The Student Room Group

Not want to marry you?

You and your partner sit down to have a serious conversation about where your relationship is going and you realize they don't want to ever get married. Would you end the relationship?
Might do.
Nope, cause I also never want to get married... but wait I don't even have a partner to begin with 😅
Original post by kostiksafiu
You and your partner sit down to have a serious conversation about where your relationship is going and you realize they don't want to ever get married. Would you end the relationship?

no. Marriage for me is not important. I don't see any differences between a marriage and a relationship. Is the same thing, the only difference is the ring. You can still move together even if you are not married.
obviously. I'm not going to waste their time.
Before entering relationships, it’s a good idea to have in mind your limits and things you might be lenient on in the long term, such as marriage, kids, or even pets. If marriage is an absolute must, maybe try and question them about why. Is is because a wedding is expensive? You don’t want the pressure of being a wife/husband?
If after that they don’t want to get married, then it’s clearly not meant to be.
The only reason I want to get married is for financial reasons - marriage is a business!
Reply 6
Original post by Leviathan1611
obviously. I'm not going to waste their time.

Is marriage really that important when you're in a relationship? Even if you both love each other and growing together?
Reply 7
Original post by Bluerainy
Nope, cause I also never want to get married... but wait I don't even have a partner to begin with 😅

Cool. Then you still have to wait for that person in order to decide. :tongue:
It depends on what your goals are. If you like the stability, tax benefits, and institution of marriage and that is important for you if you are going to have a life partner, then yeah, you might want to separate. However, if marriage isn't that important to you, or if you think that it might just be an age related fear for your partner at the moment, then maybe don't base your current decision on whether to stay with them on a future decision. It's a tough one, because some people do age and decide marriage and kids are for them and others stay strong in their convictions and know those things aren't their cup of tea. A strong life partner should line up with your big ideals though.
Reply 9
Original post by emily_000
no. Marriage for me is not important. I don't see any differences between a marriage and a relationship. Is the same thing, the only difference is the ring. You can still move together even if you are not married.

Yeah, I thought so too. :smile:
Is marriage really that important when you're in a relationship? Even if you both love each other and growing together?

yeah, I'm Christian so there's only so much you can do as an unmarried couple. marriage is supposed to be the next step, so if I don't want to marry them for whatever reason, I would just end the relationship, because it's a waste of both of our time.
Yeah, I thought so too. :smile:

do you want children? if so ask him if he wants children. (is more important that marriage) You can have children without getting married. Nothing wrong with it.
Original post by Leviathan1611
yeah, I'm Christian so there's only so much you can do as an unmarried couple. marriage is supposed to be the next step, so if I don't want to marry them for whatever reason, I would just end the relationship, because it's a waste of both of our time.

I got your point and certainly respects your point of view in life. :smile:
Yes.

In fact I've ended multiple relationships over disagreements regarding marriage and children.
No.
There are alternatives to marriage that would accommodate the wishes of someone who has militant atheist, feminist or other dogmatic objections to marriage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending