The Student Room Group

Extracurricular's for engineering?

I would like to study mechanical engineering at university.

I hopefully have managed to get a work placement through college 🤞 and I plan to contact local companies to see if I can do some work experience over the summer. I am also doing the Engineering Education Scheme in which I hope to gain a gold CREST award from.

I'm also doing my DofE gold award and through volunteering and expedition sections I believe I am developing teamwork and communication skills, which I believe to be somewhat useful for an engineer.

I also plan to do some wider reading over the summer and I've applied for as many opportunities as I can (UNIQ, Sutton Trust, Work experience, taster days) that I believe to be relevant.

Any other ideas of what I could be doing in the meantime? :smile:
Original post by milliejayne19

I hopefully have managed to get a work placement through college 🤞 and I plan to contact local companies to see if I can do some work experience over the summer. I am also doing the Engineering Education Scheme in which I hope to gain a gold CREST award from.

I'm also doing my DofE gold award and through volunteering and expedition sections I believe I am developing teamwork and communication skills, which I believe to be somewhat useful for an engineer.

I also plan to do some wider reading over the summer and I've applied for as many opportunities as I can (UNIQ, Sutton Trust, Work experience, taster days) that I believe to be relevant.

engineering isn't necessarily a vocational degree unless you go for a course which entails industry experience so you don't need to demonstrate qualities of a good engineer but you will need to give evidence suggesting you are engaged with the course through reading and research - especially for Oxbridge
Reply 2
Which universities are you targeting and which a levels are you taking?
Original post by ajj2000
Which universities are you targeting and which a levels are you taking?

I am taking Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Further Maths and I am aiming to go to a top university, so far I like the look of Leeds, Bristol and Bath :smile:
Reply 4
I am taking Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Further Maths and I am aiming to go to a top university, so far I like the look of Leeds, Bristol and Bath :smile:

You sound like a perfect candidate!

I don’t know about those universities in particular but think that engineering courses like to see some academic interest in engineering outside of your a level courses - so reading some books on engineering / science themes and showing how you gained from and enjoyed reading them is of value.
Reply 5
Oh, and see if you can find universities - a local university will be fine - which do introductory sessions for physics and or engineering. These can be a good way to see what the course will be like at university, and how different engineering disciplines vary from each other.
Original post by ajj2000
You sound like a perfect candidate!

I don’t know about those universities in particular but think that engineering courses like to see some academic interest in engineering outside of your a level courses - so reading some books on engineering / science themes and showing how you gained from and enjoyed reading them is of value.

I literally just got onto UNIQ for materials science! Couldn't be happier rn!! :smile:

Extra curricular activities aren't really relevant for engineering - you get admitted to university based on your grades, so focus on them. If you can get some form of work experience, great, but if not then it doesn't matter at all. You can read some books (the Cambridge engineering reading list has plenty of good suggestions that you can actually sit down and read, i.e. they're not just textbooks) to write about on your PS, too, although again it doesn't matter much.

Quick Reply

Latest