The Student Room Group

Is Warwick or Edinburgh more prestigious??

I have offers from both and as I am an EU student I have no idea which uni is more impressive to employers and generally considered more prestigious. I'd love to hear some opinions

Scroll to see replies

I think it’s depends on what you are studying because different departments within the university have different reputations.
So for like law - Warwick would be more prestigious because of the career prospects, employability and reputation.
Whereas for something like social anthropology - Edinburgh is one of the best universities to study it because of the great department and opportunities.
Original post by annabellewo
I think it’s depends on what you are studying because different departments within the university have different reputations.
So for like law - Warwick would be more prestigious because of the career prospects, employability and reputation.
Whereas for something like social anthropology - Edinburgh is one of the best universities to study it because of the great department and opportunities.

Thanks!
Reply 3
It also depends on where you are applying for jobs, and whether these jobs are related to your field of study.
Original post by ajj2000
It also depends on where you are applying for jobs, and whether these jobs are related to your field of study.

Thanks for replying, that's probably true
Reply 5
Well I applied to Edinburgh due to it having a good global reputation (number 20 on QS world rankings, out of the U.K. ones it was only behind Oxbridge, and a few London ones). It will be my insurance choice, though it was a near tie between St Andrews, but the latter looked a bit boring,

Honestly I don’t think employers would be like “if they had gone to Edinburgh instead of Warwick, or vice versa, I would have given them the job.”

I assume the class you get will matter more (as I believe Warwick is also a “Russell group”, sorry it’s not one I’m too familiar with). Just figure out where you’ll be happier as you’re more likely to do well and come out with a better degree, as well as better mental health. 🙂
Really depends on the subject though traditionally imo Edinburgh
Warwick is much more prestigious than Edinburgh lol
Reply 8
Original post by Em.-.

Honestly I don’t think employers would be like “if they had gone to Edinburgh instead of Warwick, or vice versa, I would have given them the job.”

You don’t know where the op is from not where they may be looking for work on graduation. There may be a local preference for some universities which differs to the U.K. for example Singapore only accepts medical graduates from a limited number of medical schools in the U.K.
Original post by dragostea.2004
Warwick is much more prestigious than Edinburgh lol

Do you mean it is considered more prestigious among employers or harder to get into or?
Original post by ajj2000

Thanks!
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Really depends on the subject though traditionally imo Edinburgh

I also used to think so, thank you!
Original post by Em.-.
Well I applied to Edinburgh due to it having a good global reputation (number 20 on QS world rankings, out of the U.K. ones it was only behind Oxbridge, and a few London ones). It will be my insurance choice, though it was a near tie between St Andrews, but the latter looked a bit boring,

I assume the class you get will matter more (as I believe Warwick is also a “Russell group”, sorry it’s not one I’m too familiar with). Just figure out where you’ll be happier as you’re more likely to do well and come out with a better degree, as well as better mental health. 🙂

That's very helpful, thank you!
Original post by ajj2000
You don’t know where the op is from not where they may be looking for work on graduation. There may be a local preference for some universities which differs to the U.K. for example Singapore only accepts medical graduates from a limited number of medical schools in the U.K.

I am from Poland and I think most people only recognize Oxbridge tbh, which is absurd as Warwick is great and UoE has alumni such as Darwin haha
Original post by springpastell
I am from Poland and I think most people only recognize Oxbridge tbh, which is absurd as Warwick is great and UoE has alumni such as Darwin haha

I think you’ve answered your question there! Any preference for a 3 or 4 year degree? Which course?
Original post by ajj2000
I think you’ve answered your question there! Any preference for a 3 or 4 year degree? Which course?

I applied for Philosophy and Politics, however, I am constantly being told this is a bad choice and I will have no job afterwards so idk
Reply 16
I applied for Philosophy and Politics, however, I am constantly being told this is a bad choice and I will have no job afterwards so idk

For those subjects, Warwick is a better university than Edinburgh, especially in Politics where Warwick is one of the best in the UK. Generally these days I would say Warwick is considered to be a lot better than Edinburgh in general too. Edinburgh is a lot older and people historically have seen it to be very prestigious, but Warwick has become easily as prestigious now.

Out of interest, have you applied for PPL or PPE at Warwick because I didn't think you could do just phil+pol, I've applied to PPL at warwick and phil+pol at my other unis.
Reply 17
Original post by ajj2000

Well in Scotland, where I’m from, Edinburgh would be preferred as most people here don’t seem to have heard of Warwick, I almost applied there but picked Durham instead, and when I mentioned them almost everyone was like “where’s that?”, and I actually had to tell them they were good unis.

Basically here it’s Oxbridge > Edinburgh > St Andrews (though it seems to be more prestigious than Edinburgh in areas outside Scotland, like America) then I suppose Glasgow alongside English ones, although you’d probably have to tell people “it’s a good uni”. Unless the person is English or more familiar with all British unis. I suppose it’s because Scottish people generally plan on staying in Scotland to study, so only look into Scottish unis, of which Edinburgh seems to be the best and so naturally the Scottish people with perfect grades often go there, but of course Oxbridge is just known as being superior in reputation which is why I was willing to pay the fees.

But in England I assume Russel Group unis are generally preferred, after the likes of Oxbridge specifically, but different employers will have different opinions. I just don’t think Edinburgh and Warwick will be that different unless the specific employer has a bias, but it’s difficult to know exactly where you’ll manage to get a job in the future.

As I said a first class > upper second class > lower second class. This will matter more when comparing people at two unis with good reputation, which I know Edinburgh has and I assume Warwick does too. And if you enjoy a course more I’d assume you’re more likely to do well.
Reply 18

It seems then the choice is yours, if you plan on living and working in Poland. If neither is more prestigious than the other there, then just go to the one with the course (and place) you think you’d enjoy most.

In Scotland, Edinburgh is more prestigious than Warwick (which many people don’t seem to have heard of here, I certainly hadn’t until I started properly looking into Russel Group unis), but in the rest of the U.K. I’m not sure.
Original post by LawrieH
For those subjects, Warwick is a better university than Edinburgh, especially in Politics where Warwick is one of the best in the UK. Generally these days I would say Warwick is considered to be a lot better than Edinburgh in general too. Edinburgh is a lot older and people historically have seen it to be very prestigious, but Warwick has become easily as prestigious now.

Out of interest, have you applied for PPL or PPE at Warwick because I didn't think you could do just phil+pol, I've applied to PPL at warwick and phil+pol at my other unis.

You're probably right, and I applied for PPL at Warwick as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending