The Student Room Group

Coronvarius causes China CO2 emissions to fall by 100 million tonnes

As I suspected, CO2 emissions in china have massively fallen.
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3051676/coronavirus-study-finds-lockdown-may-have-helped-cut-chinas

And the industrial north of italy has been locked down due to coronavirus fears.

Scroll to see replies

Every cloud 😁👍
Original post by Just my opinion
Every cloud 😁👍

This could actually mean 2020 is the first year to have less carbon emissions than other years or for them to be stable (not increase or decrease).

Airlines have said how 2020 will be one of the toughest years for them because of the virus. 1 in 4 flights are being axed.

Also, if it does become some kind of pandemic, less people so kind of better for the earth?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ferrograd
This could actually mean 2020 is the first year to have less carbon emissions than other years or for them to be stable (not increase or decrease).

Airlines have said how 2020 will be one of the toughest years for them because of the virus. 1 in 4 flights are being axed.

Also, if it does become some kind of pandemic, less people so kind of better for the earth?

One in four flights are to/from China? :s-smilie:
Original post by Quady
One in four flights are to/from China? :s-smilie:

not sure, but 2/3rds of all flights to china are cancelled.
Could very well be, china is a massive transport hub, especially for connections to southeast asia and other places.
It could also have severe economic consequences not just for China but for all the importers and exporters.
Reply 6
not sure, but 2/3rds of all flights to china are cancelled.
Could very well be, china is a massive transport hub, especially for connections to southeast asia and other places.

More like one in three then if only 2/3rds cancelled.
Original post by 999tigger
It could also have severe economic consequences not just for China but for all the importers and exporters.

I'm betting several airlines will go bust this year. Jet fuel prices have fallen substansially and the demand has fallen to its lowest level in years for travel to the asia pacific region. Will be an interesting experiment to see if china can maintain its position as a global player. with people working less, if productivity stays at relatively decent levels it could very well mean the case for a 4 day week.

So the USA might end up overtaking china if the virus becomes worse in china and productivity falls. the USA could end up having a monopoly on trade this year and potentially years to come if it is the case, which would be good news for trump and bad news for the rest of the world if as a consequence he gets re-elected.

Can't remember where abouts now but read somewhere on Reddit that more CO2 has been reduced by the coronavirus than that that would be reduced by the UK going carbon neutral by 2050.

Maybe mother nature is kicking in and trying to do the work we won't do. I suggested a while back a new plague or virus like this would be good for the environment. People called me all sorts but this coronavirus has been more of a success than i thought for the environment. We haven't had a massive deal of deaths, yet economic activity, flights, production etc have almost stopped in china.
Do not celebrate.

The reduction of emissions in China is corresponded by a fall in the emission of reflective aerosols that reflect sunlight back into space. Especially those emissions from air travel which are directly responsible for highly reflective contrails criss-crossing the skies.

Some scientists now consider that the effects of global dimming have significantly masked the effect of global warming and that resolving global dimming may therefore lead to increases in future temperature rise. [21][22] According to Beate Liepert, "We lived in a global warming plus a global dimming world and now we are taking out global dimming. So we end up with the global warming world, which will be much worse than we thought it will be, much hotter".
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Do not celebrate.

The reduction of emissions in China is corresponded by a fall in the emission of reflective aerosols that reflect sunlight back into space. Especially those emissions from air travel which are directly responsible for highly reflective contrails criss-crossing the skies.

Some scientists now consider that the effects of global dimming have significantly masked the effect of global warming and that resolving global dimming may therefore lead to increases in future temperature rise. [21][22] According to Beate Liepert, "We lived in a global warming plus a global dimming world and now we are taking out global dimming. So we end up with the global warming world, which will be much worse than we thought it will be, much hotter".

We always know we can trust you Penguin to give us the unbiased truth.....
Do not celebrate.

Read that too, but surely that would be a problem with reducing emissions in any way? Is this being considered by countries like brirtain that want to go carbon neutral?

And tbh, i nthe long term will this really make a difference? like it may be a year, max.

Wasn't he the muppet who called Pakistan a "progressive" nation?
Reply 12
I'm betting several airlines will go bust this year. Jet fuel prices have fallen substansially and the demand has fallen to its lowest level in years for travel to the asia pacific region. Will be an interesting experiment to see if china can maintain its position as a global player. with people working less, if productivity stays at relatively decent levels it could very well mean the case for a 4 day week.

Hainnan is apparently looking into the abyss as we speak but im dubious this virus will sound the death bell of many a carrier, least of all any of the big ones who tend to have state backing.
As for maintaining its position as a global player? I wouldnt say its really in question to be honest. Unless this virus mutates into something truly terrifying - think 28 days later et al. - then this is little more than a roadbump and one that theyve faced worse of during previous outbreaks.

If you do not trust me, trust Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming
If climate change is ever going to be combatted, it needs to start with China and India lowering their pollution. There is no point Europe does anything until then.
Reply 15
Original post by It’s Jacob
If climate change is ever going to be combatted, it needs to start with China and India lowering their pollution. There is no point Europe does anything until then.

You know the US polutes over double the amount of India?
Well I have concluded that the only way for improvement would be death of large amounts of people.

So for the survivors, good news.

For those affected, well I'm sorry...
If you do not trust me, trust Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming

Yeah I know you've just copied and pasted it.

The thing is, it seems to me as if you can't win, and I still don't understand it. We are seeing levels of global dimming increase, yet so is global warming. We stopped damaging the ozone layer (good thing) by using less aerosols. Yet there is talk of geoengineering by releasing large amount of aerosols into the air. This could halve CO2 emissions or even reverse them completely but obviously very risky, and it creates acid rain and pollution.
Do not celebrate.

Don't tell us what to do, we don't live under the Chinese dictatorship.

They will just back to killing the environment when the environment has finished killing them
fascinating

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending