The Student Room Group

Why are so many Americans so crazy?

First off I know not a lot are so don’t storm the replies with that 😂

Americans can be so crazy. They worship a flag and if you don’t do the worshiping thing/ you sit down teachers threaten to lower your grades?

And people who kneel during the anthem get so much ****. Like dude. The national anthem is basically an advert for america it’s not that deep.

Like people say “ooh Russia’s crazy they have to worship their president” then worship a flag

And if anybody says “hey our country kind of sucks because of these reasons” they get insulted by dozens of people

I know not all Americans are like this but it seems like the ones that are are completely brainwashed to worship America to the point where people who want to change laws are being threatened by people who carry guns!

Even Christians worship an American centred idea of Jesus and don’t follow the actual bible

And people are so crazy about religion too. There’s whole places where you HAVE to worship Jesus and if you don’t people will pray for you in the street and all that.

America seems to be simultaneously stuck in the 1940’s and present date and it’s just strange to me

A lot of Americans will even justify things like homophobia transphobia child abuse domestic abuse rape sexual assault on the grounds of freeSpeech and victim blaming

I get that this goes on in other countries but america is the worst for it and the most influential, from movies to other media’s etc. Also since america isn’t a third world country with access to science surely they should know better
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It is insanely hypocritical.
But, thankfully, a lot of the sane ones are aware of this.

Most of it, imo, stems from how it was formed. The narrative about people moving there because they wanted to follow their religion and beliefs is something that's been skewed over time. It's partly right. They were allowed to believe whatever they wanted to when they were in Europe. What they couldn't do was persecute according to those beliefs, and that's what they wanted to do. That's why the first generations left.

And since then, they've been morality police...
(edited 4 years ago)
They are a nation built by extremists that were socially excluded by Europeans for their extremists views.
They honestly are nuts - even the highly educated ones are racist and do weird stuff like guard the Mexican borders at night and hunt illegal immigrants crossing into the Arizona desert. I used to know many people who did that. Luckily I woke up to the fact that I don’t want anything to do with these nuts people
Original post by Blueclueless

America’s can be so crazy. They worship a flag and if you don’t do the worshiping thing/ you sit down teachers threaten to lower your grades?

And people who kneel during the anthem hey so much ****. Like dude. The national anthem is basically an advert for america it’s not that deep.

Like people say “ooh Russia’s crazy they have to worship their president” then worship a flag

And if anybody says “hey our country kind of sucks because of these reasons” they get insulted by dozens of people

I know not all Americans are like this but it seems like the ones that are are completely brainwashed to worship America to the point where people who want to change laws are being threatened by people who carry guns!

And people are so crazy about religion too. There’s whole places where you HAVE to worship Jesus and if you don’t people will pray for you in the street and all that.

America seems to be simultaneously stuck in the 1940’s and present date and it’s just strange to me

America isn't stuck in the 1940s. They are stuck in the 1640s. We lambaste Americanisms, but in reality most Americanisms are actually Old Englishisms. Our language has changed, theirs haven't. We often like to think we are like the Americans but we more more like the French in terms of outlook and values than the Americans.

That said, the vast majority of Americans are lovely. They are exceedingly resourceful, upbeat, positive and generous. Family and charity are very central to their way of thinking and they certainly foster more inclusive communities when compared to our standoffish view of our immediate neighbours.

They are just different. Wouldn't the world be a dull place if everyone in the world only ever complained about the weather.
Original post by ByEeek
That said, the vast majority of Americans are lovely. They are exceedingly resourceful, upbeat, positive and generous.

Nah, they're just after a tip.
America comes in for stick here where other countries never would . For example.......

Whats it about Pakistanis?
Pakistanis can be so crazy. They worship a flag and if you don’t do the worshiping thing/ you sit down teachers threaten to lower your grades?

And people who kneel during the anthem hey so much ****. Like dude. The national anthem is basically an advert for Pakistan it’s not that deep.

I know not all Pakistanis are like this but it seems like the ones that are are completely brainwashed to worship Pakistan to the point where people who want to change laws are being threatened by people who carry guns!

And people are so crazy about religion too. There’s whole places where you HAVE to worship Mohammed and if you don’t people will kill you in the street.

Pakistan seems to be simultaneously stuck in the 1440’s and present date and it’s just strange to me

A lot of Pakistanis will even justify things like homophobia transphobia child abuse domestic abuse rape sexual assault on the grounds of culture, religion and victim blaming.

Think that would fly?
I don't think so.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Blueclueless

America’s can be so crazy. They worship a flag and if you don’t do the worshiping thing/ you sit down teachers threaten to lower your grades?

And people who kneel during the anthem hey so much ****. Like dude. The national anthem is basically an advert for america it’s not that deep.

A lot of Americans will even justify things like homophobia transphobia child abuse domestic abuse rape sexual assault on the grounds of freeSpeech and victim blaming

What unbalanced and crazy views you have. Why isolate America when you can find extreme nationalism or idiocy in any country. You are being incredibly simplistic and one eyed.
Original post by Just my opinion
America comes in for stick here where other countries never would . For example.......

Pakistanis can be so crazy. They worship a flag and if you don’t do the worshiping thing/ you sit down teachers threaten to lower your grades?

And people who kneel during the anthem hey so much ****. Like dude. The national anthem is basically an advert for Pakistan it’s not that deep.

I know not all Pakistanis are like this but it seems like the ones that are are completely brainwashed to worship Pakistan to the point where people who want to change laws are being threatened by people who carry guns!

And people are so crazy about religion too. There’s whole places where you HAVE to worship Mohammed and if you don’t people will kill you in the street.

Pakistan seems to be simultaneously stuck in the 1440’s and present date and it’s just strange to me

A lot of Pakistanis will even justify things like homophobia transphobia child abuse domestic abuse rape sexual assault on the grounds of culture, religion and victim blaming.

Think that would fly?
I don't think so.

Agreed.
Original post by 999tigger
What unbalanced and crazy views you have. Why isolate America when you can find extreme nationalism or idiocy in any country. You are being incredibly simplistic and one eyed.

I've talked to quite a few Americans in my time and trust me, patriotic insanity is a lot more common in the US than anywhere in Europe.
There's crazy people all over the world, I don't think this is exclusive to just the US.
Original post by Cryoraptor
I've talked to quite a few Americans in my time and trust me, patriotic insanity is a lot more common in the US than anywhere in Europe.

That is the whole point I dont trust you and have no reason to, quite the opposite. I think its bizarre you single out the US.
That is the whole point I dont trust you and have no reason to, quite the opposite. I think its bizarre you single out the US.

Where did I say I single out the US? All I said was, it's a lot more common than anywhere in Europe. Not the whole world. There are places much worse than the US in terms of brainless patriotism.
Yeah you get these kind of people everywhere, the US just seems to put more of them on TV :rolleyes:
Original post by StriderHort
Yeah you get these kind of people everywhere, the US just seems to put more of them on TV :rolleyes:

That's definitely a part of it haha
Original post by Cryoraptor
Where did I say I single out the US? All I said was, it's a lot more common than anywhere in Europe. Not the whole world. There are places much worse than the US in terms of brainless patriotism.

Sorry mistook you for the OP. Its a large country with 330m people that means a lot of variety.
US have only had a few wars on its territory compared to Europe.
Sorry mistook you for the OP. Its a large country with 330m people that means a lot of variety.
US have only had a few wars on its territory compared to Europe.

Oh, it's okay haha, we're all sleep-deprived sometimes

The US has had relatively few mostly because of it's early isolationist policies. That and because it's significantly younger than European countries. Since WW1 and the worst president of all time, Wilson, the US has been involved in basically every armed conflict on the planet, if not running them entirely.

Either way, the US is very broken internally and a very odd case in general. It's pretty much the definition of hybrid vigour lmao

I’m really not. everything I’ve mentioned is something that’s been worldwide known from America. From tv shows on it to thousands of online videos

plus this was about America specifically a genuine question if you can’t handle that then that’s not my problem that’s clearly just you being sensitive.
Original post by Just my opinion

Think that would fly?
I don't think so.

If that actually happened in countries then yeah it would fly because you’re talking about something that goes on in a country?

I pointed out America specifically because they’re the main producers of things like media TV shows Hollywood that kind of thing.

a lot of people are getting really angry over it in the comments even though it was just a genuine question with examples that have come from media and TV.
Original post by syrialove1981
They honestly are nuts - even the highly educated ones are racist and do weird stuff like guard the Mexican borders at night and hunt illegal immigrants crossing into the Arizona desert. I used to know many people who did that. Luckily I woke up to the fact that I don’t want anything to do with these nuts people

Holy ****! Good on you for distancing yourself my dude that sounds crazy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending