The Student Room Group

Too young for lifting (16)

I am 16 started going to the gym and this is my workout, My body weight is 56.6kg.
Workout A -
Squat 52.5kg
OverHead press 20kg
Dead Lift 40kg
Work out B -
Squat 55kg
Bench Press 22.5kg
Barbell row 32.5kg
Should I stop as I have heard rumours of it damaging my body, bones and growth

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe don't stop completely but try to lower the amount that you're doing-don't overwork yourself as you're only 16.
Reply 2
Original post by Mills313
Maybe don't stop completely but try to lower the amount that you're doing-don't overwork yourself as you're only 16.

Yh cheers on the app it says up 2.5kg every time as it’s meant to get you stronger, i was thinking go right up to just below your body weight.
Reply 3
Original post by AlfieMetson
Yh cheers on the app it says up 2.5kg every time as it’s meant to get you stronger, i was thinking go right up to just below your body weight.

I mean,if you think that'll work best for you then go for it. Sounds good to me i guess.
Reply 4
Original post by Mills313
I mean,if you think that'll work best for you then go for it. Sounds good to me i guess.

Do you think it would damage my body, bones or growth
Reply 5

I don't see why it should... I think that adults just like telling kids that they shouldn't start working out yet and use the whole growth and bone damage thing to make them listen. None of that has been backed up by science- it's really just a concern if you start by lifting the heavy stuff right away and not gradually where you could damage your body so no,i don't think it will be too much of a problem in that respect.

Overhead exercises affect growth
Reply 7
How comes overhead press affects your growth?
Reply 8
Original post by aashan21
Overhead exercises affect growth

How comes overhead press affects your growth?

Where is this coming from? Genetics affects height. If overhead exercises did so, how do you explain the size of Anthony Joshua, Tyson Fury, the Klitschko brothers?
Original post by Surnia
Where is this coming from? Genetics affects height. If overhead exercises did so, how do you explain the size of Anthony Joshua, Tyson Fury, the Klitschko brothers?

If your below 16, overhead exercise affects height according to my local gym instructor
whats your height
If your below 16, overhead exercise affects height according to my local gym instructor

Yes because your local gym instructor knows more about anatomy than scientists.
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
Yes because your local gym instructor knows more about anatomy than scientists.

Did I say he knows more?
Did I say he knows more?

No so if you know he doesn't know more whats the point in sharing it?
(edited 4 years ago)
No so if you know he doesn't no more whats the point in sharing it?

Did I say he knows no more?
Original post by furzisulta
whats your height

5’9
5’9

dont then, sleep min 8 hours and eat A LOT, meat especially. carb dosent help much when it comes to both height gain and bulking up
dont worry about it for now. what's important is your height. im telling you.
Original post by furzisulta
dont then, sleep min 8 hours and eat A LOT, meat especially. carb dosent help much when it comes to both height gain and bulking up
dont worry about it for now. what's important is your height. im telling you.

Do you have any scientific sources saying that weightlifting bad for you?
Reply 19
Do you have any scientific sources saying that weightlifting bad for you?

I would say that too much of weightlifting done without much guidance can stress your body out and injure your bones and musscles, resulting in increased cortisol secretion. This can result in growth being compromised?
There's no substantial documented evidence of this but I personally wouldnt do very heavy lifting, as you can do all the weightlifting you want to, but your growth will stop after 19 or 20 yrs of age. As a growing adolescent boy, I usually do dumbell curls and dont exceed max 7 kg of weight. (I'm 179cms)

Quick Reply

Latest