The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

2 genders change my mind

I want to see if my mind can be changed

Scroll to see replies

I think you mean 2 sexes.
yeah but we all know however much we educate you your views won’t change - stop wasting our time :troll:
Reply 3
I've seen this same title before.
can you find middle ground?
you can say there are ‘four sexualities’: gay straight, asexual and bisexual
then there are four ‘genders’
male, female, both (fluid), none (agender)
deal?
Reply 5
Original post by watershower
can you find middle ground?
you can say there are ‘four sexualities’: gay straight, asexual and bisexual
then there are four ‘genders’
male, female, both (fluid), none (agender)
deal?

There is so much more nuance to sexuality than that though.
I'd not look to bargain with the OP and his troll thread.
Original post by Glaz
yeah but we all know however much we educate you your views won’t change - stop wasting our time :troll:

You mean ‘our time’

Edit - nvm, didn’t read properly.
(edited 4 years ago)
OP has an opinion and is open to a different idea. Opens this discussion and just gets slated and labelled as a "troll". I think we should be able to have a rational discussion on a topic like this.
Original post by Greywolftwo
You mean ‘our time’

Edit - nvm, didn’t read properly.

:confused:
Reply 9
Original post by LeoKisia
I think the end of western civilization started when we let emotions, mental illnesses and plain insanity be included as 'rights' and be put in law. science has disapproved the belief that there are more than two genders or sexes- which are male and female. Nobody in the media is talking about 'the gay gene' anymore because it was a myth that was debunked. Now people are questioning genders? Trans-men are allowed to participate in girls sports. We are focused on homophobia but we are pretending that we are not creating a BIGGER monster called HETEROPHOBIA (which is the hate for opinion or views of straight people). You are EITHER MALE OR FEMALE

There is no hererophobia, straight people have never been ostracised, forced to hide who they are because the won't be accepted or been abused for it. Just because attention is now on other sexualities doesn't mean you are now going to be hated for yours, the whole point is that we don't want that to happen.
Reply 10
Intersex people. Though it is due to being partially two sexes, but I’d say it’s basically a 3rd gender.
Original post by Em.-.
Intersex people. Though it is due to being partially two sexes, but I’d say it’s basically a 3rd gender.

Isn't that a genetic abnormality though? I don't think abnormalities are included in sexes, just as anatomically a human has 10 fingers, despite there being some people who are born with more.
Original post by tellur1an
OP has an opinion and is open to a different idea. Opens this discussion and just gets slated and labelled as a "troll". I think we should be able to have a rational discussion on a topic like this.

Haha of course we should be able to, but we can't. How long until shouts of trans denier are used to stifle debate. (If it hasn't been already) 😁
Original post by Bio 7
I've seen this same title before.

So many times...

OP could make the 5 minutes of effort to google this and ask non-binary people their experiences, obviously they don't care enough to do this. Therefore they don't really want to change their mind, they just want to antagonise.

Original post by fred8652
I want to see if my mind can be changed

OP if you're serious about learning about nonbinary identity, here is the video that helped me understand it best.
Original post by Em.-.

I guess it comes down to how you define gender. If gender is defined by your sex, then you can't really change it and I'd probably agree with you that a minority of people are born with a disorder and don't fit into the categories. Then again, more and more, people are considering gender to be a social construct, not defined by your sexual organs but instead by... masculine and feminine traits (there's no real definition here, it means something different to everyone)? The words were used interchangeably in the past, but doing the same today just caused confusion.

If we are making that distinction between sex and gender, I'd argue there should be no genders. Gender is a concept, a label we give ourselves that reinforces stereotypes (man up, don't be a pus*y, boys don't cry, women bring up children, etc). Interestingly, gender dysphoria signs in children (according to the NHS), are that a child may refuse to wear typical boys' or girls' clothes or dislike taking part in typical boys' or girls' games/activities - also completely based on stereotypes and what is considered "normal". Why can't a girl wear trousers? If a boy likes playing with dolls, does that mean he should be a girl? Perhaps if we took more steps to eradicate these stereotypes and be a little more open minded about kids and what they "should" be playing with, we would find less people changing gender. On the other hand, sex is something that can be physically and biologically defined.

I'd like to make it clear now that I have the utmost respect for anyone who is transgender or gender neutral. It takes a lot of courage to go against the norms of society. It's an interesting topic, and I think it's very important to be tolerant and respectful when discussing this.
Original post by Reality Check
So many times...

Time and time again
Original post by Ray_Shadows
Time and time again

It's almost as prevalent as 'is 5'11" too short' or 'I heard the average penis size is 14 inches - is that true' type threads. And definitely as boring.
I guess it comes down to how you define gender. If gender is defined by your sex, then you can't really change it and I'd probably agree with you that a minority of people are born with a disorder and don't fit into the categories. Then again, more and more, people are considering gender to be a social construct, not defined by your sexual organs but instead by... masculine and feminine traits (there's no real definition here, it means something different to everyone)? The words were used interchangeably in the past, but doing the same today just caused confusion.

If we are making that distinction between sex and gender, I'd argue there should be no genders. Gender is a concept, a label we give ourselves that reinforces stereotypes (man up, don't be a pus*y, boys don't cry, women bring up children, etc). Interestingly, gender dysphoria signs in children (according to the NHS), are that a child may refuse to wear typical boys' or girls' clothes or dislike taking part in typical boys' or girls' games/activities - also completely based on stereotypes and what is considered "normal". Why can't a girl wear trousers? If a boy likes playing with dolls, does that mean he should be a girl? Perhaps if we took more steps to eradicate these stereotypes and be a little more open minded about kids and what they "should" be playing with, we would find less people changing gender. On the other hand, sex is something that can be physically and biologically defined.

I'd like to make it clear now that I have the utmost respect for anyone who is transgender or gender neutral. It takes a lot of courage to go against the norms of society. It's an interesting topic, and I think it's very important to be tolerant and respectful when discussing this.

Bravo for this comment :congrats:
Reply 19
Original post by Reality Check
It's almost as prevalent as 'is 5'11" too short' or 'I heard the average penis size is 14 inches - is that true' type threads. And definitely as boring.

They are all so boting. It's like google isn't a thing if they really had those questions.

Latest

Trending

Trending