The Student Room Group

Evaluate my EPQ Title (Takes 2 secs)

I'm not sure whether my EPQ title is specific enough and whether it could be improved in any way. The title is:

"Should people escape reality or confront it and what is the best method to so?"

I want my EPQ to be focused on the topic of escapism but I also want to discuss differing philosophical approaches to life.
Any help, opinions and additions are much appreciated.
(edited 4 years ago)
As it is an EPQ, and you are debating a philosophical question, it should be asked like an essay question, so it should have "To what extent" at the beginning.

It could sound like this: to what extent should people escape reality?
Reply 2
Original post by Mobitela
As it is an EPQ, and you are debating a philosophical question, it should be asked like an essay question, so it should have "To what extent" at the beginning.

It could sound like this: to what extent should people escape reality?

Thanks for the reply!
So would something along the lines of; "Why and how far is escapism and its effects embedded in modern society and is it a necessity?", be any good? Personally I think it's too long though. Do you have any idea how I could shorten this but still allow myself to discuss the topic at hand in detail?

Also, as I'm debating a philosophical question can I add my opinion throughout the dissertation or should I only include it in the conclusion?
Any reply is appreciated thanks :h:
Original post by Lawan_S
Thanks for the reply!
So would something along the lines of; "Why and how far is escapism and its effects embedded in modern society and is it a necessity?", be any good? Personally I think it's too long though. Do you have any idea how I could shorten this but still allow myself to discuss the topic at hand in detail?

Also, as I'm debating a philosophical question can I add my opinion throughout the dissertation or should I only include it in the conclusion?
Any reply is appreciated thanks :h:

By the way, I have not done an EPQ: I am helping you through my understanding and knowledge of how general exam questions are shaped and asked, but what I'm saying might not help you.

Firstly, I think you are asking multiple questions here:
- Why is escapism embedded in (our) modern society?
- How far is escapism embedded in (our) modern society?
- Why are the effects of escapism embedded in (our) modern society?
- How far are the effects of escapism embedded in (our) modern society?
- Is escapism a necessity?

In an EPQ, can you ask more than one question?

If you can't, then I would suggest cutting your statement down to: "How far is escapism embedded in (our) modern society?". The other four questions you would still answer, but they would act as unasked essay questions, which would show to the examiner your wider thinking of the topic.
Reply 4
Original post by Mobitela
By the way, I have not done an EPQ: I am helping you through my understanding and knowledge of how general exam questions are shaped and asked, but what I'm saying might not help you.

Firstly, I think you are asking multiple questions here:
- Why is escapism embedded in (our) modern society?
- How far is escapism embedded in (our) modern society?
- Why are the effects of escapism embedded in (our) modern society?
- How far are the effects of escapism embedded in (our) modern society?
- Is escapism a necessity?

In an EPQ, can you ask more than one question?

If you can't, then I would suggest cutting your statement down to: "How far is escapism embedded in (our) modern society?". The other four questions you would still answer, but they would act as unasked essay questions, which would show to the examiner your wider thinking of the topic.

No from my understanding what you've said is perfect!
The essay part of the EPQ is only worth a very small percentage of the marks anyway so going on a slight tangent like that would be fine. I'll still ask my EPQ teacher just in case but your reply is greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much for your help.
Original post by Lawan_S
No from my understanding what you've said is perfect!
The essay part of the EPQ is only worth a very small percentage of the marks anyway so going on a slight tangent like that would be fine. I'll still ask my EPQ teacher just in case but your reply is greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much for your help.

You're welcome 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending