The Student Room Group

Getting a PC

Hi, i've never owned a decent PC before and i am planning to buy a gaming PC. Im just wondering if there are any reputable websites or shops where i could get a good pc worth the price.
I dont care too much about the looks and the lights.

I am open to hearing about your suggestions of PC i should get if you know any good ones.

I have a current budget of £500 for the pc, exc the keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. (it would be cool if they are included, but in know thats prob unlikely)

the cheaper the better tbh, but it should be able to run games 60fps+.
Im mainly gonna be playing games like overwatch or gta.

Scroll to see replies

I think the best place is amazon.com to buy any kind of electronic device especially as you are looking for a gaming computer.
Make sure if you go on somewhere like Amazon or eBay that you look into the seller of the PC you may end up choosing.
Make sure the seller is approved by Amazon or eBay themselves.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Charlie....
Make sure if you go on somewhere like Amazon or eBay that you look into the seller of the PC you may end up choosing.
Make sure the seller is approved by Amazon or eBay themselves.

yeah that's right because there is many cases where the customer has placed the order and didnt checked whether the seller is approved or not and the customer end up with the delivery of some defective product's so always make sure that the seller is approved by Amazon or eBay themselves.
Reply 4
Original post by inconanon
Hi, i've never owned a decent PC before and i am planning to buy a gaming PC. Im just wondering if there are any reputable websites or shops where i could get a good pc worth the price.

I am open to hearing about your suggestions of PC i should get if you know any good ones.

I have a current budget of £500 for the pc, exc the keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. (it would be cool if they are included, but in know thats prob unlikely)

Does it matter if its AMD or Intel?
Reply 5
Original post by papie
Does it matter if its AMD or Intel?

Go with AMD. Much better bang for your buck. (more cores/threads compared to equally priced Intel CPUs. They do however lack single core performance but not by very much)

Are you open to the idea of building one yourself?
Reply 7
overclockers have some good bundles of mobos, CPUs and RAM.

as per normal you will learn a lot more if you assemble one yourself. It is straightforward.

Lots of builds on pc partpicker, but at the moment I would pick the parts and make sure your system had some upgradeability so you can upgrade at a later date to keep it going.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF/ 2600/ 2600X (of same price) 3600 are the value ones ranging from about £100-150.
16GB memory DDR4 3200- About £60.
Motherboard AM4 B450- Tomahawk MSI is the favourite about £90.
SSD 240gb/512gb up any Samsung or Crucial Mx500 or lots of sata bargains Prices are from about £35 240gb -£110 for 1tb
HDD 1tb are about £35 v about 75 for 4tb. Slow but cheap storage.
You would need a power supply.
Then the biggie is which graphics card as you are pushed for money then there are loads of RX570 and 580 or 1060 last generation second hand cards on ebay for less than £100. Next step up are things like 1660 super £200 and then 2060/ 5600xt £250-300, then 2070 and 5700XT.c £400.

Learn the parts what each one does and which offers best value then you will know what you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E24bn5G6t5Q

Learn and then save your money.

Alternatively AWD-IT have pretty good value for money pcs, but imo you learn more and get a better pc by assembling your own.
This is pretty good and about the right balance.

Id probably change a few things.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ryzen-1600-af-confirmed-rtx-2060-16gb-3200mhz-ram-629-from-ccl-3408641
Can someone suggest me which computer to buy as I only have to use it for my studies and as well as for personal use ?

<£500 and able to run gta at 60fps+ not going to be possible unless you are like really geeky and know everything about computers to make pc form cheap components and make it run that fast.
Reply 12
I found a PC online with these specs. about 500 including windows 10 home plus. (The Novatech Core Ember). would this be worth the price, anything you would change?

PROCESSOR
Description :
3rd Gen AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7Ghz Quad-Core Processor

Clockspeed :
3.7GHz / 4.2GHz Turbo
No. of Cores :

MEMORY
Description :
2 X 4GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory

HARDDRIVE
Description :
240GB SSD

Description :
1TB 3.5" SATA Hard Drive

Interface :
SATA

POWER SUPPLY
Description :
400Watt Power Supply

MOTHERBOARD
Description :
Gigabyte A320M-H Motherboard

Form Factor :
Micro ATX Form Factor; 24.4cm x 19.5cm

CPU Support :
AMD Ryzen processor, AMD 7th Generation A-series/ Athlon processor

Chipset :
AMD A320

Audio :
High Definition Audio

IO :
1 x PS/2 keyboard port, 1 x PS/2 mouse port, 1 x DVI-D port, 1 x HDMI port, 4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports, 1 x RJ-45 port, 3 x audio jacks (Line In, Line Out, Mic In)

LAN :
Realtek GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)

USB :
4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports

RAID :
RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 10

SATA Ports :
4 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors, 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2* SSD support)

PCI :
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16), 2 x PCI Express x1 slots

Memory Slots :
2 x DDR4 DIMM sockets

Max Memory Capacity :
32GB

OS Compliance :
Windows 10 64-bit

WIRELESS CARD
Description :
300Mbps 802.11n Wireless-N PCIe Adapter

P.S. i have looked into building my own pc but i currently dont have the funds and majority of pre builts provide the option of payment plans.
I found a PC online with these specs. about 500 including windows 10 home plus. (The Novatech Core Ember). would this be worth the price, anything you would change?

PROCESSOR
Description :
3rd Gen AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7Ghz Quad-Core Processor

Clockspeed :
3.7GHz / 4.2GHz Turbo
No. of Cores :

MEMORY
Description :
2 X 4GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory

HARDDRIVE
Description :
240GB SSD

Description :
1TB 3.5" SATA Hard Drive

Interface :
SATA

POWER SUPPLY
Description :
400Watt Power Supply

MOTHERBOARD
Description :
Gigabyte A320M-H Motherboard

Form Factor :
Micro ATX Form Factor; 24.4cm x 19.5cm

CPU Support :
AMD Ryzen processor, AMD 7th Generation A-series/ Athlon processor

Chipset :
AMD A320

Audio :
High Definition Audio

IO :
1 x PS/2 keyboard port, 1 x PS/2 mouse port, 1 x DVI-D port, 1 x HDMI port, 4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports, 1 x RJ-45 port, 3 x audio jacks (Line In, Line Out, Mic In)

LAN :
Realtek GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)

USB :
4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, 2 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports

RAID :
RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 10

SATA Ports :
4 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors, 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2* SSD support)

PCI :
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16), 2 x PCI Express x1 slots

Memory Slots :
2 x DDR4 DIMM sockets

Max Memory Capacity :
32GB

OS Compliance :
Windows 10 64-bit

WIRELESS CARD
Description :
300Mbps 802.11n Wireless-N PCIe Adapter

P.S. i have looked into building my own pc but i currently dont have the funds and majority of pre builts provide the option of payment plans.

No dedicated graphics lol
Reply 14
Original post by kanako231
No dedicated graphics lol

Whoops, lol. The website just states it as Radeon vega RX graphics
Reply 15
I was over £700 not including the peripherals and I built it with help. You won't get a decent thing for £500 as far as I'm aware.
Original post by Bio 7
I was over £700 not including the peripherals and I built it with help. You won't get a decent thing for £500 as far as I'm aware.

You definitely can. Its not gonna be high end but will still be more powerful and useful than a console.
If you want games today and in the near future (Cyberpunk, GTA VI, maybe even Star Citizen) to be playing at 60 fps in regular 1080 HD (never mind 4K), you're gonna need a lot more than £500 if you're buying a 'gaming PC'.

That's the sort of budget I'd use for building one yourself.

Ideally you gotta learn about PCs before dropping loads of money on one, because a lot of that money will get wasted with silly mistakes (like having no good graphics card). Especially if it's your first one and you know little or nothing about PCs and their parts.
Which one I should buy in terms of graphic and processor the computer which has an Intel processor or the one which has an AMD processor?
https://pcpartpicker.com/

this is one of the better tools out there.
just add the parts you want, check price, notes, power draw. add monitors... whatever you need.

Quick Reply

Latest