The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy

I am an Italian University student (Sport science) and i will probably apply for a Master (probably sport therapy) to conclude my Sport science degree.
After I would like to start a degree in physiotherapy, so I will become a complete Healthcare professional.
In your opinion, if I apply as undergraduate, will they think I am too old (24 yo when I will finish the master) and that is better if I apply as postgraduate? ? I do not like the postgraduate course (2 years insted of 3).
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by teo_ghe
I am an Italian University student (Sport science) and i will probably apply for a Master (probably sport therapy) to conclude my Sport science degree.
After I would like to start a degree in physiotherapy, so I will become a complete Healthcare professional.
In your opinion, if I apply as undergraduate, will they think I am too old (24 yo when I will finish the master) and that is better if I apply as postgraduate? ? I do not like the postgraduate course (2 years insted of 3).

Why do you want a master's in sport therapy if you know you want to be a physiotherapist? You can apply for physiotherapy without needing a master's (at least in the UK). The undergraduate course is probably less competitive, so it attracts a lot of older people wanting to retrain. You will probably still be one of the youngest, even at 24.
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Why do you want a master's in sport therapy if you know you want to be a physiotherapist? You can apply for physiotherapy without needing a master's (at least in the UK). The undergraduate course is probably less competitive, so it attracts a lot of older people wanting to retrain. You will probably still be one of the youngest, even at 24.

I have already sent my application for next year, but 4/5 universities refused me (probably I have a lack of experience, in Italy we can not volunteering and help other physiotherapy without having a degree in physiotherapy). I did an interview for university of bradford (physiotherapy) and I am waiting their answer but I am not sure they will accept me. If they do not accept me, I have a year to study something else, and next year I will try again
Original post by teo_ghe
I have already sent my application for next year, but 4/5 universities refused me (probably I have a lack of experience, in Italy we can not volunteering and help other physiotherapy without having a degree in physiotherapy). I did an interview for university of bradford (physiotherapy) and I am waiting their answer but I am not sure they will accept me. If they do not accept me, I have a year to study something else, and next year I will try again

Did you ask the universities for specific feedback? I know some universities don't consider Sport Science as a relevant enough background subject, but not all.
Reply 4
Did you ask the universities for specific feedback? I know some universities don't consider Sport Science as a relevant enough background subject, but not all.

1 refused me because of my English, 1 am still waiting for the answer about the interview, the other 3 I am not sure why. I think is that even if I will probably take a first class/2:1 degree in sport science(predicted grades), they considered a lot my secondary school degree that was not enough.
This is way i want to study sport therapy, probably i will gain the experience in the field and confirm that I am a good university student.
Reply 5

2 Universities offered me a place for sport therapy (bcs Hons), I m not sure what to do 😂
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by teo_ghe
2 Universities offered me a place for sport therapy (bcs Hons), I m not sure what to do 😂

Are these universities in the UK? You might want to contact universities that offer both undergrad and postgrad physiotherapy to see if sports therapy would help a future application.
Reply 7
Are these universities in the UK? You might want to contact universities that offer both undergrad and postgrad physiotherapy to see if sports therapy would help a future application.

Yes, in the Uk (they refused me for physio and offered me a place for sport therapy). And, yes, for postgraduate course (in physiotherapy, but starting from zero, not courses for who is already a physiotherapist) they require student that come from sport science/sport therapy/etc.
I am considering the idea to do sport therapy and after apply for a 2 years postgraduate course in physiotherapy.
Probably i can do directly a postgraduate in physio (only with my Sport science degree) but I did not send an application for it because physiotherapy as a postgraduate is really hard if u do not have a good solid base, also because the first months in UK will be hard for me cuz of my English (2 years insted of 3, with the same hours of placements)
Reply 8
Original post by teo_ghe
Yes, in the Uk (they refused me for physio and offered me a place for sport therapy). And, yes, for postgraduate course (in physiotherapy, but starting from zero, not courses for who is already a physiotherapist) they require student that come from sport science/sport therapy/etc.
I am considering the idea to do sport therapy and after apply for a 2 years postgraduate course in physiotherapy.
Probably i can do directly a postgraduate in physio (only with my Sport science degree) but I did not send an application for it because physiotherapy as a postgraduate is really hard if u do not have a good solid base, also because the first months in UK will be hard for me cuz of my English (2 years insted of 3, with the same hours of placements)

Why don't you study the IELTS exam then you can get the required grade of English. Just an idea. I PERSONALLY wouldn't bother with the Masters if you want to study physiotherapy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending