The Student Room Group

GCSE- should I bother making flashcards now?

As there are only three months left to GCSEs, is there any point making flashcards for all my science content now? I do triple science so i know it would take a lot of time, and I’ve already got most of my content on quizlet which I can have flashcards with online. I don’t want to look back thinking I’ve wasted time and I was wondering if there is any high grade students who did well without flashcards?

Scroll to see replies

Flashcards are amazing. Using quizlet is good for on the go but at home make flashcards because using your phone at home can lead to distraction which happened a lot to me. I got 7s in bio and chem and 8 in physics and most of my info was on flashcards
Reply 2
Original post by OzzMorris
Flashcards are amazing. Using quizlet is good for on the go but at home make flashcards because using your phone at home can lead to distraction which happened a lot to me. I got 7s in bio and chem and 8 in physics and most of my info was on flashcards

Do you think it’s worth me making them now? Or should I just start learning content? And congrats they are such good grades!
Reply 3

how many flashcards you got?
i have around 1200 in total for all science- and its difficult to remember them
Original post by Ewhiskerd8
Do you think it’s worth me making them now? Or should I just start learning content? And congrats they are such good grades!

Do them in conjunction with each other. Learn content and make flashcards at the same time. Trust me it takes pressure off near exam season and you can just get them out and revise quickly because its quick fire info. And ah thank you so much, I couldn't believe it!!!
Original post by 12m22
how many flashcards you got?
i have around 1200 in total for all science- and its difficult to remember them

I did have around 150 for each science, more for physics because of the equations.

I achieved high grades in GCSE science (I did combined Edexcel, and got an 8 and a 9), but I did not use physical flashcards, I found that they were a waste of time and effort.

What I tended to revise with was Quizlet, mock exam papers, and short tests on the BBC website. I'd also make posters or comic cartoons about the different scientific processes that I had to learn, and I'd pin them up on my bedroom wall for a period of time, maybe then I would take a test on that topic. As I like images, I would draw images associated with the key terms or processes, next to the names, in order to recall them faster.

Are you more of a visual, auditory, or sensory person?

This option will impact the best, and most efficient method of revision.
Original post by Mobitela
I achieved high grades in GCSE science (I did combined Edexcel, and got an 8 and a 9), but I did not use physical flashcards, I found that they were a waste of time and effort.

What I tended to revise with was Quizlet, mock exam papers, and short tests on the BBC website. I'd also make posters or comic cartoons about the different scientific processes that I had to learn, and I'd pin them up on my bedroom wall for a period of time, maybe then I would take a test on that topic. As I like images, I would draw images associated with the key terms or processes, next to the names, in order to recall them faster.

Yeah I also did comic cartoons about scientific processes and they helped me a lot because of small amounts of info, and the drawings helped me understand also which is why on flashcards I would often sub words for pictures.
Reply 8

I would say I am an auditory learner! I do enjoy science (I got a 9 in physics, 8 in bio and 8 in chemistry in the mocks), but I don’t have a set way to revise I kinda just read through notes and do loads of practise questions, but for the real thing I want to have a set way to revise! I’m just unsure now whether to bother making flashcards as I need to start learning content a lot now. Also when did you start revising? You did so well!
Use seneca, 100 percent better at this stage at least!

:smile:
Reply 10
I don’t think I’m gonna bother, I’m going to continue learning science content using quizlet flashcards- I’ve never used flashcards before and I’ve done well in my mocks so I don’t think it’s necessary! If it’s taking a long time and isn’t helping you I wouldn’t bother! If you’re doing Edexcel science you can use my quizlet flashcards if you want!
Reply 11
Original post by Rolo1234
Use seneca, 100 percent better at this stage at least!

:smile:

Thanks! I do occasionally use seneca (not for physics though) but primarily I just work through practise questions!
I would say I am an auditory learner! I do enjoy science (I got a 9 in physics, 8 in bio and 8 in chemistry in the mocks), but I don’t have a set way to revise I kinda just read through notes and do loads of practise questions, but for the real thing I want to have a set way to revise! I’m just unsure now whether to bother making flashcards as I need to start learning content a lot now. Also when did you start revising? You did so well!

Thank you 😊. I was revising over the whole of the 2 years, but the intensity of revision definitely increased as it came closer to the exams. You say that you are an auditory learner; I am too, in many ways.

One technique which I found was very useful for learning English lit quotations, science and maths equations(those that aren't provided on the exam paper) and key terms was applying musical tunes to them. If you're not musical, this might not help.

As an example of how it could be done, here's a link to an English poem (AQA GCSE, War and Conflict) as a song:
https://youtu.be/Qv2IXytY0fI
https://youtu.be/05rfN51Ovmo
(edited 4 years ago)
I did the exact same thing and got all 8s and 9s in my gcses
As there are only three months left to GCSEs, is there any point making flashcards for all my science content now? I do triple science so i know it would take a lot of time, and I’ve already got most of my content on quizlet which I can have flashcards with online. I don’t want to look back thinking I’ve wasted time and I was wondering if there is any high grade students who did well without flashcards?

I’m scottish so I take a different set of exams but when I was at that level flashcards were a waste of time for me, i find that the best flashcards to look at close to exams r ones with past paper questions that u got wrong and the answer a long with an explanation of why it is that answer
I got all 8’s in triple science and I never made physical flash cards. I only made them on quizlet
Reply 16

yes
Reply 17
Thank you 😊. I was revising over the whole of the 2 years, but the intensity of revision definitely increased as it came closer to the exams. You say that you are an auditory learner; I am too, in many ways.

One technique which I found was very useful for learning English lit quotations, science and maths equations(those that aren't provided on the exam paper) and key terms was applying musical tunes to them. If you're not musical, this might not help.

As an example of how it could be done, here's a link to an English poem (AQA GCSE, War and Conflict) as a song:

this is amazing, do you have links to any others?
Reply 18

I am very musical actually so this could be helpful! Thank you so much! I actually do GCSE music 😂
Reply 19
Original post by Leenaaaazozozoz
I did the exact same thing and got all 8s and 9s in my gcses

Original post by Katyyferrierr
I’m scottish so I take a different set of exams but when I was at that level flashcards were a waste of time for me, i find that the best flashcards to look at close to exams r ones with past paper questions that u got wrong and the answer a long with an explanation of why it is that answer

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest