here and allegedly steal our jobs we were so eager to do ourselves.

At this point when someone talks about being pro brexit to me, I laugh at them. Unless you’re trading in markets or have strategic business plans, brexit is and already has screwed you over. Can’t wait for the North to find out the UK government is unsurprisingly not replacing the £millions of eu funds
Reply 6
Original post by Quady
Yeah sounds good.

Do you like the sound of our new immigration plans?
Original post by 3121
Those 8.5m arent unemployed, they’re economically inactive. They’re not able to participate in the labour market and she is wrong for suggesting they should be seen as unemployed.

One minute immigrants come here and do nothing but allegedly claim benefits, then they come here and allegedly steal our jobs we were so eager to do ourselves.

At this point when someone talks about being pro brexit to me, I laugh at them. Unless you’re trading in markets or have strategic business plans, brexit is and already has screwed you over. Can’t wait for the North to find out the UK government is unsurprisingly not replacing the £millions of eu funds

Firstly, thank you for giving me 5 seconds of deep nostalgia with that Brum profile picture of yours :u:

I totally agree with you. And it goes without saying that Brexit really was mostly driven by immigration and here we are with the government attempting to slice the numbers. I wonder what they'll do when they realise China and India want thousands upon thousands of visas for some reasonable trade deals...
Reply 7
There's a balance too be found, sure. That's what the points based system should do, but obviously needs a lot more attention as to what counts as a priority.

There's also the elephant in the room of paying more to attract workers. If supermarkets are able to sell their products for double what they buy for, there's quite a lot of scope for spreading that profit lower down the chain.
Original post by ThomH97
There's a balance too be found, sure. That's what the points based system should do, but obviously needs a lot more attention as to what counts as a priority.

There's also the elephant in the room of paying more to attract workers. If supermarkets are able to sell their products for double what they buy for, there's quite a lot of scope for spreading that profit lower down the chain.

What do you think is more likely to happen, CEOs and stakeholders taking a pay cut or customers being charged more?
Reply 9
Original post by DiddyDec
What do you think is more likely to happen, CEOs and stakeholders taking a pay cut or customers being charged more?

That's an option too. My point was that leaving the EU doesn't suddenly make foodselling unviable as a business.
Original post by ThomH97
That's an option too. My point was that leaving the EU doesn't suddenly make foodselling unviable as a business.

They are likely going to cut jobs before paying anyone more, I think this will be a common theme across a lot of businesses post Brexit.
They are likely going to cut jobs before paying anyone more, I think this will be a common theme across a lot of businesses post Brexit.

That's not really a solution to being short of labour?
Original post by ThomH97
That's not really a solution to being short of labour?

Downscaling or "streamlining" to reduce the need for more labour and therefore save costs.
Downscaling or "streamlining" to reduce the need for more labour and therefore save costs.

That is only necessary if higher wages would make the whole thing unprofitable. As we've agreed, that isn't the case.

Sure, some boss might think it's not worth the hassle, but that's not Brexit, it's laziness.
Reply 14
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

They are available though.
Reply 15
Original post by .N.A.
Do you like the sound of our new immigration plans?

Not really, I'd rather the salary threshold be raised to £30k.
Reply 16
Original post by Quady
They are available though.

So the sick should just hop out of the hospital and 'make themselves available' and students should start working and carers abandon the people they're caring for?
Reply 17
Original post by Quady
Not really, I'd rather the salary threshold be raised to £30k.

Well if there's one thing for sure, out of the 8,000,000, about 33k are economically inactive despite being able to work and are just being lazy. 33k is nowhere near enough to meet the demand of domestic businesses and industries. And yet you think sifting down the people even further will be beneficial?
Original post by .N.A.
So the sick should just hop out of the hospital and 'make themselves available' and students should start working and carers abandon the people they're caring for?

That is the Tory utopia.
Reply 19

Original post by ThomH97

Shareholders come first, then the board, then customers then employees. That’s not about to change. Also supermarkets don’t make that kind of money, you’ll be surprised how small the margins are on many products, things like milk even make a loss sometimes.

Quick Reply

Latest