The Student Room Group

Dating in London as a multiracial woman?

I'm not from the UK, but come from Afro/European parents (hence the multiracial in the heading) and where I've grown up it's pretty common to be with a black man or a mixed race black man. However, I'm attending a top school in London this year and I guess I really want to try dating different races outside of what I've seen to get a new experience almost.

I've never lived in London and so I don't know what the dating scene is there and while I'm really confident with my personality and I describe myself as good-looking, I'm excited to put myself out there and I'm pretty open to dating white men, asian men, and other ethnicities that are vaguely different to the type of guys my friends go for (I have both white and black friends and we've only ever really had dating experiences with black guys).

Essentially, my question is: Will it be hard to find someone to date outside my race in London but also specifically in uni (I'm definitely not restricting myself to dating uni students because maturity is also a big factor for me)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm not from the UK, but come from Afro/European parents (hence the multiracial in the heading) and where I've grown up it's pretty common to be with a black man or a mixed race black man. However, I'm attending a top school in London this year and I guess I really want to try dating different races outside of what I've seen to get a new experience almost.

I've never lived in London and so I don't know what the dating scene is there and while I'm really confident with my personality and I describe myself as good-looking, I'm excited to put myself out there and I'm pretty open to dating white men, asian men, and other ethnicities that are vaguely different to the type of guys my friends go for (I have both white and black friends and we've only ever really had dating experiences with black guys).

Essentially, my question is: Will it be hard to find someone to date outside my race in London but also specifically in uni (I'm definitely not restricting myself to dating uni students because maturity is also a big factor for me)?

It will not be hard.
I know several people who are dating someone who would describe themselves as of a different race/heritage. I live in north London as my name suggests.
Reply 3
Original post by barnetlad
I know several people who are dating someone who would describe themselves as of a different race/heritage. I live in north London as my name suggests.

Even given that I'm not British? I guess cuz most people in my country tend to date people of the same nationality albeit different race so I wonder if the fact that I'm not British/don't have a British accent will make it harder? Strangely enough, I've attended an international school my whole life so when I speak English my accent is more American than anything
Reply 4

Watch Love Island..

the black women are typically shunned by non black men.

Not saying that it will impossible for you or anything like that, but it will definately be noticeably harder than if you were white
Original post by ANM775
Watch Love Island..

the black women are typically shunned by non black men.

Not saying that it will impossible for you or anything like that, but it will definately be noticeably harder than if you were white

The OP is mixed race, not black.

From what I've seen, mixed race girls tend to have an easier time dating other races (compared to black girls, generally).. Seeing as you've mentioned Love Island, Sophie was coupled up with a white guy as was last years winner Amber.
Reply 6
Original post by Old Skool Freak
The OP is mixed race, not black.

From what I've seen, mixed race girls tend to have an easier time dating other races (compared to black girls, generally).. Seeing as you've mentioned Love Island, Sophie was coupled up with a white guy as was last years winner Amber.

But then I guess Sophie and Amber were both British, whereas I'm not and I'm not sure how big of a factor that could be...
But then I guess Sophie and Amber were both British, whereas I'm not and I'm not sure how big of a factor that could be...

It almost certainly won't be an issue if you're moving to London (or any city / large town for that matter).

In fact, it may even work in your favour. Foreign accents have a hint of exotica about them, and can give you a Unique Selling Point.

You don't have to be British, but as long as you're "westernised", I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't have any issues.
Reply 8
It almost certainly won't be an issue if you're moving to London (or any city / large town for that matter).

In fact, it may even work in your favour. Foreign accents have a hint of exotica about them, and can give you a Unique Selling Point.

You don't have to be British, but as long as you're "westernised", I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't have any issues.

Unique selling point hahahahaha I'm actually Portuguese so not sure how exotic that is but this definitely makes me feel less apprehensive. I'm a really social person so for me it's crucial to have a good social life and so the fact that I had no real insight was daunting

You are good looking, you go to a top London school. You will be classy, widely read and maybe cultured too. This will make you attractive to most discerning men. And there are plenty of men in London. I live in a small village, so the chances of meeting men are much smaller!

But don't limit yourself to men on dating sites. There are plenty of nice men at uni, so don't rule them out.

Frankly, the men I speak to on the internet are pretty dodgy, and are single for a reason. The uni students are single because they have been focussing on their studies and are now ready to meet new people. They may well be keen to date a nice girl like you,.
Reply 10
Original post by Oxford Mum
You are good looking, you go to a top London school. You will be classy, widely read and maybe cultured too. This will make you attractive to most discerning men. And there are plenty of men in London. I live in a small village, so the chances of meeting men are much smaller!

But don't limit yourself to men on dating sites. There are plenty of nice men at uni, so don't rule them out.

Frankly, the men I speak to on the internet are pretty dodgy, and are single for a reason. The uni students are single because they have been focussing on their studies and are now ready to meet new people. They may well be keen to date a nice girl like you,.

Just realised she was mixed race instead of black, so I would agree with Old school freak that she stands a better chance than a black woman.

However, we don't know if she's good looking.. and even if she is ...it doesn't matter as much as people think [I again refer to the "good looking" black girls on Love Island being shunned by non black men]

Where you go to school matters little to men. Maybe it does for women, but for most guys ... where a girl goes to school doesn't even come into the decision process of weather or not to date her. I'm not going to go gaga over some girl who goes to Oxford If I don't find her significantly attractive, and that's the same for most men.
Original post by ANM775
Just realised she was mixed race instead of black, so I would agree with Old school freak that she stands a better chance than a black woman.

However, we don't know if she's good looking.. and even if she is ...it doesn't matter as much as people think [I again refer to the "good looking" black girls on Love Island being shunned by non black men]

Where you go to school matters little to men. Maybe it does for women, but for most guys ... where a girl goes to school doesn't even come into the decision process of weather or not to date her. I'm not going to go gaga over some girl who goes to Oxford If I don't find her significantly attractive, and that's the same for most men.

This is true, I am afraid for most men it's all about the looks. But a discerning man will want to have scintillating conversation with a woman after they have got out of bed.

Thank you! Your advice is extremely helpful!
Original post by ANM775

Do people in the UK have that distinction of mixed race and black? This is actually quite interesting because in my culture there are three "categories" for black women 'mulata' which is a very light-skinned black woman that has typically one white parent or two mixed parents, 'morena' which is a light-skinned black woman typically "caramel" with curls, and then 'negra' which is a dark-skinned black woman. However, I've never understood why so many classifications and even though I tend to fall between mulata and morena I just use the umbrella term "black" to describe myself.
Original post by ANM775

However, we don't know if she's good looking.. and even if she is ...it doesn't matter as much as people think

It's a shame that's how it generally is.. but some people can never see past colour.

I'll never forget that girl from Uni I really fancied who said to me, and I quote "You know, I think you'd be incredibly good looking... if you were white"

Not sure if that's the best, or worst thing someone has ever said to me. :laugh:

This is true, I am afraid for most men it's all about the looks. But a discerning man will want to have scintillating conversation with a woman after they have got out of bed.

Funny you should say that, it reminds me of a night out I had with a friend of mine.

He managed to pull probably the hottest girl in the club and got her number, and on the way out, whilst walking through the car park, we heard some noises... so we walked up and found her being pounded on the bonnet by some guy of an old Ford Focus. She looked at us, my mate sort of shrugged his shoulders and threw what looked like a post-it note away and said "Guess I'm not going to be needing that now am I". I was like, "Are you mad? Have you seen how fit she is?". He just calmly said, Mate, these days it's not just about looks, you've got to have a bit of class about you as well. And I'm sorry, a classy bird does not get pounded on the bonnet of an old banger, by the local ape man"
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
Do people in the UK have that distinction of mixed race and black? This is actually quite interesting because in my culture there are three "categories" for black women 'mulata' which is a very light-skinned black woman that has typically one white parent or two mixed parents, 'morena' which is a light-skinned black woman typically "caramel" with curls, and then 'negra' which is a dark-skinned black woman. However, I've never understood why so many classifications and even though I tend to fall between mulata and morena I just use the umbrella term "black" to describe myself.

I think most people distinguish between black and mixed race, ....and a few might distinguish between dark skin black women and lighter skin black women ... however it tends to be mostly black or urban men who do this. Your typical white guy will probably class a black woman and light skin black woman the same
It's a shame that's how it generally is.. but some people can never see past colour.

I'll never forget that girl from Uni I really fancied who said to me, and I quote "You know, I think you'd be incredibly good looking... if you were white"

Not sure if that's the best, or worst thing someone has ever said to me. :laugh:

Funny you should say that, it reminds me of a night out I had with a friend of mine.

He managed to pull probably the hottest girl in the club and got her number, and on the way out, whilst walking through the car park, we heard some noises... so we walked up and found her being pounded on the bonnet by some guy of an old Ford Focus. She looked at us, my mate sort of shrugged his shoulders and threw what looked like a post-it note away and said "Guess I'm not going to be needing that now am I". I was like, "Are you mad? Have you seen how fit she is?". He just calmly said, Mate, these days it's not just about looks, you've got to have a bit of class about you as well. And I'm sorry, a classy bird does not get pounded on the bonnet of an old banger, by the local ape man"

Are you for real? Some girl actually said that to you??? I am beyond shocked, I can't even formulate how that can leave someone's mouth so casually...
Reply 17
I was like, "Are you mad? Have you seen how fit she is?". He just calmly said, Mate, these days it's not just about looks, you've got to have a bit of class about you as well. And I'm sorry, a classy bird does not get pounded on the bonnet of an old banger, by the local ape man"

Is he mad?
are you mad? lol

You gotta have some self respect. What kind of guy see's a girl he's just number closed get pounded by another dude and then goes and calls her?

would a woman call a guy if the roles were reversed?

I remember once I got a woman number in a club [she approached me], but 5 minutes after we parted I saw her snogging her male friend. I was quite pissed off. Never called the number, and deleted it out of my phone. There's no way in hell I would call a girl If I witnessed her getting pounded by another guy.

tbh in night clubs, unless i've kissed a girl now .. I don't bother taking numbers. They're worthless..., , probably 5 minutes later after you took it she's getting with the another guy who had the balls to actually make a proper move. I learned that lesson after the incident above. If she was kissing that other guy, most likely she would have kissed me [i mean she did approach me], but i didn't have the balls at the time to go in for the kiss so just took the number ....and ended up getting cucked
Are you for real? Some girl actually said that to you??? I am beyond shocked, I can't even formulate how that can leave someone's mouth so casually...

OP you sound like the good sort. You will be fine at uni. Yes, there are pathetic people around, but they form the minority, luckily.
Worked for meghan markle, to say the least lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending