The Student Room Group

Can i become a aerospace engineer without physics ?

i want to become an aerospace engineer but physics isnt my strong suit im good at maths and design tech and will be choosing them for a level and wanted to know if physics is needed ?

any help is appreciated
Original post by .E.K.
i want to become an aerospace engineer but physics isnt my strong suit im good at maths and design tech and will be choosing them for a level and wanted to know if physics is needed ?

any help is appreciated

You probably will be able to but your options will be limited without it. I suggest looking at the various universities to see their entry requirement. Swansea have a requirement of Maths and one of Physics, Further Maths etc.
Reply 2
If you are strong at maths physics A level should be fine - be cautious about ruling out subjects and careers with only a limited experience of them at GCSE. You'll have a tougher time getting into a good course (and of course coping with the course when there) without physics. Plus, if you don't like physics is Aero really the right subject for you?
Original post by .E.K.

any help is appreciated

You typically need physics for entry to aero/EE/mech engineering degrees, and you typically need one of those degrees to work in aerospace engineering. You can check university entry requires though to see if any will let you in without physics.
You will have more choices if you take Physics A level but some unis will accept Maths and one other science subject. At Liverpool uni, for example, they count acceptable science subjects as Biology, Chemistry, Computing, Economics, Electronics, Environmental Science, Further Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Human Biology, Physics and Statistics.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/aerospace-engineering-beng-hons/entry-requirements/
HiI’m currently an a level student who also wants to study aerospace engineering. you NEED PHYSICS to study this at any university who offers this course.
Original post by Chicnugget07
HiI’m currently an a level student who also wants to study aerospace engineering. you NEED PHYSICS to study this at any university who offers this course.

Except at Liverpool (see link in harrysbar's post above)? Unless your Maths A level is the old modular one and you haven't taken a Mechanics module.

Since the change in the A level syllabus, it isn't possible to avoid Mechanics and obviously Liverpool takes this into account.
Original post by Isinglass
Except at Liverpool (see link in harrysbar's post above)? Unless your Maths A level is the old modular one and you haven't taken a Mechanics module.

Since the change in the A level syllabus, it isn't possible to avoid Mechanics and obviously Liverpool takes this into account.

It's not even just Liverpool - several others too such as Swansea as already mentioned by @swansea jack 1

Taken from Swansea's website:
The entry requirements for the BEng Aerospace Engineering course are:
ABB-BBB at A level (including Mathematics).

Other recommended subjects include:
Physics
Further Mathematics
Chemistry
Design Technology
IT/Computing
Biology

https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/engineering/aerospace-engineering/beng-aerospace-engineering-h400/
There are many "aerospace engineering with foundation" type degree courses (e.g. at Southampton) where they will accept students who didn't take A-level Physics for a preliminary year 0 where you'll cover that content before joining the main degree course. Some other courses might just develop that content on the main degree programme.

However, you may want to think carefully about whether aerospace engineering, or indeed engineering at all, is for you if you struggle with physics and/or dislike it. Aerospace engineering will necessarily involve a great deal of mechanics, thermal physics, and usually at least some and sometimes a fair bit of electronics and materials content. You need to be realistic and choose a degree programme based on what you actually are good at and enjoy doing, rather than trying to force a square peg into a round hole.
Bristol accept candidates without Physics but if your not taking Physics you might be best advised to take Further Maths or Chemistry as well as DT
A*AA including A*A (in any order) in Mathematics and any one of Physics, Chemistry, Further Mathematics or Computer Science

Sheffield require a second science
AAB including Mathematics and a science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending