The Student Room Group

how to put this sentence in simpler words

"Some key features of effective partnership working is partners consult on a shared vision to underpin their work at an operational and strategic level"

i'm revising for my exam and i don't think i'll remember it with these words. like consult and underpin. i don't understand what it means

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PatriciaBright
"Some key features of effective partnership working is partners consult on a shared vision to underpin their work at an operational and strategic level"

i'm revising for my exam and i don't think i'll remember it with these words. like consult and underpin. i don't understand what it means

Hello again :smile:

Eurgh, what a disgusting sentence. It should be taken out into the streets and beaten.

How about: "An effective way of working in a team is when all team members are signed up to the same goals and work together to achieve them"

It says the same thing, without all the silly managerial-ese words.
Original post by Reality Check

Eurgh, what a disgusting sentence. It should be taken out into the streets and beaten.

How about: "An effective way of working in a team is when all team members are signed up to the same goals and work together to achieve them"

Hi, great to see you again:smile:

Exactly. All these fancy words.

how about this one? there's a few more if you dont mind.

Partnerships have structure and governance arrangements that set out the purpose and principles of working collaboration

Partnerships have structure and governance arrangements that set out the purpose and principles of working collaboration

Yes, that's fine. Just post them here. What's the subject, by the way? I thought you did Healthcare? It would help with the 'translation' to know what area we're talking about (this sounds quite business studies/law)

Translation:

"A 'partnership' is a formal structure with clear rules as to how each partner will work together with the others:
Yes, that's fine. Just post them here. What's the subject, by the way? I thought you did Healthcare? It would help with the 'translation' to know what area we're talking about (this sounds quite business studies/law)

It is health and social care. But there's partnership in health and social care too. like social workers and nurses working together.
It is health and social care. But there's partnership in health and social care too. like social workers and nurses working together.

Ah right. A 'partnership' is a formal type of business structure you see, that's why I"m asking.

Take out the word 'formal' in the previous 'translation' and that works still.

Thanks Reality for keeping it real yet again...
Original post by Oxford Mum
Thanks Reality for keeping it real yet again...

:hat2: Thank you - I do try.

How about @NHSFan
Ah right. A 'partnership' is a formal type of business structure you see, that's why I"m asking.

Take out the word 'formal' in the previous 'translation' and that works still.

I know. It looks to bussinessy.

What about this one?

An effective way for working in a team is communication strategies enable staff understanding and embrace a common working language for effective dissemination, ensuring practices are understood.
How about @NHSFan

I'm fine with Reality check but thanks
Everyone is fine with reality check

I wanted to call nhs fan as she recruits doctors and nurses but I haven’t posted with her for ages and wondered how she was
Everyone is fine with reality check

I think the ISOC-ers and associated hangers-on might disagree with that :laugh:

I know. It looks to bussinessy.

What about this one?

An effective way for working in a team is communication strategies enable staff understanding and embrace a common working language for effective dissemination, ensuring practices are understood.

Where are all these terrible sentences coming from?! Don't tell me it's a textbook, surely?

Anyway... how about:

"When working in a team it's important that everyone communicates in a way that allows all team members to understand what is being discussed and what is required"
Where are all these terrible sentences coming from?! Don't tell me it's a textbook, surely?

Anyway... how about:

"When working in a team it's important that everyone communicates in a way that allows all team members to understand what is being discussed and what is required"

lol no, it's an online material from my college. then i asked my tutor and she provided me with an even complicated answer!

the question is identify the key features of effective working. so is that sentence still good for it?
lol no, it's an online material from my college. then i asked my tutor and she provided me with an even complicated answer!

the question is identify the key features of effective working. so is that sentence still good for it?

Oh, crikey!

Yes, it's good for it. Essentially, all those words are just saying that if you work in a team (particularly a MDT where there might be people of very differing education levels) all members need to ensure that the language they use and method of communicating with each other allows everyone to fully understand what's going on. An example of where this can go wrong is where you have two consultants on the team using a load of medical acronyms and abbreviations which make sense to them, but not to anyone else on the team.

The irony of these sentences all being about 'effective communication' when they're written in this opaque, unnecessary language is hilarious! You should point this out to your tutor.

Any more you want translating?
Oh, crikey!

Yes, it's good for it. Essentially, all those words are just saying that if you work in a team (particularly a MDT where there might be people of very differing education levels) all members need to ensure that the language they use and method of communicating with each other allows everyone to fully understand what's going on. An example of where this can go wrong is where you have two consultants on the team using a load of medical acronyms and abbreviations which make sense to them, but not to anyone else on the team.

The irony of these sentences all being about 'effective communication' when they're written in this opaque, unnecessary language is hilarious! You should point this out to your tutor.

Any more you want translating?

Oh, i understand finally. thank you again.

YES! I have pointed it out to my teacher but she keeps dodging the question.

And this?

Managers have strategies to sustain and augment trust, respect and support between partners, backed up by procedures and practices.
Oh, i understand finally. thank you again.

YES! I have pointed it out to my teacher but she keeps dodging the question.

And this?

Managers have strategies to sustain and augment trust, respect and support between partners, backed up by procedures and practices.

Great :smile:

That sentence essentially says that managers manage things! More concretely, a manager knows how to ensure interpersonal relationships between members of the team are harmonious, and work well. A manager will also have specific procedures which he or she will follow if things go wrong. So a good manager will know how to make sure all team members feel valued and respected, have their voice heard and can ask for support when needed. A manager will also have a defined process to follow when his/her staff have a problem, either individually or with another member of the team.
Unfortunately these convoluted sentences are enough to put students off their studies

Haven’t they heard of the plain English campaign?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending