The Student Room Group

AS Organic Chemistry

Hi. I needed some advice for AS organic chemistry.
Can someone tell me that in mcqs, how are we supposed to do questions asking about the number of isomers, or the number of chiral carbons present in a particular compound quickly? I mean I usually end up taking a lot of time in drawing structure and identifying them.
Also, is there any specific advice for organic chemistry? I still have to cover a lot. And wanted to know about how much time will it take for me to cover about 5-6 chapters? I want to complete it as soon as possible.
And should I keep with the exam board textbook, or is chemguide, cgp or any other resource better?
Reply 1
Original post by Knightrises10
Hi. I needed some advice for AS organic chemistry.
Can someone tell me that in mcqs, how are we supposed to do questions asking about the number of isomers, or the number of chiral carbons present in a particular compound quickly? I mean I usually end up taking a lot of time in drawing structure and identifying them.
Also, is there any specific advice for organic chemistry? I still have to cover a lot. And wanted to know about how much time will it take for me to cover about 5-6 chapters? I want to complete it as soon as possible.
And should I keep with the exam board textbook, or is chemguide, cgp or any other resource better?

I would say with practice and doing questions and papers under timed conditions you get quite fast at doing things like identifying chiral centres.
I would say with organic chemistry papers papers papers!!! There's always going to be a couple questions on the synthetic routes and practical techniques but mainly synthetic routes so make sure you know them inside and out! That ofc will only be achieved through doing loads of questions.
In terms of resources, I would say stick to textbook and CGP but also read around! You literally don't know what they can ask you and each resource has a different way of explaining things so by doing so you will find one textbook that explains it well enough to help with your understanding:smile:
Original post by Sidd1
I would say with practice and doing questions and papers under timed conditions you get quite fast at doing things like identifying chiral centres.
I would say with organic chemistry papers papers papers!!! There's always going to be a couple questions on the synthetic routes and practical techniques but mainly synthetic routes so make sure you know them inside and out! That ofc will only be achieved through doing loads of questions.
In terms of resources, I would say stick to textbook and CGP but also read around! You literally don't know what they can ask you and each resource has a different way of explaining things so by doing so you will find one textbook that explains it well enough to help with your understanding:smile:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Knightrises10
Thank you :smile:

No worries :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest