The Student Room Group

A discussion about D&D

@NottTheBrave
Are you a D&D fan?

Volunteer Edit: Discussion moved out of a thread about Oxford Archaeology. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MidnightRanger
Are you a D&D fan?

Yeah, Wasn't expecting anyone to recognise it :smile:
Are you?
Original post by NottTheBrave
Yeah, Wasn't expecting anyone to recognise it :smile:
Are you?

Yeah, I DM for family and hopefully some friends soon. I've watched a bit of crit role but I started late and no where near catching up.
Yeah, I DM for family and hopefully some friends soon. I've watched a bit of crit role but I started late and no where near catching up.

I've played and DM-ed with friends for like 4 years. We alternate who DMs every week so we have 3 campaigns going at once. I've also run Call of Cthulhu a couple of times. What sort of things do you DM? Modules or homebrew?
I've played and DM-ed with friends for like 4 years. We alternate who DMs every week so we have 3 campaigns going at once. I've also run Call of Cthulhu a couple of times. What sort of things do you DM? Modules or homebrew?

Wow, I've not played for that long. It's mostly homebrew, I've tried out some module stuff but ended up getting bogged down by the note taking and decided to make up my own stuff. There's kinks but hopefully it'll improve the more I do it. We have a similar alternating system as well especially with exams coming up so I can pawn off DMing onto the younger players who aren't doing A-Levels.
Wow, I've not played for that long. It's mostly homebrew, I've tried out some module stuff but ended up getting bogged down by the note taking and decided to make up my own stuff. There's kinks but hopefully it'll improve the more I do it. We have a similar alternating system as well especially with exams coming up so I can pawn off DMing onto the younger players who aren't doing A-Levels.

My current campaign is homebrew and I started it like 2 years ago but for a year of that it was paused because I ran Tomb of Annihilation as a part of the world. About to do a similar thing with Saltmarsh but properly tie it into my homebrew story more. When I ran ToA i didn't take any notes just read the relevant stuff the day before and sort of winged it for a year :biggrin:
I've been doing some Storm King's Thunder. The first bit I tried to wing and it failed miserably so then but I tried to blitz through the entire module to take notes. Surprisingly that failed and so I think I just need to break it down a bit more. I find that notes help me otherwise I spend half my time trying to find the relevant bits we need.
T

I've been doing some Storm King's Thunder. The first bit I tried to wing and it failed miserably so then but I tried to blitz through the entire module to take notes. Surprisingly that failed and so I think I just need to break it down a bit more. I find that notes help me otherwise I spend half my time trying to find the relevant bits we need.

That's why I prefer homebrewing. It's easier to remember things off the top of your head because you made it all up. I also like to make NPC galleries with pics from Pinterest or elsewhere and it just makes it easier to remember them.
T

That's why I prefer homebrewing. It's easier to remember things off the top of your head because you made it all up. I also like to make NPC galleries with pics from Pinterest or elsewhere and it just makes it easier to remember them.

That's a good idea I might steal that. What classes do you play?
That's a good idea I might steal that. What classes do you play?

Assassin rogue is my favourite. Currently have a Warlock. My longest-running character was a wild magic sorcerer. I've never played bard or wizard because I haven't died enough :biggrin: And haven't played ranger because it sucks. What about you?
Assassin rogue is my favourite. Currently have a Warlock. My longest-running character was a wild magic sorcerer. I've never played bard or wizard because I haven't died enough :biggrin: And haven't played ranger because it sucks. What about you?

Rogues are pretty good but I've only every played as an enemy. I had a gloom stalker ranger for a short time but the campaign died quickly and I played a wizard who multi-classed rogue which was interesting. Longest running I have a Blood Hunter, which I've just reshuffled some stuff for so she's less likely to die. Then I'm starting out with an artificer soon which should be interesting with the flamethrower turrets he can make. Then for a campaign I dm I'm playing the cleric so they don't die because the bard isn't very interested in healing the party. I really want to play a wild magic sorcerer, they look so fun.
Rogues are pretty good but I've only every played as an enemy. I had a gloom stalker ranger for a short time but the campaign died quickly and I played a wizard who multi-classed rogue which was interesting. Longest running I have a Blood Hunter, which I've just reshuffled some stuff for so she's less likely to die. Then I'm starting out with an artificer soon which should be interesting with the flamethrower turrets he can make. Then for a campaign I dm I'm playing the cleric so they don't die because the bard isn't very interested in healing the party. I really want to play a wild magic sorcerer, they look so fun.

I've never used a DM PC. Usually if an npc is with the party I forget they're there. For wild magic I suggest rolling on the table every time you roll a 5 and below instead of just a 1 so its more frequent. I managed to kill a campaign villain as the last player alive by missing my spell but getting magic missile on wild magic. They were flying away and were just in range :tongue: luckiest thing to ever happen to me. How does your group play is it more combat or role play focused?
I've never used a DM PC. Usually if an npc is with the party I forget they're there. For wild magic I suggest rolling on the table every time you roll a 5 and below instead of just a 1 so its more frequent. I managed to kill a campaign villain as the last player alive by missing my spell but getting magic missile on wild magic. They were flying away and were just in range :tongue: luckiest thing to ever happen to me. How does your group play is it more combat or role play focused?

I often forget about the DM PC too but she's there for when they die and that's the important thing.The campaign I do with friends is more RP than combat as every so often we can have an entire session because half the party got drunk. Then my other group is a bit more combat than RP because we have a couple players that just aren't interested in RP and play on phones instead. I like a good combination but especially when you can be creative with the terrain and attacks to avoid monotony. What about you?
I often forget about the DM PC too but she's there for when they die and that's the important thing.The campaign I do with friends is more RP than combat as every so often we can have an entire session because half the party got drunk. Then my other group is a bit more combat than RP because we have a couple players that just aren't interested in RP and play on phones instead. I like a good combination but especially when you can be creative with the terrain and attacks to avoid monotony. What about you?

I prefer role play a lot more because most of the interest for me is in story and drama. We have a nice balance though perhaps slightly weighted towards rp. The last two sessions I ran were almost entirely rp and intra-party conflict so I barely had to do anything. I basically just ate cereal and watched them play it was great.
I prefer role play a lot more because most of the interest for me is in story and drama. We have a nice balance though perhaps slightly weighted towards rp. The last two sessions I ran were almost entirely rp and intra-party conflict so I barely had to do anything. I basically just ate cereal and watched them play it was great.

That sounds great. What patron does your warlock have? My blood hunter has a fiend patron (order of profane soul) but I'm not really too familiar with the other patrons.
That sounds great. What patron does your warlock have? My blood hunter has a fiend patron (order of profane soul) but I'm not really too familiar with the other patrons.

Great Old One which is meant to be Lovecraftian horror it's pretty ambiguous. I didn't include really any details of them in my backstory I like to leave certain bits up to the DM so I can discover them. In that campaign there's another warlock (archfey) and an artificer which is a garbage part composition but oh well. Blood hunters seem really cool but that might just be because I'm a huge witcher fan.
Great Old One which is meant to be Lovecraftian horror it's pretty ambiguous. I didn't include really any details of them in my backstory I like to leave certain bits up to the DM so I can discover them. In that campaign there's another warlock (archfey) and an artificer which is a garbage part composition but oh well. Blood hunters seem really cool but that might just be because I'm a huge witcher fan.

They really are, although I quickly learnt that not doing ghostslayer and having two weapon wielding's a mistake. Far too much HP lost. But luckily the DM was kind enough to allow me to switch when we had to reboot the campaign.
They really are, although I quickly learnt that not doing ghostslayer and having two weapon wielding's a mistake. Far too much HP lost. But luckily the DM was kind enough to allow me to switch when we had to reboot the campaign.

We've rebooted loaaads of campaigns. My one is going well though so hopefully it won't fall to the same fate. I ended one a couple of years ago because I got bored of the story even though I made it...
We've rebooted loaaads of campaigns. My one is going well though so hopefully it won't fall to the same fate. I ended one a couple of years ago because I got bored of the story even though I made it...

Yeah with ours the DM wanted to do a more water/ship based campaign. Also 2 of the players hated their characters and the characters hated each other as they were a bit similar as murder hobo chaotic neutrals. It's funny now because they both rolled chaotic good characters for the reboot and their characters get along really well.
Yeah with ours the DM wanted to do a more water/ship based campaign. Also 2 of the players hated their characters and the characters hated each other as they were a bit similar as murder hobo chaotic neutrals. It's funny now because they both rolled chaotic good characters for the reboot and their characters get along really well.

Whenever a player wants to change a character they tell me beforehand and we work out a good way for it to work. I did it with a player not too long ago and made it so that the others player would think that the new character was an intruder that had killed another character's mum when really she was fine and the new character was looking for a mop. Seeing the players' faces when I told them their front door was ajar was great because they always assume the worst.

Quick Reply

Latest