The Student Room Group

International student applying for FY1 2021

I have trawled and trawled the internet looking for someone who is on the same pathway as me but always seem to be coming up empty. I have a variety of questions, see below:

Seeing as the Right To Work in the UK for foreign doctors has been scraped starting October 2019, the UKFPO has opened up FY1 for everyone eligible to apply. I am currently still waiting to sit for PLAB 1, but am looking to see if anyone out here is applying for FY1 as an IMG? What are my chances of getting in as an IMG, as FY1 has been historically oversubscribed? I have a MSc, which could put me at a higher chance.

And, anyone here who has sat for PLAB 1 and PLAB 2 recently, care to give me their advice, bumps to look out for?

Finally, if any British graduates would mind sharing their experiences in applying for FY1? I know its probably all done with help from your medical school, but I am going through this whole process alone, and desperately need some guidance.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Hi, going through the same process as you.
An IMG currently on gap year in the UK, planning to apply for a place in FY1 2021. We graduate so late in the year in my home country that I missed the application deadline for the 2020 round.

From my research, I gathered FY1 spots outside of London are usually undersubscribed (according to the historical competition ratios available on UKFPO). However last year had a very large reserve list and there was a significant number of eligible applicants that were not placed - but if I remember correctly they did not have the right to work. But on the other hand, a number of people without the right to work were also able to get sponsored. So in the past, if you had the right to work you were more or less guaranteed a spot, but that may change this round.

Not sure how this whole process will change for 2021, the official guidelines aren't out yet. My strat is just to focus on scoring well on the SJT, if you score high enough to not be placed in the reserve list, you're probably safe to get a spot (again, not sure with 2021 though).

P.s. if you havent got your degree verified by EPIC yet, I suggest doing it ASAP. You need it for both GMC registration and UKFPO. It can be a very protracted/frustrating process depending on how efficient your medical school is.
Original post by janschoo
I have trawled and trawled the internet looking for someone who is on the same pathway as me but always seem to be coming up empty. I have a variety of questions, see below:

Seeing as the Right To Work in the UK for foreign doctors has been scraped starting October 2019, the UKFPO has opened up FY1 for everyone eligible to apply. I am currently still waiting to sit for PLAB 1, but am looking to see if anyone out here is applying for FY1 as an IMG? What are my chances of getting in as an IMG, as FY1 has been historically oversubscribed? I have a MSc, which could put me at a higher chance.

And, anyone here who has sat for PLAB 1 and PLAB 2 recently, care to give me their advice, bumps to look out for?

Finally, if any British graduates would mind sharing their experiences in applying for FY1? I know its probably all done with help from your medical school, but I am going through this whole process alone, and desperately need some guidance.

Thanks.

There are lots of IMG that enter foundation year 1 every year across the UK. It is the RML that has been scrapped, which means as an IMG if you have a right to work/visa, then you will be ranked the same as a uk medical student, and not after them.
So basically you have a great chance of a place.
London may be oversubscribed for everyone, but there are other places to look at and live.
For an IMG, I would prob suggest you think about regions. Where would you like to live - do you know people somewhere? Are there communities of similar country of origin/religion where you can make some easy connections. [not saying need to stick to these communities, just that it can make the transition of moving to somewhere new a bit easier!]
I know some schools make a thing on their website about having a longer paid pre start shadowing for IMG to help them get a head start, and feel welcomed. [eg EBH]
For actual help applying, it is confusing for uk medical graduates too! The advice is to look at the UKFPO website application guidance and follow it. As an IMG you need to start applying earlier for the eligibility process - i think it is June/July.
https://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2019/11/UKFP-2020-Eligibility-Applicant-Guidance__0.pdf
Original post by HHaricot
There are lots of IMG that enter foundation year 1 every year across the UK. It is the RML that has been scrapped, which means as an IMG if you have a right to work/visa, then you will be ranked the same as a uk medical student, and not after them.
So basically you have a great chance of a place.
London may be oversubscribed for everyone, but there are other places to look at and live.
For an IMG, I would prob suggest you think about regions. Where would you like to live - do you know people somewhere? Are there communities of similar country of origin/religion where you can make some easy connections. [not saying need to stick to these communities, just that it can make the transition of moving to somewhere new a bit easier!]
I know some schools make a thing on their website about having a longer paid pre start shadowing for IMG to help them get a head start, and feel welcomed. [eg EBH]
For actual help applying, it is confusing for uk medical graduates too! The advice is to look at the UKFPO website application guidance and follow it. As an IMG you need to start applying earlier for the eligibility process - i think it is June/July.
https://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2019/11/UKFP-2020-Eligibility-Applicant-Guidance__0.pdf

I have a query abouT the eligibility application requirements. I am a British citizen who did my schooling in the UK and now I am studying medicine in the EU. My course is taught in English as well. Would I need to do the ielts for the elgibility application?
Are they actually going to rank IMGs the same as UK graduates? I understand for specialty training where there are gaps. But the foundation programme is oversubscribed and last year some UK grads were definitely put on the waiting list, unsure if they all got jobs? Surely there is a system in place where you can’t go through 5 years of med school and 75k of debt and be left jobless?
Original post by Ragnarslayer
I have a query abouT the eligibility application requirements. I am a British citizen who did my schooling in the UK and now I am studying medicine in the EU. My course is taught in English as well. Would I need to do the ielts for the elgibility application?

TBH, if it isnt in the UKFPO doc I linked to, you are best emailing them.
Original post by Anonymous
Are they actually going to rank IMGs the same as UK graduates? I understand for specialty training where there are gaps. But the foundation programme is oversubscribed and last year some UK grads were definitely put on the waiting list, unsure if they all got jobs? Surely there is a system in place where you can’t go through 5 years of med school and 75k of debt and be left jobless?

Indeed. However, It is likely to be just undersubscribed this year once the withdrawals etc happen. Being filled the same though does mean that possibly IMG will be more spread evenly through the regions, rather than in the most remote and rural. Not quite sure how the run for primary list and UoA runs.
HEE/UKFPO doesnt have any clout as to what the government does with visa and whether the resident market labour test needs to be applied.
Previously EU and UK grads had the same rights, but most EU grads get a full licence from GMC so dont apply for the two year posts.
However, last year when it looked like UK graduates might be left unemployed due to massive oversubscription, HEE asked regions to create some expansion F1 posts to cover this.
Reply 7
I am an IMG who recently got placed for a competitive AFP program. My process started in 2018 with plab 1 and then plab 2 in early 2019. Dear IMGs it is not impossible to get into the system as an FY1 and stop comparing yourself to "statistics." Do your best and you will get results- many discouraged me and said I cannot apply to competitive deaneries but I put my application out there, said my prayers and studied hard even for the SJT which for some reason people want to "wing" you have to build up this acumen in judgement so study for this section of the test. The clinical assessment version (OSCE) is like the plab 2 so you can prepare for both at the same time.

*so book the plab one: study 1700 samson questions, take them over and over and over again; take Dr Lianne's plab 2 course (plabstrategies.com- she is brilliant and I passed in my first attempt, her classes are online which is great) keep up with oriel deadlines and apply to one competitive deanery like oxford and another not too competitive...also prepare for your interviews if you are applying to AFPs...you can get in, have faith and try :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Lily7
I am an IMG who recently got placed for a competitive AFP program. My process started in 2018 with plab 1 and then plab 2 in early 2019. Dear IMGs it is not impossible to get into the system as an FY1 and stop comparing yourself to "statistics." Do your best and you will get results- many discouraged me and said I cannot apply to competitive deaneries but I put my application out there, said my prayers and studied hard even for the SJT which for some reason people want to "wing" you have to build up this acumen in judgement so study for this section of the test. The clinical assessment version (OSCE) is like the plab 2 so you can prepare for both at the same time.

*so book the plab one: study 1700 samson questions, take them over and over and over again; take Dr Lianne's plab 2 course (plabstrategies.com- she is brilliant and I passed in my first attempt, her classes are online which is great) keep up with oriel deadlines and apply to one competitive deanery like oxford and another not too competitive...also prepare for your interviews if you are applying to AFPs...you can get in, have faith and try :smile:

Hi Lily ,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your post is reassuring and optimistic compared to the myriad of posts online that discourages IMGs from applying for FY in the UK.
I am an IMG , currently preparing for my PLABs. But as I skim through the GMC website I come upon a section which says
"You'll need to send us a certificate of good standing from each medical regulatory authority you've been registered or licensed with in the last five years. You'll need to do this even if you've not worked in that country."
My university is ready to give me a good character certificate but that is not from the Medical regulatory authority.
Just curious on how did you go about this. Kindly advise.
Regards,
CJ
Reply 9
Original post by Ragnarslayer

hi mate im in the same situation as you, also a uk national studying medicine in the eu. Any news if IELTS is needed, because if it is it might be a problem to take the test soon enough before the oriel eligibility window closes... because of the pandemic.
Original post by ttadel
hi mate im in the same situation as you, also a uk national studying medicine in the eu. Any news if IELTS is needed, because if it is it might be a problem to take the test soon enough before the oriel eligibility window closes... because of the pandemic.

I dont think many would want to add to the UKFPO guide unless they are expert in this field as the risk for you if the advice was wrong is too high!
Reply 11
Original post by HHaricot
I dont think many would want to add to the UKFPO guide unless they are expert in this field as the risk for you if the advice was wrong is too high!

Thanks, unfortunately UKFPO guide doesn't have the answers I'm seeking. :frown: I went ahead and emailed them. Hopefully I'll get a response soon.
Original post by cj2020
Hi Lily ,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Your post is reassuring and optimistic compared to the myriad of posts online that discourages IMGs from applying for FY in the UK.
I am an IMG , currently preparing for my PLABs. But as I skim through the GMC website I come upon a section which says
"You'll need to send us a certificate of good standing from each medical regulatory authority you've been registered or licensed with in the last five years. You'll need to do this even if you've not worked in that country."
My university is ready to give me a good character certificate but that is not from the Medical regulatory authority.
Just curious on how did you go about this. Kindly advise.
Regards,
CJ

The certificate of good standing is usually only submitted when you have been registered to practice in a country. If you have not started practising yet then I don't think this is required of you. Simply clarify with the GMC. It shouldn't be a problem
Do you guys still plan on applying? This is the only place where I found people who are in the same boat as me. Since the application window is open in two weeks, maybe we could restart this discussion.
Reply 14
hi all, I have a question about those IMGs who are in final year and will have their final exam results in September 2021. Does this mean they will only be able to start F1 thru UKFPO starting in August 2022? thanks B
Original post by Bhuma
hi all, I have a question about those IMGs who are in final year and will have their final exam results in September 2021. Does this mean they will only be able to start F1 thru UKFPO starting in August 2022? thanks B

Yes
Hi I just found this thread so glad to know there other IMGs applying for 2021
Has anyone taken the SJT yet? ( for the 2021 UKFP)
Reply 18
this page should be a lot more busier with updates. searched so hard before I found a link to connect with other IMG for 2021 fy1. Any IMG got offers for AFP or FPP ?
Reply 19
Hello, I am also an IMG in the FPP and FP process but sadly did not receive an offer yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending