The Student Room Group

News of Caroline flack affecting anyone?

Is Caroline’s sudden passing having any affect on anyone else because it’s really making me upset. I know it’s stupid, I didn’t know her and her friends and family must be in pieces but I’ve been crying every night since the news, is anyone else feeling the same? I just keep thinking what right have I got to be upset but it’s just so sad as this all could have been prevented.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Idk, not directly. But knowing how traumatic suicide is for those left behind I feel deeply for her family and friends. I get bothered as well that there's all this talk about talk to people if you're feeling down, but really, most people don't want to know and neither do MH services a lot of the time (IME anyway). I don't think all suicide is preventable and I think that's a dangerous message to send to those left behind by suicide as well. Sometimes it is just unavoidable. You can't control everything or everyone. It is just a tragic part of life.
Reply 2
I never said all suicide was preventable but in this case it mostly likely was, obviously we don’t know what was going on in her life but suicide is a lot of the time multiple factors and one main factor was obviously the whole trial and media thing (not getting into that) but if that part was taken away it could have potentially prevented it. And to say suicide is just tragic but a part of life is scary if that’s how people think it can’t just be accepted as the normal
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I never said all suicide was preventable but in this case it mostly likely was, obviously we don’t know what was going on in her life but suicide is a lot of the time multiple factors and one main factor was obviously the whole trial and media thing (not getting into that) but if that part was taken away it could have potentially prevented it. And to say suicide is just tragic but a part of life is scary if that’s how people think it can’t just be accepted as the normal

Well it is a part of life. It's an incredibly complicated issue, and we will never know if it was preventable tbh because she completed it anyway.

I'm not saying it should just be accepted as the normal, and I do think more should be done to support those who are struggling in that way. But not everyone can be kept safe. And unfortunately she wasn't able to cope in any other way, she probably thought it was the only way out of her current situation. Who knows.

Idk, I'm probably biased because I think this big uprising and everyone talking about it is annoying - nothing ever changes with each celebrity lost and the common person is still treated like dirt. I have read and heard some horrendous **** about the people I've lost to suicide. I've lost 3 people to suicide and it sucks but unless the MH services improve this sort of thing will not change. Speak to those around you, check in with them. Ask them how they are. USe this upset you have for good, fuel for change and all that.

This is probably a complete tangent. I just feel sort of hopeless when I think about all the issues in the world, suicide being one of them.

Anyway, I am sorry you are struggling with this. If you do want to chat, you're welcome to drop me a message. Suicide is a truly traumatic thing to deal with, to some extent even from afar.
No? I get that it's sad, but she did hit her boyfriend over the head with a lamp at the end of the day. People were going to inevitably attack her. She obviously had various other issues to commit suicide, I'm guessing that this happening just tipped her over the edge. I agree that the media is absolutely disgusting to people sometimes but something like that is going to get reported. She did that and she had to take responsibility.

So at the end of the day, yes it's sad that she lost her life, but she's never been a flawless person and you didn't know her, so move on. You probably shouldn't have serious grief for someone you never knew, especially considering what she did beforehand. In my opinion, the media was all over her but really isn't to blame for her suicide. You don't kill yourself because of that, things add up over time. There are things that people could have done better but let's not make excuses for her: She did some pretty bad and weird things in her time and she was the one who made the decision to hang herself. You just have to move on.
Reply 5
She didn’t actually hit him with it she threw it big difference it was an accident and the blood on the bed was actually hers not his
Reply 6
Who?
Is Caroline’s sudden passing having any affect on anyone else because it’s really making me upset. I know it’s stupid, I didn’t know her and her friends and family must be in pieces but I’ve been crying every night since the news, is anyone else feeling the same? I just keep thinking what right have I got to be upset but it’s just so sad as this all could have been prevented.

It has upset me, not to the extent that it's upset you, though. It wasn't her suicide that I found most upsetting, it was the reasons why she made that decision. I was more upset at the world I live in and how disgusting some people are. I just really hope people learn to be kind.

I wouldn't say it's not affecting me to the point that I cry about it but it definitely is such a tragic depressing and unfair thing to hear about. Why she did this? No-one really knows because we don't even know the pain that she has been going through nor does the press and media really! I also find what is the most saddening part is the fact that her private life has been so exposed by the press which was really unfair - that immediately removed any privacy that was required of her. People have also been saying such mean things about her too after the assault charges she was held with and then now that she's gone they all come supporting her / feeling sympathy or whatever it is. Ultimately, the media is cruel, unfair and doesn't respect the fact that these celebrities or people with high profile do not want everything about themselves shared in the media! She clearly lost all her dignity. She even posted how she was feeling on her social media and said things like " In a world which you can be anything.... be kind". Now that for me, says something.

I just feel that the way it had come to it was really really horrible and it's nothing that she or anyone deserves!
Any decent person would care about someone dying. The people that don't care need to reevaluate their existence.
Any decent person would care about someone dying. The people that don't care need to reevaluate their existence.

Why anon?

'Crying every night'.

Come on - get a grip. You didn't know her personally and it's a bit over the top and melodramatic to be weeping about a stranger daily, don't you think?
No.
Original post by Reality Check
'Crying every night'.

Come on - get a grip. You didn't know her personally and it's a bit over the top and melodramatic to be weeping about a stranger daily, don't you think?

Only a sentimental person (or one battling depression) would show this much distress over the death of a stranger, so perhaps OP should talk to a GP? dunno.
I am really sick of people saying "it's sad, but she hit her boyfriend". It's almost like they are justifying not feeling sympathetic about her demise because they are not emotionally functional. Get over yourself, no-one needs to hear about your explanations x
Only a sentimental person (or one battling depression) would show this much distress over the death of a stranger, so perhaps OP should talk to a GP? dunno.

Yes, I agree. It's a bit pathological.
Original post by Pharyngotympanic
Why anon?

Because why not?
Because why not?

Moral cowardice?
I am really sick of people saying "it's sad, but she hit her boyfriend". It's almost like they are justifying not feeling sympathetic about her demise because they are not emotionally functional. Get over yourself, no-one needs to hear about your explanations x

Some actions to some people, justify a hatred towards someone that merits an absense of empathy towards them, even when they die.
Doesnt make them emotionally unfunctional just a different logical working through of a situation.
I mean, it’s sad and I was very shocked when I first heard about it because she’s just not the kind of person who I thought would top herself. I didn’t really watch her but I do remember the few times I did happen to see her on TV she seemed super sweet and pleasant. So it was a big shock for sure, but other than that it hasn’t majorly affected me. I’ve given more thought to the immense pain she must have been in and how she was mocked and degraded mercilessly. The British media really is among the worst in the world when it comes to relentlessly hounding people.

Quick Reply

Latest