The Student Room Group

Students who did amazing in GCSE'S please read!!!

My question is roughly how many hours did you spend on a single subject.
I need to know because the timetable I currently follow gives important subjects 5 hours a week. So that works out to 55 hours of revision before GCSE'S. I need your opinion if this is enough time to get the top grades for these subjects. Thank you for reading :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Is 8888888766 high? If you know your stuff its enough time to get high grades.
It really depends on how naturally good you are at each subject. For example, I spent virtually no time revising French and got a 9 but spent around 3 hours a week on each science and got the same grades. As you have to study for so many subjects, it’s really about prioritising your time and revising smarter, not longer. Practice tests were what I found most helpful while flash cards didn’t really do anything for me. I wish you the best of luck!!
Original post by sixdifferentways
It really depends on how naturally good you are at each subject. For example, I spent virtually no time revising French and got a 9 but spent around 3 hours a week on each science and got the same grades. As you have to study for somany subjects, it’s really about prioritising your time and revising smarter, not longer. Practice tests were what I found most helpful while flash cards didn’t really do anything for me. I wish you the best of luck!!

Thanks a lot for this advice very helpful
It honestly depends. If you've worked hard in class then you don't need to revise anywhere near as much as some people who suddenly realise its time to work now.

Get yourself on seneca, do a subject per day for 30 mins and you'll revise loads.

Watch a couple of Mr Salles videos a week and make mindmaps for eng.

Revision isn't neccessarily about time spent, revising key things is more important. Don't stress over time you are spending

Organise your revision, use specifications to know you've covered everything.

for ref: 8 9s, 2 8s and an A*
Reply 5
For Science GCSE subjects I'd recommend learning model answers to questions from past papers and mark schemes. Very similar questions seem to come up every year so it's mainly about keeping up the motivation to go back through notes and doing past papers.

For Languages, make Quizlet vocab lists and just refresh your memory a couple times per week, then do past papers.

Shouldn't take more than 2-3 hours per day I think, GCSEs mainly test short-term memorisation. Good luck!

OCR, Edexcel and WJEC Past Papers
AQA Past Papers
CIE Past Papers
Reply 6
Original post by Bashir-GCSE's
My question is roughly how many hours did you spend on a single subject.
I need to know because the timetable I currently follow gives important subjects 5 hours a week. So that works out to 55 hours of revision before GCSE'S. I need your opinion if this is enough time to get the top grades for these subjects. Thank you for reading :smile:

Prioritise your revision based on what you're best at ! I didn't do much for English because that was what I was best at, and I could remember it, but I did loads of maths and chemistry, like five hours every week. It also depends on what you want to study next-- I would put more hours into them just so you feel sure you can study them next year. I got all 8s and 9s, but make sure you keep your levels manageable and don't overwork if you can help it! Good luck :smile:
The number of hours spent revising is useless if you're not revising effectively.

The best thing to do is to do as many past papers as you can, and don't stop until you're consistently getting the grades you want to achieve. Practicing the exams is far better than just learning information - as that's what you're going to have to do on the day, after all!
5 hours a week? You should be doing at least that during the weekends. I’m really not that smart but I got mostly 7s and 8s and managed to pull up my maths grade from a 4 to a 6. You just have to work your ass off if you want high grades. Don’t just study the content, but work on exam technique as well. Do past papers etc etc.

Though obviously this depends on how naturally smart you are or how good your memory is. If you’re one of those big brained people who just flicks though the textbook right before the exam then idk.
I’d say pick subjects to do well in, I did 10 GCSEs and picked 5 to proper focus on and the other 5 I just revised whenever I needed a break from my other revision or right before the mock or actual exam, I picked Physics, biology, chemistry, maths and food (I was getting 5/6s in all of these and Us in physics when I was attempting to revise all 10 subjects )but when I focused on just 5 and was calm about the other 5 I ended up coming out with 9- physics, biology and food 8-chemistry and maths (the ones I focused on) then 7-RE, English language 6-English lit and history and 5-french
make sure you’re doing past papers in timed conditions so you can get used to the layout of the papers you’ll face in the real thing (lifesaver). that way you’ll have more confidence in the real thing due to familiarity.

do the past papers and then mark and figure out what topics are you’re weakest areas, then focus on improving those to a high standard before doing another paper, and repeat.

you can do those pretty much all the important subjects, and with English get your teacher to mark ur papers and write feedback on ur writing technique.

That’s literally all I did and I started around about now

(2 9s, 4 8s, 2 7s 1 A* (further maths), 2 As (Business and Additional Maths) so 7A*s and 5As
I'm in y11 as well (aiming for all nines, and i sat food gcse last year and got a nine)
I honestly think that you shouldn't be measuring your revision in hours, because this isn't a measure of productivity: you'd learn more from ten minutes of flashcards than an hour of reading the textbook. The best way to plan your revision is through tasks and topics, using active recall to test yourself. Quality not quantity- good luck with your revision!
Original post by amybower
I'm in y11 as well (aiming for all nines, and i sat food gcse last year and got a nine)
I honestly think that you shouldn't be measuring your revision in hours, because this isn't a measure of productivity: you'd learn more from ten minutes of flashcards than an hour of reading the textbook. The best way to plan your revision is through tasks and topics, using active recall to test yourself. Quality not quantity- good luck with your revision!

I sat food last year as well! Did you do AQA good?
Original post by Rae5
I sat food last year as well! Did you do AQA good?

yes!
yes!

Same! Did you find some of the questions on the exam really bazaar? Also I did the proteins NEA 1 and the meals for teenagers NEA2. What about you?
Original post by Rae5
Same! Did you find some of the questions on the exam really bazaar? Also I did the proteins NEA 1 and the meals for teenagers NEA2. What about you?

i did the exact same nea 2, but i did the pastry nea 1 :smile: and yes, some of the questions were a bit odd- i remember one about potatoes and another on enzymic browning? but all in all i think the exam was okay
i did the exact same nea 2, but i did the pastry nea 1 :smile: and yes, some of the questions were a bit odd- i remember one about potatoes and another on enzymic browning? but all in all i think the exam was okay

The potato question cracked me up, like I literally thought I was dreaming when that question came up because it was so out of place, and I was the only one in my school who did proteins and my teacher went on about how it’s unnecessarily hard and I’d fail but I ended up getting highest and she ate her words 🤷*♀️
Original post by Rae5
The potato question cracked me up, like I literally thought I was dreaming when that question came up because it was so out of place, and I was the only one in my school who did proteins and my teacher went on about how it’s unnecessarily hard and I’d fail but I ended up getting highest and she ate her words 🤷*♀️

ooh it’s interesting that you had a choice of nea! we were all forced to do pastry aha
ooh it’s interesting that you had a choice of nea! we were all forced to do pastry aha

Wait really? We had a choice for both our NEAs however my teacher was very vocal about her preference (ie the one she thought was “easiest”
Tbh I don’t think 5 hours a week is enough
Maybe after schools from 4:30-7 would be enough
And on weekends I’d do a lot longer but I wish I hadn’t because that burnt me out so just do a few hours in the morning like 9-12 maybe and then in the evening a few hours
But don’t focus on the hours but rather the amount and quality of work you get done

Quick Reply

Latest