The Student Room Group

Joining a society mid year

So there's this society I really want to join but I'm nervous starting now cause I'm halfway through my degree and I'm worried people will think it's weird. I did try to go to their refreshers event a couple of weeks ago but I couldn't get into the building which I guess is making me more nervous and I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else has experience with joining a society mid-way through an academic year
I've never joined mid year, but there's always been someone who has joined my society mid year (either through refreshers or coming back from a semester abroad). If they have a facebook page, maybe either put a post on that or message someone on committee saying you'd like to join, that way they'll know to look out for you and you'll have some friendly faces waiting. go for it, throw yourself into it and after a few weeks, it won't seem like you joined late.
Reply 2
Original post by boods8897
I've never joined mid year, but there's always been someone who has joined my society mid year (either through refreshers or coming back from a semester abroad). If they have a facebook page, maybe either put a post on that or message someone on committee saying you'd like to join, that way they'll know to look out for you and you'll have some friendly faces waiting. go for it, throw yourself into it and after a few weeks, it won't seem like you joined late.

Thanks for the reply. They do have a facebook and I've thought about messaging them but the societies at my uni cost money to join and I'm worried about writing to them if it'll come across as me wanting a free session, basically imma awkward mess which probably explains why I still haven't joined
Original post by Frowlands
Thanks for the reply. They do have a facebook and I've thought about messaging them but the societies at my uni cost money to join and I'm worried about writing to them if it'll come across as me wanting a free session, basically imma awkward mess which probably explains why I still haven't joined

All societies have membership costs but then all will be willing to let people have a couple of free taster sessions anyway. If you message them, worst case scenario you try it out and don't enjoy it and never go back, best case you love it and find a load of new friends. Honestly just give it a shot, you'll regret not trying anything more!
Reply 4
Original post by boods8897
All societies have membership costs but then all will be willing to let people have a couple of free taster sessions anyway. If you message them, worst case scenario you try it out and don't enjoy it and never go back, best case you love it and find a load of new friends. Honestly just give it a shot, you'll regret not trying anything more!

Yeah, you're right, I'll try to work myself up to contact them. Thanks for your help!
Original post by Frowlands
So there's this society I really want to join but I'm nervous starting now cause I'm halfway through my degree and I'm worried people will think it's weird. I did try to go to their refreshers event a couple of weeks ago but I couldn't get into the building which I guess is making me more nervous and I guess I just wanted to see if anyone else has experience with joining a society mid-way through an academic year

Facebook message a comitee member, it will be fine!

Live & let live, your only at uni for a short amount of time.
Reply 6
Depends a little what it is.

If it's a sports club then you might have missed the registration for their leagues, which would limit what you can do with the team. But most other things would probably be ok. You'll just have to ask and find out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending