The Student Room Group

degree suggestions related to chemistry and physics?

hi so im in year 12 and im really starting to panic about the fact i have no idea what degree i should do (even tho i know its still a bit early ).
basiacally im doing chemistry,physics,maths and french to AS and for ages ive wanted to do a chemistry degree (or anything that heavily chemistry and physics based ).
i started reading up on like after the degree and it seems like the job prospects for a chemist are rubbish so now dont know what to do
ive looked at chemical engineering but that doesnt quite seem right cus it just looks too maths and technology based and like it would be boring.

so if anyone have any other suggestions of interesting degrees that also have good job prospects that would be great :smile:
Biochemistry, Environmental science, Earth science/ Geology, Occupational therapy, Optometry, Orthoptics, Psychology, Speech therapy and sport sciences
Reply 2
Would you want the opportunity to study french further?
Reply 3
Also - what grades are you expecting? Have you looked at materials science / engineering?
Original post by ajj2000
Also - what grades are you expecting? Have you looked at materials science / engineering?

I dont think they would like those because engineering does rely heavily on maths content and chemical engineering didnt suit their taste. Idk too much about materials science but I assume they wouldnt like it
Yeah i would really love to do a year abroad but i guess i cant make that a priority as i could just go to france independently on holidays and stuff.
Original post by ajj2000
Would you want the opportunity to study french further?

Yeah i would really like to do a year abroad but i guess i cant make that a priority as i could always do french independently and go to france on holidays etc
Original post by ajj2000

So may grades have slipped a bit so im hoping to get them up but rn im expected three As and a B in maths but im going to try and get my maths up to an A and possibly see if i could get an A* in physics as thats been my grade the whole year so far
Original post by ajj2000

Oh and ive looked at material science as a possibility but really havent done anything thorough so could be a contender
Reply 9
Original post by Graceonah
Yeah i would really like to do a year abroad but i guess i cant make that a priority as i could always do french independently and go to france on holidays etc

See your point but its a bit of a special opportunity - you get the student loan and get to live abroad - plus maybe some credits for language classes. Well worth looking through what different universities offer in this respect.
Reply 10
Many science graduates go into IT, finance, stuff like that. A chemistry degree wouldn't hold you back.
If you want to study a subject based on physics and chemistry, you could do natural sciences, materials science or engineering.
Original post by gonah
hi so im in year 12 and im really starting to panic about the fact i have no idea what degree i should do (even tho i know its still a bit early ).
basiacally im doing chemistry,physics,maths and french to AS and for ages ive wanted to do a chemistry degree (or anything that heavily chemistry and physics based ).
i started reading up on like after the degree and it seems like the job prospects for a chemist are rubbish so now dont know what to do
ive looked at chemical engineering but that doesnt quite seem right cus it just looks too maths and technology based and like it would be boring.

so if anyone have any other suggestions of interesting degrees that also have good job prospects that would be great :smile:

Put your A levels in here: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
Yeah the few unis i have looked at seem to be quite flexible with studying abroad so hopefully i would be able to do one. I just have to find a degree lol 🥴
Original post by gonah

environmental science is the big one in recent times.

consider Scottish unis - in your first year or (or potentially two) you study 3 subjects, giving you time to decide what you want to do

Quick Reply

Latest