The Student Room Group

Solicitor Apprenticeship or Russel group University?

Can someone address these questions for me?
-After I finish the apprenticeship and I work at the law firm as a qualified solicitor for a few years and then want to move to another law firm would that be possible? Would law firms look highly upon the fact that I had 6 years of experience under my belt or turn their nose up at the fact that I hadn't gone to a more "higher" university (you know, the traditional route.)

-Do law firms care about you taking the traditional route?

Thanks
Original post by yotsr123
-After I finish the apprenticeship and I work at the law firm as a qualified solicitor for a few years and then want to move to another law firm would that be possible? Would law firms look highly upon the fact that I had 6 years of experience under my belt or turn their nose up at the fact that I hadn't gone to a more "higher" university (you know, the traditional route.)

Thanks

Theres a thread somewhere with some who are doing an apprenticeship.
Imo it depends in which firm, what you wish to do, your ability and which uni.

The firm will determine what sort of experience and quality of training.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Theres a thread somewhere with some who are doing an apprenticeship.
Imo it depends in which firm, what you wish to do, your ability and which uni.

The firm will determine what sort of experience and quality of training.

Let's say two scenarios. I wanted to move to, after becoming a qualified solicitor and working for a few yrs after apprenticeship:
1 - A "normal law firm" to an MC one
2. An "normal law firm" to another "normal law firm" (what i mean by this is non MC)

I've heard a lot of good law firms like Ashursts provide apprenticeships?
Let's say two scenarios. I wanted to move to, after becoming a qualified solicitor and working for a few yrs after apprenticeship:
1 - A "normal law firm" to an MC one
2. An "normal law firm" to another "normal law firm" (what i mean by this is non MC)

I've heard a lot of good law firms like Ashursts provide apprenticeships?

It depends on the firm.
There are hundreds/ thousands of firms outside the MC and some of therm would consider themselves just as good in their respective fields.
Do you have university offers and top grades?
Have you applied and been offered any apprenticeships?
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
It depends on the firm.
There are hundreds/ thousands of firms outside the MC and some of therm would consider themselves just as good in their respective fields.
Do you have university offers and top grades?
Have you applied and been offered any apprenticeships?

Yes. I have uni offers from Durham, Bristol, Nottingham waiting on the rest.
And my predicted grades are A*A*A. I have applied to a few apprenticeships and the deadlines are in March so I'll see. If I do get offered one I'm scared I may possibly be gambling with a risk because I don't know if firms prefer their applicants to go down the traditional route, if apprenticeships are "looked down upon," if the degree I'd be getting at BPP and others aren't "up to scratch" etc.... :frown:

Also, which one would you personally choose and why?
Just apply for both and see what you think after open day etc. If you have A*A+A then you will have choice, so uni will always be there.
Apprenticeships are new but they have their plusses.
Where your apprenticeship is will matter in terms of experience and training.
I have applied to a few apprenticeships and the deadlines are in March so I'll see.

Hey, this isn't helpful to you at all so sorry, but just curious: why are you thinking of potentially taking this alternative route to becoming a solicitor? :smile:
Reply 7
all you need to do is look at the profiles of the solicitors at those 'MC' law firms. where do they come from? what makes them MC quality?

if i had the opportunity, i'd do the apprenticeship, but i'm not set on MC firms or any other circle for that matter. is that a deal breaker for you?
Reply 8
Original post by Law-yer
Hey, this isn't helpful to you at all so sorry, but just curious: why are you thinking of potentially taking this alternative route to becoming a solicitor? :smile:

Earning a salary, getting stuck into the job and getting 6 years experience as while as forming contacts and networks from the people you will be working together with all stood out as giant advantages to me, plus the fact that you are pretty much guaranteed a job at the firm when you're finished AND become a newly qualified solicitor at the same time as a university graduate. So these things stood out to me BUT I am still seriously thinking of going to university too!
Original post by Joleee
all you need to do is look at the profiles of the solicitors at those 'MC' law firms. where do they come from? what makes them MC quality?

if i had the opportunity, i'd do the apprenticeship, but i'm not set on MC firms or any other circle for that matter. is that a deal breaker for you?

No, definitely not. I'm definitely not set on working at an MC.
But that is a REALLY good idea, thanks for this!
good luck finding a solicitor apprenticeship! im in the same boat and cant seem to find any :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by Imzy010
good luck finding a solicitor apprenticeship! im in the same boat and cant seem to find any :frown:

Oh, I've found loads. The deadline is in March so you still have a bit of time.
These law firms offer them:

Browne Jacobson
Eversheds,
Gateley,
Kennedys Law,
Lewis Silkin,
Mayer Brown,
Olswang,
Simmons & Simmons,

Withers
Oh, I've found loads. The deadline is in March so you still have a bit of time.
These law firms offer them:

Browne Jacobson
Eversheds,
Gateley,
Kennedys Law,
Lewis Silkin,
Mayer Brown,
Olswang,
Simmons & Simmons,

Withers

This is a strange list. Some of these firms have never offered the apprenticeship, some don’t exist under those names anymore, some have already had their deadlines and some don’t offer the full apprenticeship!
Reply 12
Original post by hannahgeo123
This is a strange list. Some of these firms have never offered the apprenticeship, some don’t exist under those names anymore, some have already had their deadlines and some don’t offer the full apprenticeship!

ALL of them offer the apprenticeship - I have checked. All of them exist under those names.
All of them offer the full apprenticeship - some require you to do a paralegal apprenticeship first and then proceed onto a solicitor apprenticeship.
You need to check again.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks for this, I get what you're saying but unfortunately very few of these are currently accepting applications, hence why I pulled yotsr up on it.
Browne Jacobson - No openings and appears to only be open to Nottinghamshire students who get recommended through work experience.
CMS - as you say, no vacancies since applications have closed.
Gateley - No vacancies
Kennedys - This one is a paralegal apprenticeship with possible progression to solicitor level 7 (no guarantee so may be a risk depending on your career goals).
Lewis Silkin - No vacancies
Eversheds - Applications have closed for this cycle
Mayer Brown - This one checks out and is open at the moment!!
Simmons x2 - Haven't yet implemented an apprenticeship, but it has been on the cards (looking unlikely got this year though).
Withers - Confirmed they won't be taking on any apprentices this year.

Just want to clear it up for anyone reading this who thinks they still have time to apply when in reality they do not.:smile:
Yes. I have uni offers from Durham, Bristol, Nottingham waiting on the rest.
And my predicted grades are A*A*A. I have applied to a few apprenticeships and the deadlines are in March so I'll see. If I do get offered one I'm scared I may possibly be gambling with a risk because I don't know if firms prefer their applicants to go down the traditional route, if apprenticeships are "looked down upon," if the degree I'd be getting at BPP and others aren't "up to scratch" etc.... :frown:

Also, which one would you personally choose and why?

With these offers and grades, I'd say (obviously dependent on your extra-curriculars, strong 2.1/1st and application standard) that these A-Levels and Unis look promising for a very strong firm (including MC). I applied for apprenticeships, albeit non-law, however I was eventually swayed towards the university experience. Even though I fancied work, I realised that this would be for 45+ weeks of the year for the rest of my life, and I wanted to 'live a little' before going for it. It sounds cliché, but which would you regret not taking more?

Similar to your educational background and opportunities, I received A*A*A and went to Bristol - and ended up interviewing at 3 MC firms and accepting an offer - I'm not saying it's a guarantee by any means, but you're on the right tracks if that's where you eventually want to end up!
(edited 3 years ago)

Thanks

What did you end up choosing in the end?
Reply 16
Original post by SpiritualSeeker
What did you end up choosing in the end?

Russel Group Uni.
Wanted more flexibility in knowing what type of law I liked, more time for personal development than going straight into the world of work. And tbh I prefer it so glad I chose this route in the end
Russel Group Uni.
Wanted more flexibility in knowing what type of law I liked, more time for personal development than going straight into the world of work. And tbh I prefer it so glad I chose this route in the end

Thats exactly the conclusion I've come to after thinking about it, I would rather take some time to find my area of law rather than adapt to a firm, but thanks for replying back!
It would depend on the candidate and also which firm was offering the apprenticeship. Nine months ago.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending