The Student Room Group

What happens on your first braces appointment?

I have a braces appointment tomorrow and I was just wondering what they do on the first one - like is it just talking or do they also do xrays and moulds etc so soon? Also how long can I expect to be waiting to get braces (assuming that I may need teeth taking out which will lengthen the process)

I’m under 18 and it will be on the NHS if that matters

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump :smile:
Original post by RyanC_
I have a braces appointment tomorrow and I was just wondering what they do on the first one - like is it just talking or do they also do xrays and moulds etc so soon? Also how long can I expect to be waiting to get braces (assuming that I may need teeth taking out which will lengthen the process)

Hi,

In my experience it was just discussions and then talks of having four teeth out due to overcrowding.

They didn’t do any moulds or X-rays till after I had my teeth out.

Good luck, I’m sure it will be fine :smile:
Reply 3
Can’t remember exactly but similar to above mine was just talking about it I think and giving a rough timescale. I think I had an X-ray to check how many baby teeth I had to have taken out (mine refused to fall out🙄) but once they were out it was pretty quick to get the brace on. I had the top ones put on 5 months after the first appt and then bottom ones a month after that hope that helps?
Reply 4
For my first appointment, had talks on which 4 of my adult teeth were going to be taken out, x-rays and had moulds.
My son had a few appts - discuss treatment, take moulds, remove teeth (soon) and then go back to get brace fitted...they say for appts, treatment etc this can take upto 2 years...and several appts for tightening etc
Reply 6
Thanks everyone :biggrin: that has calmed my nerves a lot

My friend had hers on at the same place and they were very quick so let's hope it doesn't take forever with me :lol:
Reply 7
Well I need 4 teeth taking out to get them :frown: 😂
Original post by RyanC_

Are you going to be asleep to get them out?
Reply 9
Original post by Hazelly
Are you going to be asleep to get them out?

Not sure, I have to go back in March for moulds and pics and then they're gonna ask my dentist to do the pulling out. I'm usually ok with this stuff so I think I'll stay awake

we just did X-rays and talked today :smile:
Original post by RyanC_
Not sure, I have to go back in March for moulds and pics and then they're gonna ask my dentist to do the pulling out. I'm usually ok with this stuff so I think I'll stay awake

we just did X-rays and talked today :smile:

Fair enough :smile:
Original post by RyanC_

you might get them out in 2 lots (2 different dates to get 2 teeth out each time)
i think you’ll probably get the choice about what you want to do in terms of when you get them out :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by laurawatt
you might get them out in 2 lots (2 different dates to get 2 teeth out each time)
i think you’ll probably get the choice about what you want to do in terms of when you get them out :smile:

I hope so! He said one from each corner at the back of my mouth so I won't be able to eat if they all go at once :lol:

I booked another appointment on the 4th March for pics and moulds and then he said we will work out what to do about the removal of my teeth :frown: 😂
Reply 13
Original post by RyanC_

XRay, might remove teeth if they need to, mould
Reply 14

I got all 4 out on the same day, I wasn’t asleep aswell.
Original post by b1nary

wow, that must have hurt afterwards!
Reply 16
Original post by b1nary

Jesus

I got 4 of mine out as well but was put too sleep! :yep:
Reply 17
I hope I don't get all 4 of mine taken out on the same day - how are you meant to eat?
Reply 18
wow, that must have hurt afterwards!

It didn’t really hurt, only the 8 injections they gave to numb those areas
Reply 19
Original post by .N.A.
Jesus

I got 4 of mine out as well but was put too sleep! :yep:

Aww, hope it didn’t hurt that much

Quick Reply

Latest