The Student Room Group

Plymouth A100 2020 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jegani
Awww that’s very sweet of you! Thank you! The lady who spoke to me on the phone said that it’s pretty much going to be like the open day, (I’ve been to one last year), so I’m good thank you. Oooo I just thought of something, but I feel like I’ve read the answer to my question somewhere on this thread, but are we going to be based mainly in the main campus or like the John Bull building?

ahah no worries i’ll double check because i was wondering the same thing :smile: are you sure there’s nothing about accommodation I can find out for you?

If you think of anything just lemme know xD
Reply 81
Original post by EJRT2001
Has everyone received their interview score by email ?

nope :frown: Is there a way we can get it
Original post by ImaanB
nope :frown: Is there a way we can get it

You can call or email the medicine admissions team and they should be happy to tell you.
For people booking accommodation privately at Astor house, which contract length did you choose? 41 weeks or 51 weeks? and out of curiosity what room/studio did you pick? x
Reply 84
Original post by Mayomikun123
For people booking accommodation privately at Astor house, which contract length did you choose? 41 weeks or 51 weeks? and out of curiosity what room/studio did you pick? x

I was wondering this as well
So my accommodation contract is 44 weeks, but they said that I can add extra weeks on, and that means I’m not paying for weeks that I’m not there. Not sure if it’s the same as Astor though, but mine is also private :smile:

are you thinking abt astor house also? how come not any of the other ones on main campus out of interest :smile:
Original post by catrinrees01
So my accommodation contract is 44 weeks, but they said that I can add extra weeks on, and that means I’m not paying for weeks that I’m not there. Not sure if it’s the same as Astor though, but mine is also private :smile:

Oh okay, thank you x
Original post by iamthestudent
are you thinking abt astor house also? how come not any of the other ones on main campus out of interest :smile:

I loved how modern it looked and the extra facilities within the block (like the study area, lounge, games room, cinema room etc) and I also am not a big fan of the idea of being in uni accommodation for year then having to find new accommodation all over again afterwards. At least with Astor you can just rebook for the following year, but I need to do slightly more research though. I want an ensuite too and at the uni the rooms I would like are £30-£50 more expensive. What accommodation are you thinking of? x
I loved how modern it looked and the extra facilities within the block (like the study area, lounge, games room, cinema room etc) and I also am not a big fan of the idea of being in uni accommodation for year then having to find new accommodation all over again afterwards. At least with Astor you can just rebook for the following year, but I need to do slightly more research though. I want an ensuite too and at the uni the rooms I would like are £30-£50 more expensive. What accommodation are you thinking of? x

I agree Astor House seems amazing and the price is unbeatable! I really wanted to see it when I went for the offer holder day but didn’t have the chance. My only concern was that I might be missing out meeting people if i’m off the campus because I know that the main campus accommodation has something called Residential Life or something like that. This does events for the students in these halls.

In terms of the main campus ones I liked Francis Drake and the Mary one the best but defo en-suite is the way😂
Reply 90
I agree Astor House seems amazing and the price is unbeatable! I really wanted to see it when I went for the offer holder day but didn’t have the chance. My only concern was that I might be missing out meeting people if i’m off the campus because I know that the main campus accommodation has something called Residential Life or something like that. This does events for the students in these halls.

In terms of the main campus ones I liked Francis Drake and the Mary one the best but defo en-suite is the way😂

My son is currently in Astor House. It used to be available thru the uni accommodation, but not since last year. It definitely has great facilities and looked clean and modern (and indeed it is). He has a room with en suite. it has a double bed. It is one of five rooms in the 'flat'. This also includes a communal kitchen area - fairly good size. Two flats each floor. Lots of medics. He is one of 3 (of five) in his 'flat' and the flat downstairs is almost all medics. It's only a 12 min walk from the campus and is well sited for shops (Tesco Express on the corner - for emergencies), Barbican, restaurants and bars, and the Hoe is virtually on the doorstep. Nobody feels left out here. Lots of socials and everyone knows about them thru social media. Med Soc organises many of them anyway. You can stay on in Astor if you want, but most will find their 'tribe' (medics and non-medics) soon enough and get together to share a house from 2nd year onwards. In fact, most get 2nd year accommodation sorted by end of first term. In terms of length of stay, you will need to book one week longer than the standard contract, as you will be starting one week earlier than the rest of the university courses (with dentists and international students). You secure the room with a £250 deposit. There are 3 instalments spread over the year after that. They may also offer you a £200 cash back after your first two weeks (ask for it when you confirm). It was definitely on offer last year.
Reply 91
Original post by talus1
My son is currently in Astor House. It used to be available thru the uni accommodation, but not since last year. It definitely has great facilities and looked clean and modern (and indeed it is). He has a room with en suite. it has a double bed. It is one of five rooms in the 'flat'. This also includes a communal kitchen area - fairly good size. Two flats each floor. Lots of medics. He is one of 3 (of five) in his 'flat' and the flat downstairs is almost all medics. It's only a 12 min walk from the campus and is well sited for shops (Tesco Express on the corner - for emergencies), Barbican, restaurants and bars, and the Hoe is virtually on the doorstep. Nobody feels left out here. Lots of socials and everyone knows about them thru social media. Med Soc organises many of them anyway. You can stay on in Astor if you want, but most will find their 'tribe' (medics and non-medics) soon enough and get together to share a house from 2nd year onwards. In fact, most get 2nd year accommodation sorted by end of first term. In terms of length of stay, you will need to book one week longer than the standard contract, as you will be starting one week earlier than the rest of the university courses (with dentists and international students). You secure the room with a £250 deposit. There are 3 instalments spread over the year after that. They may also offer you a £200 cash back after your first two weeks (ask for it when you confirm). It was definitely on offer last year.

When I looked at Astor the only options were a 41 week contract and a 51 week contract so does that mean since we need the extra week that we would need to go with the 51 week?
Original post by talus1

wow that was really informative thank you so much :smile: now i just hope my other two unis get back to me quickly so i can start choosing my accommodation

But I do feel like quite a few students will choose Astor, especially since I only found out about it from people discussing it in TSR😂 I’m sure there will be ways of meeting people anyways and the price just seems too good to pass up on😂 I liked pilgrim, Radnor and Mary but pilgrim the best because it was recently refurbished so it looks nice lol x
But I do feel like quite a few students will choose Astor, especially since I only found out about it from people discussing it in TSR😂 I’m sure there will be ways of meeting people anyways and the price just seems too good to pass up on😂 I liked pilgrim, Radnor and Mary but pilgrim the best because it was recently refurbished so it looks nice lol x

Do most med students go to private then or are the distributed all over ?

Ye that’s true I just hope not all the students are med ones though cause I want a good mix of people from all walks of life 😂🤷🏻*♂️
Original post by EJRT2001
Do most med students go to private then or are the distributed all over ?

I’m not sure but I think this accommodation is just really popular because of how nice and cheap it is x
Ye that’s true I just hope not all the students are med ones though cause I want a good mix of people from all walks of life 😂🤷🏻*♂️

😂 fair point, there will probably be opportunities at events the uni holds and the flats seem to have a mixture of people from reviews and videos I’ve seen x
Reply 98

Definitely a good mix of students in Astor.
Original post by talus1
Definitely a good mix of students in Astor.

are you there now??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending