The Student Room Group

I don’t know what’s happening everything is just going wrong 😭😭 I need advice ple

Hi I’m honestly stressing a lot right now in my previous mocks I got 4/5 s and everyone expects me to get grades 7 8 9 but I procrastinate as I believe I can’t do it. I don’t know what’s happening everything is just going wrong 😭😭 I need advice please
Original post by Grapefruit/12
Hi I’m honestly stressing a lot right now in my previous mocks I got 4/5 s and everyone expects me to get grades 7 8 9 but I procrastinate as I believe I can’t do it. I don’t know what’s happening everything is just going wrong 😭😭 I need advice please

Try starting small, so for example watching a YouTube video, and work your way up. Next you could write notes on the video, then from there do a mind map/ flash card and then do a practice question. You don't necessarily need to do all of in one sitting either. Primrose kitten and free science lessons are good for science and mr bruff or mr sales are good for English. I used my maths for maths too :smile:
I hope that helped a bit :smile: I really struggled with revision and this is what worked for me when I was in a similar situation
Its quite strange to me that I used to find GCSEs very hard . Anyway 9s are possible . If I got a 9 then everyone is capable of getting one . Youve just got to put in consistent hard work. Spaced repetition and If you cant seem to get anything in your head ( like me ) just memorise! I found that memorisation for subjects such as biology , essay subjects and english literature made things stick in my head for longer. Also realize that after your GCSEs its the summer holidays with no homework !!!! Anyway I hoped this helped. Good luck with your GCSEs . And remember stress can drive your revision..
Is primrose kitten good for maths as well? I thought she only did science
Original post by AlwaysPotter
Try starting small, so for example watching a YouTube video, and work your way up. Next you could write notes on the video, then from there do a mind map/ flash card and then do a practice question. You don't necessarily need to do all of in one sitting either. Primrose kitten and free science lessons are good for science and mr bruff or mr sales are good for English. I used my maths for maths too :smile:
I hope that helped a bit :smile: I really struggled with revision and this is what worked for me when I was in a similar situation
Were you a grade 4/5 if u were god that’s inspirational I’ve got really awful memory I think that’s why I struggle with revision but thank you x
Original post by safia.2002
Its quite strange to me that I used to find GCSEs very hard . Anyway 9s are possible . If I got a 9 then everyone is capable of getting one . Youve just got to put in consistent hard work. Spaced repetition and If you cant seem to get anything in your head ( like me ) just memorise! I found that memorisation for subjects such as biology , essay subjects and english literature made things stick in my head for longer. Also realize that after your GCSEs its the summer holidays with no homework !!!! Anyway I hoped this helped. Good luck with your GCSEs . And remember stress can drive your revision..
1. dont stress, its not too late!
2. have you got the cgp revision guides? those are brilliant. if you know those inside out (for science esp) youll be fine
3. for maths just do loads of past papers and questions
4. for essay based subjects like english lit, re, history, you just have to memorise, quotes, annotations etc...
for eng lit, what really helped me was taking key scenes/themes from my texts and condensing all annotations and quotes of them onto a3 sheets of paper
Hey!! Please don’t stress you’ll make it!!
For physics free science lessons was great
For bio and chem the cgp revision guides are amazing!!
For English lit just use flashcards to revise the quotes and eventually practice answering some questions
For English Lang just memorise a good paragraph for an introduction that will fit into any story and that’s it because your practice for literature also helps with language
Original post by Deenipops
1. dont stress, its not too late!
2. have you got the cgp revision guides? those are brilliant. if you know those inside out (for science esp) youll be fine
3. for maths just do loads of past papers and questions
4. for essay based subjects like english lit, re, history, you just have to memorise, quotes, annotations etc...
for eng lit, what really helped me was taking key scenes/themes from my texts and condensing all annotations and quotes of them onto a3 sheets of paper

I’ve got cgp books for English and science I’m doing aqa combined. Thank you so much
Also maths watch is amazing for maths and just do past papers!!
Listen here you’ve got it I know you do and your heart does to. You will do amazing keep repeating this in your head because it’s true. You will do amazing!!!
Original post by ArtmisKco
Hey!! Please don’t stress you’ll make it!!
For physics free science lessons was great
For bio and chem the cgp revision guides are amazing!!
For English lit just use flashcards to revise the quotes and eventually practice answering some questions
For English Lang just memorise a good paragraph for an introduction that will fit into any story and that’s it because your practice for literature also helps with language

He’s really good I think it’s just motivation my school constantly drills us every single day I’m nearly burnt out by revising and I’m guessing my revision is not really effective at all
Ouch I get you honestly I think everyone in year 12 has forgotten how painful GCSEs were but I still remember how terrifying and info compressed it was. What I did and just do now is revise then answer questions. You’ll make it!!
Here is the break down of my results
predicted , Last mock grade , actual grade
science: 6/6 , 6/7 ,7/8.
English language 8,4, 9.
English literature 7 ,7 ,7.
Maths 4,3,5.
RS 8,5, 7.
Geography 8,7,
ICT (A*) achieved an A.
French (3)achieved a 5 .

It is very possible You will feel really dumb in sixth form when you realise the content at GCSE was alot easier ( although it is hard to realise at that time).Literally most of my friends failed for example one is resitting maths for the 5th time . Whereas some of my friends came out with 5* 9s.Youll be fine as long as you memorise using the spaced repetition technique.This is where you space out your revision over a long period of time. Right now is the ideal time to start. Personally for me memorisation was the way to go . English language was an exception for that i watched a tonns of videos from youtube ( they were really helpful) like a week before the exam. When i finished revising everything in class made sense ( I am usually so lost in class even now) and the revision activities like the final countdown are actually so useful wheb you know the content. No one is naturally gifted at something just put in the hard work . Always remember that revision for GCSEs wont last forever - you wont be revising for GCSEs ever again after these exams.Idk but that keeps me quite motivated for A levels. Anyway it is very possible to train your memory .Dont worry too much everyone fails sometimes .For me i was predicted an 8 in language .I sat the exam in y10 came out with a disappointing 4. Resat in y11 came out with a 9. Change can happen its never too late . Goodluck youll be fine.
(edited 4 years ago)
He’s really good I think it’s just motivation my school constantly drills us every single day I’m nearly burnt out by revising and I’m guessing my revision is not really effective at all

My friends rn revise from highlighting and making fancy notes for like hours . Thats not effective whatsoever . Personally memorisation for me was very effective. Slow at first yes but when you know the content once reviewing it is much faster the next day. It saves a lotta time .
My friends rn revise from highlighting and making fancy notes for like hours . Thats not effective whatsoever . Personally memorisation for me was very effective. Slow at first yes but when you know the content once reviewing it is much faster the next day. It saves a lotta time .

That makes a lot of sense 😂 thank you so much 😊
Oh gosh thank you 💛💛
Original post by ArtmisKco
Ouch I get you honestly I think everyone in year 12 has forgotten how painful GCSEs were but I still remember how terrifying and info compressed it was. What I did and just do now is revise then answer questions. You’ll make it

I discovered that pass papers do work 👍 thank you so much for ur advice
Here is the break down of my results
predicted , Last mock grade , actual grade
science: 6/6 , 6/7 ,7/8.
English language 8,4, 9.
English literature 7 ,7 ,7.
Maths 4,3,5.
RS 8,5, 7.
Geography 8,7,
ICT (A*) achieved an A.
French (3)achieved a 5 .

It is very possible You will feel really dumb in sixth form when you realise the content at GCSE was alot easier ( although it is hard to realise at that time).Literally most of my friends failed for example one is resitting maths for the 5th time . Whereas some of my friends came out with 5* 9s.Youll be fine as long as you memorise using the spaced repetition technique.This is where you space out your revision over a long period of time. Right now is the ideal time to start. Personally for me memorisation was the way to go . English language was an exception for that i watched a tonns of videos from youtube ( they were really helpful) like a week before the exam. When i finished revising everything in class made sense ( I am usually so lost in class even now) and the revision activities like the final countdown are actually so useful wheb you know the content. No one is naturally gifted at something just put in the hard work . Always remember that revision for GCSEs wont last forever - you wont be revising for GCSEs ever again after these exams.Idk but that keeps me quite motivated for A levels. Anyway it is very possible to train your memory .Dont worry too much everyone fails sometimes .For me i was predicted an 8 in language .I sat the exam in y10 came out with a disappointing 4. Resat in y11 came out with a 9. Change can happen its never too late . Goodluck youll be fine.

I’m going to use that technique fingers crossed there will be a change but I think I’m not going to do as well in the next mocks which is next week I did revise but I’m wary if it was effective but I will use that method for my GCSEs

Just try not to stress too much! All you can do is try your best. They're not the be all and end all and there is still time to improve. It's important just to try your best and remember that a little bit of stress is good because it helps you to be motivated.

Maybe you can try getting apps on your phone to stop you from going on it if that is a cause of your procrastination. Try to never have your phone near you when your revising. Also, you don't need to revise for hours on end. Just revise well - as in don't passively read notes. 1 hour of hard productive active revision will be so much better than 5 hours of highlighting and reading a textbook.

Resources that I find really helpful to revise with are:
Primrose Kitten maths and science videos
Seneca Learning
Duolingo for langauges
Quizlet - especially good for languages and history (dates) but you can revise all subjects on this really

Useful apps for planning revison:
Adapt
SQA my study planner

Don't stress too much and give yourself necessary breaks. Good luck, I'm sure you will do really well. If you get too stressed try to remind yourself they're just GCSE's there is more to life after!
(edited 4 years ago)
Is primrose kitten good for maths as well? I thought she only did science

I never watched her maths videos but I'm sure they'll work well too :smile:
there is always a way if you believe in yourself

Quick Reply

Latest